Funny stories!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got 2

Bono was on vacation with Jimmy Buffet just after the Zoo TV tour ended...anyway they were flying in to Jamaica and the Jamaican police had been tipped off about a drug plane scheduled to land on the island...when they saw Jimmy's plane with Bono in it, they instructed it to land...when it didn't come down, the police opened fire on the plane putting a few bullet holes into it, once they realized whose plane they had shot, they quickly apologized and found someone immediately to fix it. Jimmy wrote a song about the incident called the "Jamaica Mistaka"

story #2 is about the group celebrating their grammy wins in 2001 in new orleans, and somehow Bono ended up drinking red wine which makes him drowsy...long story short, he was found asleep on the mens bathroom floor.

:giggle: that first one I didn't know about yet... this is the 2nd :

TIME magazine March 4th, 2002 "Can Bono Save The World?"
Quote:
At 1:30 a.m., exactly five hours after his bravura Super Bowl show, Bono is exercising the rock star's fundamental right to be ridiculous. At a celebratory post-game dinner in the French Quarter with his band mates, the U2 management team and actress Ashley Judd (an old friend), he throws back some red wine, tells a few stories about Frank Sinatra, leaves a rambling cell-phone message for Judd's husband gently informing him that his wife has been kidnapped by a rock band, and then sneaks off to the bathroom for a cigarette. (Bono thinks the rest of U2 doesn't know he smokes; they know.) After 15 minutes, guitarist the Edge, who adopts a kind, paternalistic role toward his childhood friend and band mate, glances toward the bathroom and says nervously, "Bono's allergic to red wine." Sure enough, Bono has passed out on the bathroom floor. U2's deputy manager, Sheila Roche, is unconcerned and continues sipping her drink. "He's probably just taking a nap. He's an excellent napper," she says. A few minutes later, Bono emerges rumpled but renewed. As he exits the restaurant and makes his way through the mob on Bourbon Street, he throws his hands in the air and screams to no one in particular, "No, I will not do the snake dance for you!"

oh cmon Bono, do the snake dance for us!(whaveter it is :p)

First time I saw Bono speak, he was wearing a red sock, a green sock, and his fly was down. :giggle: I didn't even notice until I noticed him notice and zip it up!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
First time I saw Bono speak, he was wearing a red sock, a green sock, and his fly was down. :giggle: I didn't even notice until I noticed him notice and zip it up!

:ohmy:

:lmao:

Was that the session where he had the really ugly sweater on?

Souly said:

:lmao:

Was that the session where he had the really ugly sweater on?

Actually, no, hehe! I met him in the morning and he had on a black suit, etc, and blue shades, but at the speech he wore a greenish jacket, black pants, the backwards green hat, and NO SHADES! It was December, so maybe the socks were supposed to be like Christmas? Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit :lol:

Actually, no, hehe! I met him in the morning and he had on a black suit, etc, and blue shades, but at the speech he wore a greenish jacket, black pants, the backwards green hat, and NO SHADES! It was December, so maybe the socks were supposed to be like Christmas? Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit :lol:

Is there any photographic proof of this fashion catastrophe?

Definatly think you're giving him too much credit :D

I was thinking of this puke green sweater:

29183ccb.jpg

There is also a story where he was giving an interview or something and decided to do it in the nude and stripped right there in the restaurant....anyone else have better details.

Galeongirl said:
As he exits the restaurant and makes his way through the mob on Bourbon Street, he throws his hands in the air and screams to no one in particular, "No, I will not do the snake dance for you!"

:lmao: Oh man, I'm SO doing that this weekend when I'm out.. :shifty:

JCOSTER said:
There is also a story where he was giving an interview or something and decided to do it in the nude and stripped right there in the restaurant....anyone else have better details.

i heard that too! he was at dinner with ali and gavin, and this reporter came up to him and started asking him questions, and he wanted to make the reporter uncomfortable so that he would go away, and the whole restaurant was acting like it was completely normal. hahaha

Souly said:

Definatly think you're giving him too much credit :D

I was thinking of this puke green sweater:

29183ccb.jpg

That was at the New York Times interview and the jacket he had over it wasn't much better :happy: I should scan my pictures :shifty:

Too much credit. If I remember correctly, Bono said in his Time Person of the Year profile that he would wear the same clothes over and over unless someone else picked them up and took care of them for him ...

Bono without shades, no matter what else he's in ... :drool:

Although I would prefer to see him in suits more often. :shh:

Okay, could we get back to the funny stories before this thread turns into the Fashion Police? Please? :wink:

Last edited:
at my concert in miami, the crowd started to get really loud during the middle of the show, and bono says "I can understand why they call this the American Airlines Arena...it sounds like a f*uckin 747 in here!"

^ :lol:

Speaking of funny concert stories - Bono and Edge tried to get a speaker phone working(Toronto 9/16) to call BB King for his birthday. They couldn't, so Bono just talked to him via regular phone. After we all sang him Happy Birthday, Bono laughed and said "I know we sound white, we're a rock band"

The entire Grand Madness interview piece is hilarious, my favorite band clip. The guy begging Larry to go in the lemon, Edge's hat trick, everyone fighting over who used what supermodel's name as their hotel alias, the re-gifting, etc. Someone should really get it on youtube.

I like that green sweater :reject:

The time story about the snake dance ahs allways been my favorite

JCOSTER said:

Ahhh!! The "Nude Interview"...I dont have all the details but U2 were being interviewed , The interview was not goinmg so well so Bono decided to change the mood by stripping down to "nothing":evil:...Then Bono asked the interviewer to ask him anything...The journalist ask Bono, why did you take off all your clothes??Edge answered for him and said "Because he is a Rock Star with the biggest ego in the world", and Adam replied: with the smallest Willie".....

((Sorry if it was not quoted correctly , Im just winging the story)):wink:

There are a lot of U2 funny stories ...2 come to mind....

1)) On the first leg of the October tour There was a lot of professional and personal tension within the bandmember, but Bono had more strain than anyone. For months he had been uptight about everything , He would turn around and glare at Larry, Edge or Adam if a drum pattern changed or aq guitar diviated from the line. Bono was hyper the last time they played in new Haven, Towards the end of the gig Larrys snare stand broke. All Bono knew is that Larry stopped playing. Forgetting about the audience and the performance he turned enraged to find Larry grinning sheepishly.Bono charged huriling his akward bulk at the drummer, who took evasive action by jumping off backstage. Bono kicked the drum kit over, as it crashed around the stage. The audience roared in approval, they thought it was part of the show.
Bono ran after Larry, As he got to the rim of the stage, Edge reached out and grabbed Bono by the hair. The guitarist rarely lost his cool but now the welsh passion so slowly roused boiled over and raged at Bono. Edge wanted to kick the singers head in . Pod prevented that....
Bono stayed out all night. The anger drained away to be replaced
by the remmorse he expressed when he came home for breakfast-time. They laughed and put it down to pressure and the dangers and unrealiable snare stands...

((I read trhis story in 4 different books, interviews, just told a bit different each time))---Speaking of which there was another incident I believe Elevation or POP..I cant recall the era where Bono was so angry he threw his mic at Larry!!..Thank God Larry ducked in time..(( I know not a funny story but it came to mind)):|

2)) Fly Bono's very very tight leather pants ripped at the seat during a Zoo gig, he had a girl- fan help him tape them up...:lol:

^^ would have been very funny to see!!:lol:

Last edited:
^^ 2 more....

1)) During a JT gig I think in Arizona (not sure) Bono had invited his father Bob...He had arranged at one point in the show to surprise his dad by introducing him...
When that time came Bono had a a spotlight set into the audience and right at his father..introducing him, Bob was so taken aback, he angrily flipped off Bono.

^^ I hope I got that one somewhat right...

2)) A lot of us know about Adam in the loo incident during the 1987 Grammys...I have that on tape...Priceless!:lmao:

does anyone know why edge got mad during the Boston dvd and threw down his guitar after "Gone"?

Back
Top Bottom