For Cat Lovers Only...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a good picture of my cat sticking her tongue out (cell phone, so I'm not going to bother uploading it)

d1-catfight.gif

I = frustrated.

Last night, I get up at 2am to use the bathroom, only to find that AGAIN Eden has wizzed all over the shower mat and it reaks. I toss the mat in the laundry room, scrub the piss with Comet, and then douse the entire area with the pet cleaner-upper stuff. This morning I wake up only to find huge puddles of urine covering the linoleum. :|

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I = frustrated.

Last night, I get up at 2am to use the bathroom, only to find that AGAIN Eden has wizzed all over the shower mat and it reaks. I toss the mat in the laundry room, scrub the piss with Comet, and then douse the entire area with the pet cleaner-upper stuff. This morning I wake up only to find huge puddles of urine covering the linoleum. :|

If her meds are done she should go back for a follow up urinalysis. Removing cat urine smell is one of the most difficult things to do. The cat will just continue to pee in the same spot if they can smell it . Make sure you are using a product with enzymes in it. OUT! is one or Natures Miracle.

Sicy said:

If her meds are done she should go back for a follow up urinalysis. Removing cat urine smell is one of the most difficult things to do. The cat will just continue to pee in the same spot if they can smell it . Make sure you are using a product with enzymes in it. OUT! is one or Natures Miracle.

That's what I've been telling Melissa (to take her back to the vet). Mainly b/c the cat still cries/whines anytime you touch her (I can't tell if she's in pain or just doesn't like it) and the peeing habbit hasn't changed. Melissa's already had to re-carpet her bedroom. Eden used to pee next to the litter box. She only pees on rugs, indoor/outdoor carpet, or linoleum so Melissa ripped up her crappy indoor/outdoor carpet and laid a scrap of thicker carpet.

It just sucks b/c I feel so bad for this poor cat. We got her from this disgusting rescue where they have over 200 cats living in a single space. ALL of them were sick. Eden had an eye infection when we got her, which thank God they gave us the prescription for. I really wonder if she's always had this UTI. The vet said she got it from being picky about the cleanliness of the box and holding it too long. Funny since we have FIVE boxes we clean every other day (three are HUGE) and at the rescue there were 200 cats in a space where it wouldn't be possible to have 201 boxes. I know they're trying to be helpful and kind, but seriously, that place is not healthy for any cat or human volunteer. They started with only one. They have cats in such poor condition, I know they will never be adopted when you can get healthy kittens from shelters for a cheaper price. It's really sad. We couldn't not take Eden after we visited and realized how bad it was b/c we'd all seen her online and picked her out before we even got there (took a while to find her amongst the 200). I always had huge respect for no-kill rescues, but now I'm not so sure :( I've seen people busted for a lot less on Animal Cops. There was one kitty there that was really small, had a bad eye, was feral, had been shot in the head, and was missing hair. Who is going to adopt a cat like that and why does he have to lead such a miserable life fending for food and space among 200 others? They only have one vet, ONE vet for over 200 cats that are all sick with upper respiratory infection and most of which have additional problems. We were happy to pay $75 for Eden even though you can get spayed kittens for $50 from the county shelter and sometimes get cats for free from the lab, but not enough people adopt their cats in order for them to make enough to provide adequate conditions.

Last edited:

That's what I've been telling Melissa (to take her back to the vet). Mainly b/c the cat still cries/whines anytime you touch her (I can't tell if she's in pain or just doesn't like it) and the peeing habbit hasn't changed. Melissa's already had to re-carpet her bedroom. Eden used to pee next to the litter box. She only pees on rugs, indoor/outdoor carpet, or linoleum so Melissa ripped up her crappy indoor/outdoor carpet and laid a scrap of thicker carpet.

It just sucks b/c I feel so bad for this poor cat. We got her from this disgusting rescue where they have over 200 cats living in a single space. ALL of them were sick. Eden had an eye infection when we got her, which thank God they gave us the prescription for. I really wonder if she's always had this UTI. The vet said she got it from being picky about the cleanliness of the box and holding it too long. Funny since we have FIVE boxes we clean every other day (three are HUGE) and at the rescue there were 200 cats in a space where it wouldn't be possible to have 201 boxes. I know they're trying to be helpful and kind, but seriously, that place is not healthy for any cat or human volunteer. They started with only one. They have cats in such poor condition, I know they will never be adopted when you can get healthy kittens from shelters for a cheaper price. It's really sad. We couldn't not take Eden after we visited and realized how bad it was b/c we'd all seen her online and picked her out before we even got there (took a while to find her amongst the 200). I always had huge respect for no-kill rescues, but now I'm not so sure :( I've seen people busted for a lot less on Animal Cops. There was one kitty there that was really small, had a bad eye, was feral, had been shot in the head, and was missing hair. Who is going to adopt a cat like that and why does he have to lead such a miserable life fending for food and space among 200 others? They only have one vet, ONE vet for over 200 cats that are all sick with upper respiratory infection and most of which have additional problems. We were happy to pay $75 for Eden even though you can get spayed kittens for $50 from the county shelter and sometimes get cats for free from the lab, but not enough people adopt their cats in order for them to make enough to provide adequate conditions.

God, that's awful. :(

LivLuv, have they ruled out chronic UT issues for Eden? Sometimes they need prescription food to keep thier body chemistry balanced right so UTI's don't occur. One of my cats has this. It sucks because IMO the prescription food isn't very good quality, but it does control the chronic UT issues I will say that.

In any case, your roomie needs to take her back to the vet for another exam and and a repeat of the UA.

I hear what you are saying about that shelter. In fact, I have a good guess as to which one it is, based on your geography (but I could be wrong, there are unfortunately a lot of places like that). If it's the one I am thinking of, though, they are so dysfunctional as to boggle the mind, I know from personal experience.

But not all no-kills are that way...there are lots who are doing it right, i.e., finding ways to house adoptable animals (including foster care) until they can be placed, being proactive (but still careful) about placement, and making sure that the animals they are housing are well cared for and not overcrowded. Just food for thought...

Catlady said:
LivLuv, have they ruled out chronic UT issues for Eden? Sometimes they need prescription food to keep thier body chemistry balanced right so UTI's don't occur. One of my cats has this. It sucks because IMO the prescription food isn't very good quality, but it does control the chronic UT issues I will say that.

In any case, your roomie needs to take her back to the vet for another exam and and a repeat of the UA.

I hear what you are saying about that shelter. In fact, I have a good guess as to which one it is, based on your geography (but I could be wrong, there are unfortunately a lot of places like that). If it's the one I am thinking of, though, they are so dysfunctional as to boggle the mind, I know from personal experience.

But not all no-kills are that way...there are lots who are doing it right, i.e., finding ways to house adoptable animals (including foster care) until they can be placed, being proactive (but still careful) about placement, and making sure that the animals they are housing are well cared for and not overcrowded. Just food for thought...

I explained to Melissa that Eden should go back, so she will probably take her.

I'm glad you understand my feelings about the rescue. I do love cats and I don't want to sound like a heartless bitch, but the conditions there were terrible. It's called Crash's Landing. I didn't know it would be so bad b/c my cousin picked a cat there for her birthday and my uncle never said anything about it. I think their problem is they take ANY cat, even ones that are totally feral or ones that are 10 years old and 20 lbs overweight, ones that have chronic disabilities or illnesses. Honestly, I don't think it's fair to those cats to put them all in a few rooms with several hundred and have them fighting for food and litter space. Yes, they are social with other cats, but most of them hated being touched or ran from us. I actually put in an anonymous tip with the police department because I don't think the conditions there are healthy for any animal or human volunteer. We were there for a half hour and left feeling sick and all had headaches. There's just not enough litter boxes, not enough space for litter boxes, and even if you had a volunteer cleaning litter boxes 24 hrs a day, you still wouldn't be able to keep up.

For example, I just browsed through their current listing of 218 cats and one is 20 lbs (grossly overweight for his stature), was previously sheltered for over a year with no luck, and has FIV. Now I don't know much about FIV, but I thought it's incurable and can be transmitted to other cats.

I have 10 cats, all indoors. I feed them, give meds to the two currently taking them, and clean the four litterboxes I have twice a day. They have an attic (finished) and my bedroom to hang out in all the time and several of them like to come hang out in the rest of the house for varying amounts of time during the day (they stay in the bedroom or attic at night. The stairs to the attic are in my bedroom).

I love each of these cats dearly, but it is a challenge to keep everything running smoothly and give everyone enough attention (I also have two dogs and I take care of my down's syndrome aunt who also needs attention). I get cat spats all the time, although for the most part they are more "talk" than action (well, at least over the past several months -- last summer one of the cats [I'm pretty sure it was Isidore] bit MiloGuido right at the base of his tail and of course, poor Milo got a big nasty stinking abscess). And they all get along with the dogs too, so that is a big plus.

But I can't imagine having many more cats all together and be able to properly care for them (hell, sometimes now I feel like a bad mommy when I miss something), even if I had more help. I think you have to be really organised and have many places for the cats to be housed to make it work well. I think sometimes, even though it's hard, it is better to euthanize than keep them in deplorable conditions.

Catlady said:
Sometimes they need prescription food to keep thier body chemistry balanced right so UTI's don't occur. One of my cats has this. It sucks because IMO the prescription food isn't very good quality, but it does control the chronic UT issues I will say that.

Zoey has this problem also. :slant: I completely agree with you about the food. I was really upset that I had to switch her food from a really high quality no by-product food to such a crappy one. :angry: But it does control the problem so I have no choice.

That's terrible about the shelter. :(

That is terrible about the shelter. As much as I love the shelters and I've got 3 of my 5 from there, everytime I get them they are sick. Bucky and Bonzi had colds that they gave to Abigail and Tipsy when I brought them home. Oatmeal (the baby) had ear mits and gave them to all the cats.

I wish I can save all animals, I have such a soft spot for them. If it wasn't for my husband, I'd be the cat lady.

I now have 5 cats, 2 parakets, and 2 fish tanks. Oh, and of course the outside cats I feed.

For example, I just browsed through their current listing of 218 cats and one is 20 lbs (grossly overweight for his stature), was previously sheltered for over a year with no luck, and has FIV. Now I don't know much about FIV, but I thought it's incurable and can be transmitted to other cats.

Haven't been on here in a couple days so very late responding here...that's not the shelter I was thinking it was but it sounds very similar to one in NW Indiana where I got involved trying to help (to no avail) a long time ago. Let's just say I know the type.

A few words about FIV....being FIV+, IMO, is more a chronic condition than an actual disease. It can develop into full-blown Feline AIDS, but just being FIV+ doesn't mean the cat is sick. FIV can be transmitted to others but it takes a quite a bit of blood to blood contact. I know a lot of people who have FIV+ cats and non-FIV cats living together and none of the non-FIV cats have ever developed it. The greater concern is that the FIV+ cat is immune-compromised, so he or she is at a greater risk for catching upper resp or other things from other animals. In this case the FIV+ cat is less a risk to the others than they are to him or her, since so many of the cats in the general population there have upper resp and such. I really hope that cat is in an all FIV+ room or foster care.

Catlady, thanks for the info on FIV. That cat is definitely not receiving special care. At Crash's Landing, they have their "house" divided into two sections: in one section, the cats are kept mostly cages because they are either semi-feral or new to the shelter and need some time to adjust. The other half is basically 150 cats roaming about.

Update on Eden: We took her back to the vet for a UTI follow-up. Her infection is gone so it does not explain her continually peeing in the bathroom and in Melissa's room (even after we tore up the carpet and put in new carpet). The vet seems convinced that since she was feral and has only ever lived in the wild, or basically in wild conditions at the shelter, she is not and has never been litter trained. He advised us to attempt to litter train her, otherwise take her back to the shelter since they obviously were wrong in selling us a cat that was supposedly healthy and litter trained. We do NOT want to take her back to ANY shelter. For starters, we built her a huge, bi-level cage with everything she needs. So far, she has used the litter box. The vet said to keep her in there for a week (we take her out to hold her) and then we will confine her to a single room where she is the only cat and see if she's learned. If not, we're looking to place her in a situation where it would be OK for her to poop and pee outside, but she would still be fed because Crash's stupidly front declaws everyone. We know someone with land and he has outdoor "barn" cats that he still provides food for so we're thinking she would OK in a situation like that since she is spayed and otherwise healthy and is used to living outside and with many other cats.

It's such a shitty situation for so many reasons. 1) I'm against outdoor cats and don't want to have to give her away as a barn cat but 2) we can't in good conscience return her to that awful shelter because 3) they lied about their cats being healthy and litter trained and 4) we really do love her and she's such a lovely lap cat. Unfortunately, the vet seemed convinced that this is behavioral and if the cage training doesn't work, he told us not to feel bad about having to bring her back or place her somewhere else where she will be happy, healthy, and not stressed about the litter box issues.

Catlady, thanks for the info on FIV. That cat is definitely not receiving special care. At Crash's Landing, they have their "house" divided into two sections: in one section, the cats are kept mostly cages because they are either semi-feral or new to the shelter and need some time to adjust. The other half is basically 150 cats roaming about.

Update on Eden: We took her back to the vet for a UTI follow-up. Her infection is gone so it does not explain her continually peeing in the bathroom and in Melissa's room (even after we tore up the carpet and put in new carpet). The vet seems convinced that since she was feral and has only ever lived in the wild, or basically in wild conditions at the shelter, she is not and has never been litter trained. He advised us to attempt to litter train her, otherwise take her back to the shelter since they obviously were wrong in selling us a cat that was supposedly healthy and litter trained. We do NOT want to take her back to ANY shelter. For starters, we built her a huge, bi-level cage with everything she needs. So far, she has used the litter box. The vet said to keep her in there for a week (we take her out to hold her) and then we will confine her to a single room where she is the only cat and see if she's learned. If not, we're looking to place her in a situation where it would be OK for her to poop and pee outside, but she would still be fed because Crash's stupidly front declaws everyone. We know someone with land and he has outdoor "barn" cats that he still provides food for so we're thinking she would OK in a situation like that since she is spayed and otherwise healthy and is used to living outside and with many other cats.

It's such a shitty situation for so many reasons. 1) I'm against outdoor cats and don't want to have to give her away as a barn cat but 2) we can't in good conscience return her to that awful shelter because 3) they lied about their cats being healthy and litter trained and 4) we really do love her and she's such a lovely lap cat. Unfortunately, the vet seemed convinced that this is behavioral and if the cage training doesn't work, he told us not to feel bad about having to bring her back or place her somewhere else where she will be happy, healthy, and not stressed about the litter box issues.

It sounds as if you are doing everything you can for her.

You know, if she doesn't get better about using the litter box I wouldn't feel too bad about her living outside (in the situation you described). When I moved last September I had to leave two of my cats behind with the people who bought my house (they were my next door neighbors), because these two cats were terrified of being in the house, and here they can't go outside at all. They are fed and loved and happy there. I miss them, but it really is better for them.

You try to do what's best for them, but sometimes you have to have to let them live the way they are used to instead of the way you think is best.

do you guys have your cats declawed?

I recently read that it is not good for the cats

my cat is declawed in the front (but she was before we owned her)

I'm Ready said:

None of mine are.

De-clawing is essentially amputating a portion of the cat's toes.

I'm Ready said:

Beckham was front declawed before I got him. Posh and Max were not and I have this one crappy couch they're allowed to scratch, so we don't really have problems with scratching other furniture. Eden was also front declawed by the shelter.

Depending on the procedure, it's usually very painful for the cats and isn't really necessary provided you clip the nails once a week or so and make sure the cat has something s/he is allowed to scratch. My cats with claws never intentionally scratch me or each other. Sometimes they scratch my armchair, which I don't like, but I just say NO and lift their claws off and they go on to do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom