Football or Rock & Roll?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Football or Rock & Roll?

• Football

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • Rock & Roll

Votes: 34 58.6%

• Total voters
J_NP said:
I still dont know what the heck is soccer , is like a fight sports , inspired by old batman series , when the punchs were thrown and there was like "Soc" ? :eyebrow:

Anyway choice 1 , give a break to u2 now :wink:

we dont know what soccer is either , we call it football.

J_NP said:
I still dont know what the heck is soccer , is like a fight sports , inspired by old batman series , when the punchs were thrown and there was like "Soc" ? :eyebrow:

I still don't know what football exactly is. Is it rugby union football? Is it rugby league football? Is it Australian Rules football? Is it American football? Is it Gaelic football?

See, this is why the term 'soccer' is immensely useful.

I'd take number two for soccer. Honestly, all they do is kick the ball back and forth across the mid-line.

Two things:

1) I've never seen U2 live.
2) I hate soccer.

So, it's a no-brainer for me.

You need to look it historicaly, when football was invented in England and then by accident Americans take that name for theirs game and call football soccer.I might be wrong , but i thing first there was football, then American football

Sorry bout speling errors, i come from friday drinking party

roy keane said:
You need to look it historicaly, when football was invented in England and then by accident Americans take that name for theirs game and call football soccer.I might be wrong , but i thing first there was football, then American football

Nope. To quote from Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other versions of football played at the time. The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford University student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football.

But let's assume soccer has the strongest historical claim to being called 'football'. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to call ANY sport 'football', simply due to the confusion it can cause nowadays, regardless of any historical claim. I hate it when Americans call their sport 'football'. I hate it when Victorians call Aussie Rules 'football'. I hate it when my fellow New Zealanders call rugby union 'football'. It's unclear, imprecise, and can easily cause confusion. That's why I always stick to more precise names such as soccer. Everyone knows what sport is meant by 'soccer'.

Axver said:

Nope. To quote from Wikipedia:

The rules of football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863, and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other versions of football played at the time. The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford University student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football.

But let's assume soccer has the strongest historical claim to being called 'football'. Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to call ANY sport 'football', simply due to the confusion it can cause nowadays, regardless of any historical claim. I hate it when Americans call their sport 'football'. I hate it when Victorians call Aussie Rules 'football'. I hate it when my fellow New Zealanders call rugby union 'football'. It's unclear, imprecise, and can easily cause confusion. That's why I always stick to more precise names such as soccer. Everyone knows what sport is meant by 'soccer'.

"Football" should be reserved for a game that is predominantly played by controlling a ball by the use of one's foot.

Soccer IS Football

^agree...any other sport that is called football actually predominantly uses hands...soccer is the only sport known as football that only use feet 99% if the time, except for goalkeepers and for throw-ins.

american football was named for no apparent reason - but that doesn't mean it isn't better

(yes, the american answer)

although, if we decided to change the name, i wouldn't be against it because football doesn't make sense for it

the television rights to broadcast National Football League games... the NFL, if you will... were sold for 3.1 billion dollars per year. the annual revenue of the NFL exceeds 10 billion dollars per year, and the net worth of NFL teams exceeds 30 billion dollars.

yea... i don't think they'll be droppoing the "football" anytime soon.

toscano said:

"Football" should be reserved for a game that is predominantly played by controlling a ball by the use of one's foot.

Soccer IS Football

Aussie Rules is a predominantly kicking based game too. You could make a case that Aussie Rules IS football.

Let's just alleviate the confusion and use widely understood terms. Soccer is a far less problematic name than football.

I don't care what it's called. Where I come from, it's perfectly acceptable to call it either football or soccer. Since Aussie Rules football and American football are incredibly unpopular in South Africa, people know what you're talking about when you say 'football.' I have no personal preference.

As for the question, I'd take the football. Just for the sheer shock of seeing South Africa in the final two. :lol:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the television rights to broadcast National Football League games... the NFL, if you will... were sold for 3.1 billion dollars per year. the annual revenue of the NFL exceeds 10 billion dollars per year, and the net worth of NFL teams exceeds 30 billion dollars.

yea... i don't think they'll be droppoing the "football" anytime soon.

I always refer to it as the NFL anyway. :shrug:

I live in America. When I talk about football, people know what I mean.

Many people on this forum live in England, for example. When they talk about football, their fellow Englishmen and women know what they mean.

Any confusion can be cleared up in about .4923048 seconds, after which the confused parties can laugh jovially and bask in their culture differences.

It's simple.

^It's not at all simple, the superiority of the sports must be angrily debated for around 6 hours until it breaks down into wrestling matches, and finally who can chug the most beer.

There is a clear set of rules for such discussion:p

:lol: of course...well in that case I declare football the best. :mad:

I voted for the U2 btw, just because I'm not that big on soccer (although I'm starting to get into it). Plus God forbid the US made the finals we'd lose anyway, so...

It'd be nice to see them in concert, and really I just want to go to Hawaii.

The U2 concert, although I love football (soccer, whatever)

1/I've never seen U2 live, in fact the only other concert I've been to was an Oasis concert.

2/ U2, as people, mean more to me than David Beckham. I'm not actually a massive fan of English football. Yeah I watch them but I'm more of a fan of Henry, Brazil and Croatia. But that said i'm not as big as a fan as I used to be. Two years ago I would have said option 1, even though I've always admired Bono and U2 have always been my favorite band. But now I've into U2 even more recently and haven't followed the sport as much as I used to.

3/ Come on, it's Hawaii! I'm from England, so a vacation in Germany doesn't seem as attractive as a once in a lifetime visit to one of my top places to visit in America. Berlin is only a one hour plane journey

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

that is evil - evil!

England in the World Cup Final or U2 abroad????????

I would be torn, distressingly so BUT I think I would have to go to the World Cup Final on the basis it is a one off once in a lifetime opportunity whereas there would be a good chance I can see the same U2 concert at a home venue or at least closer and they are likely to tour again.

No. 2.

While I don't mind watching big soccer tournaments (our team made the finals? when pigs fly...), I'd much rather get my first chance at seeing U2 live.

By the way, is there some reason U2 hasn't given some sort of concert during the World Cup? Is there a single person on this earth who doesn't want this to happen???

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if the poll was

1 - a trip to see your country play in germany in the world cup final

or

2 - a trip to the local pub to see a bon jovi cover band

i'd give serious consideration to #2... and i wipe my ass with bon jovi.

:(

Poor unelinghtened souls, sheltered and deliberately distancing themselves from the rest of the world while they continue to follow all these sub-standard sports that no one else in their right mind would even give a thought to.

Obsessed by a game called "football" (which isn't really football) and is wimpy and nothing interesting ever happens.

Basketball is a "has-been", a fad that the rest of the world has grown out of.

I feel sorry for you. Your missing out on the world's greatest party. In a world where there is so much pointless war and religious and politically motivated hate, real football is a necessary escape.

Axver said:

Also, the idea of New Zealand not only qualifying for the World Cup but making the final is just so funny that I'd have to actually be in attendance to believe it's happening.

Hehe....

And if New Zealand don't start overcoming heavyweight football nations such as Vanuatu, it will continue to remain beyond belief.

But I actually think that New Zealand will have a greater chance of qualifying now that Australia is part of Asia. I mean what are FIFA gonna do with the winner of Oceania? Give them a .25 spot? That's unlikely. So perhaps FIFA will continue to designate the .5 spot to the Oceania winner, and perhaps the winner of Oceania will play off against a 3th or 4th or 5th or 6th placegetter from AsiA or CONCACAF, which means New Zealand could enter a situation where they are just 2 matches away from a berth in the 2010 world cup. Interesting times lay ahead for New Zealand football.

the oceania federation has decided that australias place will be determined by the winner of a tourament with small countries like american samoa and that, then the top 2 oceania sides will play off for a chance to play the 5th placed team from either Aisa or South America for a place in the world cup, mind you New Zealand wasent the 2nd place Oceaniac Team, Australia played off with the Solomen Islands and won like 10-0

Definitely a trip to Germany to see England in the world cup final. I love U2 but seeing my country in the final of the worlds greatest and most prestigious sports competition is too mouth watering to resist!

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom