First Listen Rituals......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
Hi guys and gals,

I remember that we had a thread on this for hut dab (aka HTDAAB).

What are your plans for the first listen of GOYB and NLOTH? I remember that there were some interesting rituals last time around.

For GOYB:

For me, the first listen HAS to be with noise canceling or sound isolating headphones. I have two younger children who make a LOT of noise. I can't have them polluting my first listen (my wife and I sometimes jokingly refer to our children as the C.O.C.C. ,Chorus of Crying Children. pronounced cock.).
All joking aside, my wife knows how important the first listen is so she'll be watching the children for me. I then want to test the song out on a few other stereo systems. I have a nice 5.1 system that I'd like to blare the music out of. I assume my 2yr old daughter will like GOYB and will dance around with it.
From there, I need to test it out on my wifes new bose stereo in her Mercedes ML500. I LOVE the sound in there. Maybe she'll let me take it work tomorrow.

For NLOTH:

I haven't made any firm listening plans for NLOTH yet. It's very rare that I get a whole hour to myself without interruptions from the COCC. I'm actually thinking of hiring a babysitter for NLOTH. We'll see.

So, tell me I'm not the only strange one out there who has thought this through in detail. What are your listening rituals? Will you be lighting candles or burning incense?

Kicking back on my bed with a big pair of headphones, with the album sleeve, purely listening and absorbing.

It'll be the wee hours off the morning here, and everyone will be sleeping (but me, so it'll be with the headphones)

I booked the day off for NLOTH,:hyper: so I can blast it away as loud and as many times as I want. The neighbours are gonna love me.

I always take the day off of the new cd, so I can have all day to absorb & digest it without distractions. (How can you tell I don't have kids)

My first listen will be in front of my pc on my 5 year old headphones (in case it leaks in the the middle of the night), I love those headphones :D
Or, in case it leaks in the middle of the day, on my stereo, at full volume. Every neighbour will listen to NLOTH in that case.
In case in doesn't leak, in my car cause I won't be able to wait til I get home.

Dark room, Bose headphones, NO skipping ahead. Hoping the song lasts forever and hoping it ends soon so I can hear the next song. Its been so long since I've had a first listen, I can't wait :heart:

I first thought for NLOTH a nice drive in the car would be ideal, but then I thought the possibilities of having an accident while listening to it for the first time would be greatly increased from all the excitement!
Just imagining Sexy Boots when the Riff kicks in gets me crazy

So i think now it will be at home, without interruptions!

Hi guys and gals,

I remember that we had a thread on this for hut dab (aka HTDAAB).

What are your plans for the first listen of GOYB and NLOTH? I remember that there were some interesting rituals last time around.

From there, I need to test it out on my wifes new bose stereo in her Mercedes ML500.

For NLOTH:

I haven't made any firm listening plans for NLOTH yet. It's very rare that I get a whole hour to myself without interruptions from the COCC. I'm actually thinking of hiring a babysitter for NLOTH. We'll see.

I was going to volunteer to PayPal u some money for the sitter, I have three under 6 years old, and I know the planet you are on -- BUT, I re-read your post and have canceled said PayPal donation - that Mercedes ML500 listen will probably work out just fine for you. :D

NLOTH - our kids have grown up listening to Bono and "Berdigo" -- the first listen will be a family one; and will likely last about 2 songs. After bedtime and an Olivia the Pig book; I will skulk to the basement and soak in the whole record -- probably twice.

I will try to keep it pure -- other than the first single, no MP3 this or download that for me -- it will also be sans pot, cigarettes, beer, wine, uppers, downers or anything else that could alter my state 'o mind.

Off Topic Completely -- if you get the chance go see the Cheech & Chong reunion tour -- counter-culture comedy at its finest. Fastest, funniest 2 hours of my life.

Remember sitting in front of an old radio transfixed with Dave Fanning's 1st play of Vertigo blasting out. It was a strange experience because it sounded different the first time than future times - seemed to be trying too hard to grasp it all, and then it became almost too familiar when I had it on CD.

Loving the Get on your Boots snippet already, So I guess I've lost my sexy boots virginity, but tomorrow I'll be blasting it out of either a laptop or a radio. With the album - headphones and album booklet all the way :) (Hell, you can even take it to the toilet : p)

So with GOYB, it will be on my MP4 player, with sound isolating headphones,I'll be jumping around my flat...
And album...I'll blast it out on my stereo system just for the first listen. after it just on mp4 player...

Uploading it to my iPod and either lying down on my bed with closed eyes and feeling the music (for Album) and for GOYB i'll probably be dancing around the house.

I'll just listen to it on my rarely used CD player in my room when I get home from school.

I have one of those iPod sound systems so I pretty much only use my CD player when listening to CDs for the first time.

I was going to volunteer to PayPal u some money for the sitter, I have three under 6 years old, and I know the planet you are on -- BUT, I re-read your post and have canceled said PayPal donation - that Mercedes ML500 listen will probably work out just fine for you. :D

NLOTH - our kids have grown up listening to Bono and "Berdigo" -- the first listen will be a family one; and will likely last about 2 songs. After bedtime and an Olivia the Pig book; I will skulk to the basement and soak in the whole record -- probably twice.

I will try to keep it pure -- other than the first single, no MP3 this or download that for me -- it will also be sans pot, cigarettes, beer, wine, uppers, downers or anything else that could alter my state 'o mind.

Off Topic Completely -- if you get the chance go see the Cheech & Chong reunion tour -- counter-culture comedy at its finest. Fastest, funniest 2 hours of my life.

Thanks BWu2BUffs. It's the thought that counts. Happy listening to you!

My chorale has a festival on the day of the album's release, so I'll be downloading the Japanese version on the 27th or so, and putting it on my iPod for the bus trip. If my classmates are obnoxiously loud, I am fully prepared to strangle them with my bare hands.
(Only joking! Sort of.)
I'd rather listen to the vinyl version I preordered for my first listen, but it's either this or waiting a day.

Before I was introduced to the wonderful world of leaks, I'd go into a quiet room with a CD player, the tracklist and album art in hand. Then I'd pace while listening to the album to get lost in it. Only the most anticipated albums got that treatment though. :up:

With leaks, I just listen to an album on the computer once it's quiet. :lol:

I have to admit, all the excitement for Bomb was gone before I bought the thing... so I will be tempted to avoid leaks this time.

I doubt i could wait if the album leaks as early as Bomb did. It would eat at me every second knowing it was out there.

Back
Top Bottom