Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can imagine by the time they tour, if they don't do a quick follow up, they'll have plenty of new material to play to not rely on the HITS. The problem with a band their age and well, status, is that people do want to hear those hits and U2 has a lot of hits.

I can imagine them playing 5 new songs off the bat, all the more upbeat songs, Miracle, Volcano, California, etc then getting into the more balladesque material.

i like the album, dont take me wrong. but...This is not commercial, not for masses, and U2 is a band for masses. problem is when they go on tour again, they will be playing AB and everything else which is what we love again and again. they are becoming like a vegas stand show repeating every night cause the new material dont hit like it used to. I love the album though cause I am a U2 fan.

Well this giant stage that the just gave away the album with will ensure a lot more people are familiar with the material and barring the 20th anniversary of AB/rescheduled shows of 2011 they have never put on a tour resting on their laurels. Remember how they started 360 shows? 4 brand new songs in a row. The Edge gave extensive remarks earlier this year of the band refusing to become a heritage act (I think it was in the Hollywood Reporter article in February). Don't worry just yet.

Oh and this sure as hell is commercial. It may not be what the majority of radio music is now (hip hop and EDM influenced pop music) but it's not some esoteric effort.

Up to Raised by Wolves. I love the whole thing so far but then I say that about every U2 new album. But something about this just feels a bit different. We might just have a classic on our hands here, I just hope the worlds prejudices against this great band don't hold it back. It's fucking phenomenal.

Anyone else having problems getting the digital booklet to work? I've deleted and redownloaded several times, my Mac won't recognize the format or thinks the file is damaged.

I'm on a PC in the US and it won't work for me either. Maybe its good in other iTunes stores just not the US. Maybe someone could send a link to the pdf?

U2 performed Miracle at the event today and they released the album for free on iTunes.

these songs are also a bit similar to each other -- one could call that cohesion, but i like how every single song on most other albums are clear and distinct worlds unto themselves.
Yeah, this is my major issue.
The first half a minute of the first half of the album seem completely interchangeable.

Sounds like a good album though :up:
Though indeed missing a "classic" U2 track.

The production is MUCH better than what I heard on Invisible and Ordinary Love. Bono's vocals are clear and concise...the instrumentation is BAD ASS...other than The Miracle, which is a bit too loud, this is a crisp clear sounding album, while not sounding overproduced. I need to hear the songs some more, but damn if this wasn't worth the wait...:applaud:

This is gonna be a weird comparison, but it reminds me a lot of Beastie Boys "To the 5 Boroughs" album.

I believe they had a 6 year gap in between albums, and when they returned, it was a relatively simple, beat oriented personal album, instead of a bunch of "hit singles" like you figured a big act would have after an extended break.

Yeah, this is my major issue.
The first half a minute of the first half of the album seem completely interchangeable.

Sounds like a good album though :up:
Though indeed missing a "classic" U2 track.

Every Breaking Wave, Iris, The Troubles, Song for Someone.

I have a really big fucking grin on my face right now.

Downloaded on a job site, and it was ready by the time I jumped in my ride. Cranked it with the windows down and roof back.

It only took 4 songs to get home, so I m pulled over in this park up the road, just soaking it in.

This is so far a very very good album.

Every Breaking Wave made me very happy.

Sent from my ass crack

i have a dumb question but what exactly happened (u2 related) at the Apple event today?

Tim Cook talked about the decade of U2/Apple collaboration and then brought them out to debut The Miracle live. Then there was a very contrived banter between Bono and Tim Cook that eventually led to them announced the album and that it would be available to all of iTunes 500 million users starting now.

Had no problem downloading it off iTunes. I'm listening to the album and so far, really do not like it. Way too polished and over produced. Sampled drum tracks, strings, female backing singers, guitar way back in the mix, almost no bass..... These guys have lost their way.

Actually, the production and cohesiveness of this album reminds me of Achtung Baby's production. Each song was different, but you could tell they were from that album.

I have the album....didnt realize there was a performance :up:

You didn't miss much there - I was disappointed with the song until I heard the album version.

I love the fact that NONE of my friends understand - but all of you do - how BRILLIANT it is to type "the album version" tonight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom