Fez, Morocco Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, I don't think Breathe has terribly notable lyrics at all. The first verse in particular is poor; "travelling salesperson/cockatoo" annoys me. It's the instrumentation that makes me interested.

Haha, the "shush now" cracks me up. It's so ... WTFy. That song manages to produce two of my favourite lines from the album, "escape yourself and gravity" and "I drove to the scene of the accident/And I sat there, waiting for me" (New Dawn Fades, anybody?), so I'll forgive some of the more odd lyrics that would be earning gushing praise if they came from Thom Yorke's lips.

I love the first verse of Breathe for the same reason that you find Unknown Caller's lyrical content so interesting; it's WTFy. It's different. And then there's this:

The roar that lies on the other side of silence
The forest fire that is fear so deny it

:drool:

Personally, I think Fez has the best lyrics on the album, but I feel that it's a mess musically. Some great ideas, but no coherence, so it doesn't hit me the way a song as brilliantly structured as Magnificent does.

And then there's this:

The roar that lies on the other side of silence
The forest fire that is fear so deny it

That's just a bit awkward right about now. I'm glad I hadn't noticed it until you quoted it.

Personally, I think Fez has the best lyrics on the album, but I feel that it's a mess musically. Some great ideas, but no coherence, so it doesn't hit me the way a song as brilliantly structured as Magnificent does.

They've been too structured for the last decade. Something adventurous and sprawling like Fez is absolute musical bliss to me.

Good luck.

We've all heard it and we aren't exactly in a hurry to stop talking about it.

PS It's good.
Hey now. I had no intention of trying to stop anybody. I'm just saying, I'm not going to be reading the posts. I can see at a glance which are about the album and easily ignore it. No problem.

It's only another week and a half :)

Hey now. I had no intention of trying to stop anybody. I'm just saying, I'm not going to be reading the posts. I can see at a glance which are about the album and easily ignore it. No problem.

It's only another week and a half :)

Heh, GG2's avoiding the thread because she doesn't want to hear about the album. A couple of others decided it wasn't worth avoiding their friends in the name of dodging spoilers for 10 days so they downloaded the leak even though they weren't going to.

Personally, if I could even say I have a release ritual, it's all the excitement of when the leak drops and eagerly downloading it.

That's just a bit awkward right about now. I'm glad I hadn't noticed it until you quoted it.

They've been too structured for the last decade. Something adventurous and sprawling like Fez is absolute musical bliss to me.

I think it's a damn good lyric, but the vocals are so heavily layered there that you can barely pick it out.

I understand. There are a lot of things I like about it, but it lacks...something. The intro is cool and all, but it is just duct taped on to the rest of the track. It doesn't sound right to me. I love it when the music really kicks in though and Bono starts wailing. That's a great moment.

Awesome :up: but I'm not here for long tonight. Tooooo sleepy. I hired boys so that I wouldn't have to do the hard work :mad: Bloody lazy shits.
Not here for long either. Getting to be 3 AM here and I'm pretty tired. I only got back from the boyfriend's an hour ago. Good times were had :)

:hyper::hyper::hyper: I'm working that day so I'm gonna buy it in the morning and put it on repeat all day
Yeah, it's my poor U2-disliking boyfriend's day off, which I usually spend with him. We'll go for breakfast in the morning, then get the album and I'll go home to listen to it. We can reconvene in the afternoon when I've had a bit of time to calm down :lol: Poor guy.

Not here for long either. Getting to be 3 AM here and I'm pretty tired. I only got back from the boyfriend's an hour ago. Good times were had :)

Yeah, it's my poor U2-disliking boyfriend's day off, which I usually spend with him. We'll go for breakfast in the morning, then get the album and I'll go home to listen to it. We can reconvene in the afternoon when I've had a bit of time to calm down :lol: Poor guy.

:lol: So you won't be screaming ,"oh my god, I freaking love this song!!!"

The day the album comes out, I'm going for a long drive on an appropriately straight, wide highway. I'll pick the album up at the store in the morning and hit the road.

My new CD ritual goes like this:

I get home. I go to my room and lock the door, making sure my parents know not to disturb me. I sit on the bed and unwrap the cellophane. I open the case and look at the CD and the inside of the case. Then I take it and put it in my stereo. I hit play and lie down on the foot of my bed, where the sound is best. Then I thumb through the liner notes while playing the entire album through.

For the second listen, I go to the internet and record my initial thoughts while replaying the album.

Well, Axver disappeared into EYKIW, so that's part of it. Otherwise, we would still be arguing about Breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom