Fez, Morocco Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the imagery in the brief Fez lyrics, and the music! The music! Holy shit. Speaking of the music ... I am totally in love with the beautiful, sparse, atmospheric guitar in White As Snow. And Bono's back in poetic storyteller mode! It's a dream come true. That song is like a sombre 2000s Heartland to me. And we all know how much I love Heartland. "The road refuses strangers" is one of my favourite lyrics from the album; it totally leapt out at me as a great piece of imagery on my first listen and it's stuck with me.

Lyrically, White as Snow is the most powerful track on the album for me, and probably the most haunting too. From the clips, the "highway straight and wide" lyric left me with chills and some of the strongest imagery ever presented to me by a U2 song. I find that the lyrics are so powerful, if the music was any...less minimal, I suppose...it would take away from the beauty of the song. I really have few words for how it makes me feel :ohmy:

You crazy kids and your Fez - Being Borns and White As Snows.

NLOTH, Magnificent, and Breathe are where it's at. All three are going to be insanely huge U2 live anthems. This is fact.

NLOTH, Magnificent, and Breathe are where it's at. All three are going to be insanely huge U2 live anthems. This is fact.

Frankly, Breathe is one of the four weakest tracks. I'm now rating Crazy Tonight ahead of it.

Still, not a bad song.

Nice set. But I think I topped it. :tongue:

Try listening to it sometime when you can. Its only weakness is how much it drags until COBL. You could also make the argument that I placed Streets too high in the set. Fuck it. Wire--->An Cat Dubh is fantastic.

I like that both of our sets are reasonable enough. I don't know about U2 playing nearly every song from NLOTH, but who knows?

Try listening to it sometime when you can. Its only weakness is how much it drags until COBL. You could also make the argument that I placed Streets too high in the set. Fuck it. Wire--->An Cat Dubh is fantastic.

I like that both of our sets are reasonable enough. I don't know about U2 playing nearly every song from NLOTH, but who knows?

Oh yeah, Wire --> ACD is great. I'd like it even more if it were Wire --> Twilight --> ACD. I keep maintaining that the band badly need to do Wire --> Twilight sometime. 11OTT --> Twilight too.

I certainly don't expect as much from NLOTH each night as we included. I imagine it'll be 5-6 with some rotation. Say, Breathe one night, Comedy the next; White As Snow one night, Cedars the next. And I don't think MOS or Fez will be played live at all.

Frankly, Breathe is one of the four weakest tracks. I'm now rating Crazy Tonight ahead of it.

Still, not a bad song.

After actually reading them through, I think Breathe has some of the best lyrics on the album. And they flow incredibly well. There are some very creative, fluid rhyme schemes in there.

In contrast, Unknown Caller's lyrics are starting to grate on me. Boner comes off as a pretentious fuck, really. And "shush, now!" just pisses me off. It's no coincidence that the best part of the song is the 1.5 minute instrumental break at the end.

Yes.
I don't get the big deal about Breathe. Not a bad song, but ehhh, it's not one of the stronger tracks.

The intro's good. The solo's the ghost of fucking Lovetown Desire! But the rest of the song doesn't really succeed in distinguishing itself for me. I think it's one of those fairly enjoyable album tracks you enjoy when it's on, but there's no hurry to return to it.

At any rate, I'm currently ranking the songs:

Very Fine U2 Listening
1. Magnificent
2. White As Snow
3. Fez

Fine U2 Listening
4. Cedars Of Lebanon
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. Unknown Caller
7. No Line On The Horizon
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Breathe

Only the final third is Fine U2 Listening
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Get On Your Boots

The intro's good. The solo's the ghost of fucking Lovetown Desire! But the rest of the song doesn't really succeed in distinguishing itself for me. I think it's one of those fairly enjoyable album tracks you enjoy when it's on, but there's no hurry to return to it.

At any rate, I'm currently ranking the songs:

Very Fine U2 Listening
1. Magnificent
2. White As Snow
3. Fez

Fine U2 Listening
4. Cedars Of Lebanon
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. Unknown Caller
7. No Line On The Horizon
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Breathe

Only the final third is Fine U2 Listening
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Get On Your Boots

I think mine would be:

1. Fez - Being Born
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Crazy Tonight
7. White As Snow
8. Cedars of Lebanon
9. Breathe
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Get On Your Boots

After actually reading them through, I think Breathe has some of the best lyrics on the album. And they flow incredibly well. There are some very creative, fluid rhyme schemes in there.

In contrast, Unknown Caller's lyrics are starting to grate on me. Boner comes off as a pretentious fuck, really. And "shush, now!" just pisses me off. It's no coincidence that the best part of the song is the 1.5 minute instrumental break at the end.

Huh, I don't think Breathe has terribly notable lyrics at all. The first verse in particular is poor; "travelling salesperson/cockatoo" annoys me. It's the instrumentation that makes me interested.

Haha, the "shush now" cracks me up. It's so ... WTFy. That song manages to produce two of my favourite lines from the album, "escape yourself and gravity" and "I drove to the scene of the accident/And I sat there, waiting for me" (New Dawn Fades, anybody?), so I'll forgive some of the more odd lyrics that would be earning gushing praise if they came from Thom Yorke's lips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom