EXCLUSICE - REVEIW THREAD #1 - PRIDE AND SECONDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
I've been posting review threads in EVerythign you kno wif wrong, but they never really get much response. A couple of people suggested posting in here, so I though I'd see what response it got.

Every week I post a review of two songs, and you post your reveiws of teh dsongs I choose. You can to your reviews however you want, but I would prefer it if you reviewed the specific version of the song that if a specify.
Ok, here goes:

Pride (in the name of Love) (live from Sidney (ZooTV))

Top quality song really - not much to say - as close to perfect as you can get - my thrid favourite U2 song, there's very little at fault with this song. I love it when Martin-Luthor King comes on - yay!! It rocks so much - this song was what got me listening to U2, along with Bad and Sunday BLoody Sunday. It's such an amazing song.

Bono's voice: 10
lyrics: 8
Edge's guitar: 10
Larry: 10
Adam: 9
Meaning: 10
Atmosphere of Performance: 10
Lastability: 10
Emotion: 10
General Apeal: 10

Total: 97%

Verdict - it's amazing

SECONDS

Not one of my favourites. It has its moments, but I think its sounds a little blah. Still, it does have passion and fire, but the guitar bass and drum annoys me. I'm afraid I dont' rank this one too highly. Please don't kill me!

Bono's voice: 7
lyrics: 8
Edge's guitar: 2
Larry: 4
Adam: 2
Meaning: 6
Mood: 4
Lastability: 5
Emotion: 7
General Apeal: 5

Total: 50%

Verdict - moving, but also annoying.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee

Well, I've been looking at Pride for a bit (No, not the ZooTv tour one, sorry) and I still love this song, especially the live version from Rattle and Hum. The music and the chorus is so powerful, still.
The lyrics don't seem as intricate or colorful as the ones found on AB and Zooropa, and I wonder about some of them. I don't think the entire song is about MLK. The "betrayed with a kiss" must be about Jesus, and I guess the song is about all people who strive against all odds to do something that is right. I wonder if the "barbed wire fence" refers to World War I soldiers or is a metaphor for the struggle that MLK and Jesus faced.
The chorus "What more is the name of love" could be like a cry to God, asking what more injustice can happen in the name that is all that right. Or it could be what more pain and suffering will occur as a result of the love that people like MLK and Jesus felt. Or even the misguided people who attacked MLK and Jesus out of their own twisted reasoning on what love is.
The Zoo TV tour version of this song (as I remember) was good, and worked very well with the video images of MLK. It seemed very honest, and was quite moving. The PoPmart version with the video footage seemed almost obligatory. It was rather disappointing, but the song itself is still a powerful song and connects the audience better than almost any other U2 song except maybe One.

So those are my thoughts on Pride. I'll listen to Seconds some more and offer my thoughts.

NShaik, what do you think the chorus of Pride refers to? Maybe if people see a bit of discussion, they'll join in.

I think that the chorus "What more in teh name of Love" is about hwo Martin Luthor King was a non-violent protestor, and was much more ceritable for it. When people bombed his house, he still didn't strike out. H was a very loving person, and he campaigned to create love between white and black people - he came, and gave all that he had in the name of love.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee

Pride:
truly one of the greatest songs ever.
After all these years. it never lost any of it's strength.

Seconds:
not their best ever, but still quite good.
Come on, Adam only 2 ?
I think he at least deserves a 8 on this one.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

...so the "what more" part means what more will he, and perhaps even we as humans, will have to endure for fighting for love and righteousness? Yeah, that seems to be the best interpretation.

I agree with that interpretation
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom