Every Breaking Wave Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can confirm hearing "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" multiple times on Top 40 radio back in the day...never heard "Vertigo" or any songs since then on the format, for what it's worht

So the nerd that I am, I track these songs for a portion of time when(if) they hit radio.

I started this with HTDAAB and I have a record of both Vertigo and Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own hitting Top 40 stations.

What else is interesting, Vertigo peaked (by my records) at ~7.5k spins per week across 6 formats; Top 40, Triple A, Mainstream Rock, Alternative, Active Rock & Hot AC (I also imagine it hit the AC chart but I don't have a record of it).

Vertigo actually maintained decent airplay levels for quite sometime, whereas GOYB peaked (again, by my records) at ~6k spins but quickly faded away.

However, the Miracle has so far peaked at ~1.1k spins, which is a very far cry from both GOYB or Vertigo (Magnificent, SYCMIOYO & Invisible all had higher peak spins than The Miracle).

I do think the very non-traditional release had an impact on the peak spins for the Miracle where it wasn't this "exclusive event" rather it was 'here is the song you already have on your phones". With that said, this song has had much greater staying power than both Invisible and GOYB, both of which were nearly nonexistent on radio after 2 months. The Miracle, while only on two formats, is actually peaking in spins two months after release. Its not a hit but its still out there.

This song sounds too much like Beautiful Day to me (in a really good way)... it is great that it's performing pretty good right now, it would be awesome if it manages to become a real hit, and it would be hilarious to watch a couple of persons that complained, whined and begged to delete the "who's u2 and what is doing in my iPod" album, listen to it on the radio, like the song and then having to actually buy the song back.
I'd LOVE to see THAT happening.

That would be awesome! Im hoping that this song breaks out too not just because I love U2 or because it deserves to but Im hoping it will bring people back to the album to revisit all the songs to realize what a great album this really is.

Updated U.S. Radio Performance for 11/2:

Alternative:

#45 on the overall chart with 189 spins :applaud:

It is #4 on the "Spincrease" chart

AC:

#18 on the overall chart with 259 spins :applaud:

It is #1 on the "Taking off" chart with the highest number of "station adds"
It is #1 on the "Spincrease" chart with the highest increase of spins

Hot AC:

#49 on the overall chart with 162 spins :applaud:

It is on both the "Taking off" & "Spincrease" charts :applaud:

It is not on any Triple A charts but I do suspect it will not only chart but it will be a smash on that format. At the moment, the Miracle is still gaining spins, so perhaps that is holding back EBW.

There is no sigh of the song on Top 40 but IF that comes, I think it would only if Hot AC embraces the song.

Hi Solar,

I use
Login to All Access | Breaking Radio News and Free New Music | AllAccess.com

I've noticed that the numbers on your site match perfectly to mine only my site has the Spincrease and Taking Off charts, which are really cool.

You need to sign up but it's free and worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Great, thank you very much.

I would love to see EBW make it to a "hit" status, but after the "Invisible" disappointment I´m more careful...
For now it is looking pretty good!

Does anyone know the audience figures on the various formats?
i.e. which are the biggest formats?

From biggest to smallest:

Top 40(top song gets about 20k spins)
Hot AC
Alternative
AC
Active Rock
AAA
Mainstream Rock (top song gets a couple hundred spins)

Country is in line with Hot AC
Urban I think is similar to Country

Does anyone care to tell is what city they're hearing these songs in??

I Am in Boston, damn near the U2 capital of America, and I've heard Cedarwood Road 3 times on our classic rock station and that was at least a month ago. Other than that, some obscure college station played the Miracle once at like 7:00 on a Sunday morning.

Other than BD and Still Haven't Found, U2 haven't been able to buy airplay in Boston since at least 2009.

Horrible, as EBW is, as we know, only one of many great songs on this album.

I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but I'm a strong believer in the "radio has it in for U2" conspiracy. This is getting to be absolutely ridiculous. Close your eyes and put your finger on an SOI track and I don't care what it is, it's miles and miles above anything Coldplay is putting out that automatically rockets to the top.

Unbelievable. You'd think U2 were some obscure underground band the way they're played these days. They have earned a lot more respect than they're getting.

Oh well, I knew the radio boycott was continuing when Invisible failed to catch on.

Hey Cosmo,

You have any info on this news/rumor that Island is sending out a video of an acoustic performance of EBW for promotion? Is it US? Is it radio? is it now or soon to be an official single??

My one guess is that EBW will be officially released as a single on the day that iTunes will have it available for sale as an individual track. November 17th or 18th I think, and that will also correspond with Fallon performances...

Hey Cosmo,

You have any info on this news/rumor that Island is sending out a video of an acoustic performance of EBW for promotion? Is it US? Is it radio? is it now or soon to be an official single??

My one guess is that EBW will be officially released as a single on the day that iTunes will have it available for sale as an individual track. November 17th or 18th I think, and that will also correspond with Fallon performances...

Just found out about it myself!

I read on a non-U2 forum that EBW was delivered to AC and Alternative as the next single but they might only be basing that on the fact that it's getting AirPlay on those formats.

AC and HAC slow moving charts

Pretty much.

I have followed the charts for a long time, and movement up/down on AC and HAC is usually very, very slow. We are looking at daily updates, while the vast majority only see weekly figures and on these two formats, songs don't usually move up very fast.

I was surprised to see EBW debut as high as it did on AC. It doesn't usually happen that way.

Mediabase updates weekly and publishes the week long chart on Tuesday

This week:

EBW debuts at 46 on HAC Top 50
EBW moves up from 22 to 18 on AC Top 50 (moved up to 17 today)
EBW moves from 45 to 36 on Alternative Top 50 (Miracle gaining spins, @ 25)
Miracle jumps from 43 to 32 on Rock Top 50 (reversed trend but small aud)

EBW should have some staying power on AC and HAC, and that could cause the song to truly cross over to mainstream radio. Not bad considering that on Billboard charts, it won't ever get the benefit of many downloads since it was given away and is so easily accessible.

I think that giving EBW some time to gain traction is the plan, and then U2 spend a week with Fallon on Nov 17-21, play it at least once, and then continue to do appearances in U.S. after that to promote both Miracle and EBW, and perhaps SFS and a few others that could be the 3rd single.

If EBW (or any other SOI single for that matter) is a relatively big radio hit (say top 10 on AC & HAC), is it likely to make it into the Hot 100? I do not know the % ratio of airplay to downloads. obviously SOI singles will struggle for any significant downloads.

Meanwhile on Alternative Songs (where "Miracle" moves 27-26), U2 extends its record for the most entries in the chart's archives, as "Every Breaking Wave" crashes in at No. 32. It's U2's 41st visit, moving the group further ahead of runner-up Pearl Jam (38).

Rock Airplay
*** No. 1 (3 weeks)***/Greatest Gainer "Something From Nothing" Foo Fighters
Debut No. 44 "Every Breaking Wave" U2
Debut No. 47 "Rebellion" Linkin Park Featuring Daron Malakian
Debut No. 49 "Cecilia And The Satellite" Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness

Chart Highlights: U2 Makes History Atop Adult Alternative Songs, Taylor Swift Tops AC | Billboard

I notice a lot of people saying, "IT SHOULDA BEEN THE LEAD SINGLE!!?!?!?" But, correct me if I'm wrong here, of course, aren't second singles usually, by and large, the bigger chart successes? Or does that just work for pop stars?

I notice a lot of people saying, "IT SHOULDA BEEN THE LEAD SINGLE!!?!?!?" But, correct me if I'm wrong here, of course, aren't second singles usually, by and large, the bigger chart successes? Or does that just work for pop stars?
It works for pop stars, and it worked for bands like Coldplay. With U2, some of their big hits were the first singles released from an album (Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc.). I think there's still time for EBW to take off, because it can be successful.

With or without you was huge. There are some comparisons with EBW. Could have been the same impact on the charts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

It works for pop stars, and it worked for bands like Coldplay. With U2, some of their big hits were the first singles released from an album (Beautiful Day, Vertigo, etc.). I think there's still time for EBW to take off, because it can be successful.

Id say that 9 times out of 10 the first single is usually by far the biggest hit for all artists, probably more so for U2 recently where the lead single has been used to promote the album.

Not sure why anyone would chose to hold what they perceive as the best/most commercial song on their album back to be a second, third single etc. However this does seem to have happened more in recent years and cases of the second single being bigger which spring to my mind are Coldplay Viva La Vida, Green Day - Boulevard of broken dreams and Adele - someone like you.

Id say that 9 times out of 10 the first single is usually by far the biggest hit for all artists, probably more so for U2 recently where the lead single has been used to promote the album.

Not sure why anyone would chose to hold what they perceive as the best/most commercial song on their album back to be a second, third single etc. However this does seem to have happened more in recent years and cases of the second single being bigger which spring to my mind are Coldplay Viva La Vida, Green Day - Boulevard of broken dreams and Adele - someone like you.

Just imho:

1. Sometimes they might honestly believe that the first single had a better chance, it's just that sometimes you can't predict what would people really like (there's been artists whose career's best known song was barely included in the album).

2. Sometimes their best song may not be the right song to promote the album... Miracle worked "in the background" just to let people know about the new album, now with those news out of the way, people can focus on a track like EBW. (Nobody would've cared about EBW if it had been the one played at the Apple event right before them doing their shenanigan).

3. Way too much confidence on the strength of their potential singles... sometimes they might really believe that their best chance for a 1-2 punch is saving their strongest track for later

In the US, it seems to have stalled a bit but I think Fallon will help kick start the songs performance:

Alternative: # 29 with 404 spins (one of the biggest increases on the chart)
Hot AC: #47 with 180 spins and it is still on the "Spincrease" chart
AC: #20 with 201 spins and falling

Overall: 785 spins and 6.32 million impressions (potential listeners)

In the US, it seems to have stalled a bit but I think Fallon will help kick start the songs performance:

Alternative: # 29 with 404 spins (one of the biggest increases on the chart)
Hot AC: #47 with 180 spins and it is still on the "Spincrease" chart
AC: #20 with 201 spins and falling

Overall: 785 spins and 6.32 million impressions (potential listeners)

I think we are starting to see the real downside of the apple deal. They need to release this officially as a god damn single!!!
But they can't. Or at least won't until Monday or Tuesday since you can't freaking buy it on iTunes until then.
It should have been released officially a couple weeks ago

It can't move up the charts without support of sales. And if it doesn't move up, it's viewed as a failure by radio and spins decrease.

The apple deal should have been free for a week, and then at retail for a week, and then iTunes started selling it on week three.

I mean, you can't even PREVIEW Crystal Ballroom on iTunes. How stupid is that?!?!

I'm hoping for an official release followed by Fallon and a bunch of other promo spots. This song deserves to be a hit. But they aren't doing it any favors.

Back
Top Bottom