Elbow - Leaders of the Free World...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only other date listed is Atlanta 8/8. Which begs the question, why aren't they opening for U2 in September? :angry:

They'll be around and opening for Coldplay, I wish they would do some shows on their own while they're here... on the East Coast.

These guys are barely known in Australia but after hearing a couple of their songs on YouTube I took a punt and saw them the other day at the V Festival and was really blown away. It was the highlight of the day for me (even better than the energetic Kaisers), not just for their music but also the happy vibe that they wove into the audience right from the start. The lead singer was a pretty charismatic and funny guy. :)

Now to find out what songs they actually played.. and to check out that cover of Running to Stand Still! :ohmy:

These guys are barely known in Australia but after hearing a couple of their songs on YouTube I took a punt and saw them the other day at the V Festival and was really blown away. It was the highlight of the day for me (even better than the energetic Kaisers), not just for their music but also the happy vibe that they wove into the audience right from the start. The lead singer was a pretty charismatic and funny guy. :)

Now to find out what songs they actually played.. and to check out that cover of Running to Stand Still! :ohmy:

Yeah I saw them at V Fest too.....Grounds For Divorce live :drool:

Guy Garvey was on Spicks and Specks the other night, seems like a top bloke. Wicked Mancunian accent. Fun to listen to.

Made a pathetically awesome joke about how he went to the doctor and he told him that he needed to stop masturbating....something along those lines, was quite ridiculous but the delivery was brilliant.

Was there a separate thread for the magical Seldom Seen Kid album?

Seldom Seen Kid songs elfa no like:

Starlings - the song isn't too bad but the blaring horns still kind of bug me, especially on my headphones first thing in the morning :tsk:

An Audience With The Pope - Not a bad song but not all that remarkable imo

The Fix - I'm not crazy about the other guy singing with him

I agree there is something awkward about the blaring horns and they do make you kinda reach for the volume dial when you listen to them with earphones, but through speakers it's quite tolerable and pleasant. I just love Garvey's vocal in this and damn he is a fine lyricist.

With An Audience With The Pope, i agree about the unremarkability (at least in comparison with the other songs on the album), but gawd that little piano sound that filters in and out throughout the song is gorgeous. Top stuff.

Fix is brilliant. What a bouncy tune, and what a lyrical theme, it's out of this world, from another time, but oh so contemporary. Something very cool and very postmodern about it.....like a murder mystery kind of tune.

What a cracking album. It's brilliant. Shamelessly perfect.

Well, I love Elbow, but One Day Like This is so damn good that I wouldn't care if they haven't released another song at all in their career. That's how much I love this damn song. :drool:

These guys are barely known in Australia but after hearing a couple of their songs on YouTube I took a punt and saw them the other day at the V Festival and was really blown away.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed Elbow! :up: They were my highlight of the festival as well. It's a shame that the festival review I read the next day in one of the major papers didn't even mention them.

Yeah I saw them at V Fest too.....Grounds For Divorce live :drool:

Guy Garvey was on Spicks and Specks the other night, seems like a top bloke. Wicked Mancunian accent. Fun to listen to.

Made a pathetically awesome joke about how he went to the doctor and he told him that he needed to stop masturbating....something along those lines, was quite ridiculous but the delivery was brilliant.

Was there a separate thread for the magical Seldom Seen Kid album?

Ah crap that was probably the night that I saw Adam Hills' stand-up. "Who's missing Spicks & Specks tonight? Don't worry it's a shit episode anyway!" Yeah, right! :angry: ;)

Hehe pathetically awesome is exactly right. I remember him (Guy?) cracking those silly little jokes at the festival. The doctor one, and I think one about the cow insisting that the farmer kiss her while he gropes her 'tits'. :giggle:

For all the magic atmosphere of a gig like that though I was a little surprised to see some folks (even those not that far from the stage) idly chatting away in their huddle for much of the set, as if it was more of a picnic than a concert. Maybe it's just a festival thing..?

Glad to hear you've enjoyed Elbow! :up: They were my highlight of the festival as well. It's a shame that the festival review I read the next day in one of the major papers didn't even mention them.

Another one at the V Fest gig! :up: Yep it was an awesome show..

With the schedule as it was, chances are that they (the reviewers) were off catching another act playing at the same time. Elbow definitely deserved at least some mention. I did stumble across a couple of glowing reviews though while trying to find out what the setlist was.. because I still have no idea aside from guessing that they were doing the usual mix of the latest stuff with a few oldies. :) A couple of those songs in particular were sublime especially for a first time listen.. There was one that kind of built up to a big climax (lots of percussion) after a quiet start. Any ideas? Sorry that's really vague. I'm hopeless at remembering song lyrics and details. :huh:

For all the magic atmosphere of a gig like that though I was a little surprised to see some folks (even those not that far from the stage) idly chatting away in their huddle for much of the set, as if it was more of a picnic than a concert. Maybe it's just a festival thing..?

I've been to Big Day Out three times and people at the V Festival did seem extra chatty, :shrug:

I don't remember the exact setlist but I think most of it was pulled from their last two albums (Seldom Seen Kid and Leaders of the Free World). The only really old song I remember is Newborn from their first album, which also might be the "climax" song you've mentioned, :)

The doctor one, and I think one about the cow insisting that the farmer kiss her while he gropes her 'tits'. :giggle:

Ah yes that one about the cow, that was cool as well. "Holy Cow"? Love his accent.

I was at the back for Elbow's set, only just arrived before they started. The folk I were with didn't really know Elbow so I just watched from a distance, the wave during One Day Like This looked really good, despite such small numbers of support for Elbow. In fact, there was an older guy in his 50s sitting in front of us with an Elbow t-shirt, he and his missus singing along.

Hung around "That Stage" for Madness but went up closer, felt like the youngest person there, and then I went to see Kaisers and Killers and that went crazy....wonderful line up. Madness did have that picnic feel to it too....

Madness did have that picnic feel to it too....

Hehe I was eating up in the stands when they came up but I enjoyed watching everyone go mental during their set. I think there were Brits everywhere, not surprisingly..

Elbow Aims For 2010 Album Return

Elbow Aims For 2010 Album Return

June 01, 2009 01:19 PM ET

Andre Paine, London

As it approaches the end of an extensive campaign for "The Seldom Seen Kid" (Fiction/Polydor), U.K. rock act Elbow is looking ahead to its follow-up to the award-winning album.

After three well-received records, the Manchester, England-based band made a critical and commercial breakthrough with "The Seldom Seen Kid," released in March 2008 in the U.K.

The set has reached double-platinum status in the U.K. (600,000 shipments) and secured Elbow the Mercury Prize for British/Irish album of the year last September, while the band also won the BRIT for best British group in February this year and picked up two Ivor Novello Awards last month.

However, the band is in no rush to issue its next record. "It's tempting to try and capitalize on this one's success but I think it's more important that we make sure it's a good record," singer Guy Garvey tells Billboard.com, suggesting that the release will be "about 18 months from now."

"We've got a bunch of stuff that we've been writing on tour, that we're very slowly knocking into shape," adds Garvey. "We're trying to do just five or six days of writing every few weeks, and then we're going to collate it, and do the same thing again for a year and half. So it's well on its way."

The "Kid" campaign looks set to conclude with a homecoming show at Manchester MEN Arena on September 17. Before that, there are stadium support slots with U2 in the U.K. at Wembley Stadium (Aug. 14) and Sheffield Don Valley Stadium (Aug. 20). And Elbow will support Coldplay on North American dates in July and August and play a few headline shows alongside appearances at All Points West Festival in Jersey City (Aug. 2) and Montreal's Osheaga Festival (Aug. 1).

"The Seldom Seen Kid" was Elbow's first album with Geffen in the U.S. - previous albums were via V2 - and it peaked at No. 109 on the Billboard 200 in May 2008.

Garvey says the American market is increasingly important, without being the primary focus for the act.

"We're definitely interested, we're going to go and have a look in America," he says. "We've been out there for every album and we do okay in the major cities.

"Conquering the world is a game of the young man, really. I think we'll go where people want us. If something happens in the States, we love being over there so it would be a great excuse to see the States for a while, but equally it's going really well in mainland Europe, so we'll go wherever we're wanted really."

The band has recently signed a licensing deal with the Hours label in France, which has picked up "The Seldom Seen Kid" and will release future albums.

"We've always done really well in Belgium and we've just got a new label in France, which we're dead chuffed about," confirms Garvey. "We played their [the Hours'] festival and it's brilliant, they're top people."

The label featured the band as headline act for its inaugural festival in April, at the 1,500-capacity Bataclan venue in Paris. The Hours, founded in January 2008, is controlled by French marketing conglomerate Euro RSCG/Havas, which owns 51%. The label is distributed worldwide by Universal.

Despite its breakthrough success last year, Elbow actually formed in 1990 - although it did not release an album until 2001 - when the band members were teenagers, so Garvey insists they will not get distracted by success.

"We make enough money to live really comfortably and we're just going to concentrate on making the best music we can and having fun doing it," says Garvey. "We had a rule from day one that if it stops being fun we'd go and get another job."

Good news, but sounds to be a ways off. It sounds like he's saying they're going to do a little writing/decision making for a year and half after this touring is done... 2011??

Wednesday, July 29:
CBS: Late Show With David Letterman: Elbow

banana.gif

Back
Top Bottom