Edge's Vertigo guitar playing is Overrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Edge said:
Friend Jick,

I have been watching this conversation. You are seeking attention via the lit dynamite stick. I see it well. Terrorists use the same tactics to try to create chaos and mayhem. These fine people engage in peaceful and light hearted conversation. You make some show their teeth.
You can dislike U2's new single or say my playing is rubbish, do you think I really give a fig? I know what work went into the LP and Vertigo in particular. Layers of sounds, three hundred takes, If I borrow any "licks" they would be from the Clash or, at best the Ramones. U2 sprang from punk rock. We are still punk rock. We can play anything we want to play or..not play at all if we dont want to. My problem is this: Dont light the fuse of a bomb and then hand that bomb to my good friends and then walk off...stay around and see the results. Better yet...dont light that fuse, put the bomb in your pocket and walk off. I want you to be happy. If you cant, dont spread that disease called "hate" We've far too much that in this world today!

wow
very well put

:applaud:

U2_Guy said:
You can respond.

But don't call a person who has this view about a song "a terrorist"... Or tell him to "fuck off" like an user did...

I agree that "fuck off" isn't necessary.

But, when 99 out of 100 posts by jick are anti-U2, his reputation dictates the responses he is going to get. If he has freedom of speech on his side, we have the same freedom of speech to respond.

And after years of downright insulting posts directed at U2, I don't blame the Edge for a second for letting loose on jick. If you dish it, be ready to take it.

You know what, I am only interested in u2 and their music. Not if other people like it or not. The day the record comes out I am going to run to the store, buy my copy and I am going to be totally happy and enjoy the music. Because that what I am in to: their music makes me feel good. I don't compare them to other bands or analyze every part of a song or lyric till it's nothing more than some kind of formula which could have been better or whatever. I just listen to the music and feel great. U2 makes me feel good.

This crap needs to stop before Edge gets fed up and stops coming to this board.

I don't know how many other living legends actually communicate with their fans on a message board, but for me this is something special to have Edge here. And I'd like him to stay.

This is a board for FANS, and of course there is freedom of speech, but you have to demonstrate your LOVE for the band first, then you can make criticisms, otherwise, you're just a trouble-maker.

I've never seen this pain-in-the-ass demonstrate he was a fan in any way, shape, or form. He belongs here about as much as I do on a Britney Spears forum....which is why I don't belong to a Britney Spears forum.

The Edge said:
Friend Jick,

I have been watching this conversation. You are seeking attention via the lit dynamite stick. I see it well. Terrorists use the same tactics to try to create chaos and mayhem. These fine people engage in peaceful and light hearted conversation. You make some show their teeth.
You can dislike U2's new single or say my playing is rubbish, do you think I really give a fig? I know what work went into the LP and Vertigo in particular. Layers of sounds, three hundred takes, If I borrow any "licks" they would be from the Clash or, at best the Ramones. U2 sprang from punk rock. We are still punk rock. We can play anything we want to play or..not play at all if we dont want to. My problem is this: Dont light the fuse of a bomb and then hand that bomb to my good friends and then walk off...stay around and see the results. Better yet...dont light that fuse, put the bomb in your pocket and walk off. I want you to be happy. If you cant, dont spread that disease called "hate" We've far too much that in this world today!

Awesome! :D

"Don't let the bastards grind you down!" :wink:

I don't even post at this kinds of threads anymore cause it's just stupid. I rather talk about the songs I love! :up:

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
I read Jicks compliments about many many U2 songs on this thread...

Backtracking to make him seem less trollish than he actually is and to keep the thread from being closed. Pretty consistent for jick. He has nothing good to say about the band until he's said plenty of bad stuff first.

what does overrated mean anyway? is there some kind of mathematical equation where we can have vertigo as a variable and come up with a numeric "rating?" "yeah, i think vertigo's rating is about a 6.25 ... looks a little high to me." it makes no sense. i think the whole premise of the thread was bogus to begin with. we are not rating the edge's guitar playing. this is a forum of people that like to discuss how much we like it ... but there is no rating going on. we are no authority on quality, we're just a bunch of fans who happen to enjoy the same band. i also want to say that i think mayonnaise is overrated...i dunno...like if you compare it to other condiments like ketchup and mustard...it doesn't even comapre. i mean, it barely has color. everyone who likes mayonnaise must not know their condiments very well...

Well, i'm juddging this guy from what i see. I dunno him like u ppl do. I'll take ur work for it guys.

But i guess Edge too dunno about Jicks past so why that reply... Edge didn't need to do that IMO.

Haha, I knew it!
I knew when I heard Vertigo that some sort of element reminded me of the Ramones. Being influenced is not copying.

I guess if Edge wanted to imply the Ramones through his guitar, well congratulations because all I thought was pure punk Ramones with a little bit of hip hop and a whole lotta Edge.
I have never read any of Dick's post but by the look of it, no one likes Dick round here anyway. Oops, Jick, pardon me.

*xtal*

U2_Guy said:
But i guess Edge too dunno about Jicks past so why that reply... Edge didn't need to do that IMO.

I think Edge has been hanging around long enough to see how jick operates. Six, seven months is all it would take.

edge did not glorify jick by posting. he didn't have to defend himself. he was defending interference. i think everyone is missing the point of what edge said. edge was defending US!!!! i think that's remarkable... you don't think edge has ever heard negative criticism? edge just had our back ... and that's just f'ing cool. he was playing the older brother.

Anirban said:
edge did not glorify jick by posting. he didn't have to defend himself. he was defending interference. i think everyone is missing the point of what edge said. edge was defending US!!!! i think that's remarkable... you don't think edge has ever heard negative criticism? edge just had our back ... and that's just f'ing cool. he was playing the older brother.

I feel bad because he shouldn't be put in that position.:(

The reality of the situation is this:

Edge's guitar on Vertigo is simply awesome! We get to hear some new power chord rock from U2. This is very refreshing because the style is totally different than your typical powerchord band, a la Greenday. But what I love about Vertigo, is that in the bridge, we get to hear the "classical" Edge guitar style. The style that we've all grown to love.

Vertigo explores a different guitar style while fusing in the foundations the Edge's stylistical sounds.

the cool thing is that he wasn't PUT in that position. it was something he wanted to do i guess. i mean, the edge doesn't even have to come here at all. he could be out doing whatever he wants. but the fact that he chose to spend some time on this forum maybe implies that he likes to :)

Anirban said:
the cool thing is that he wasn't PUT in that position. it was something he wanted to do i guess. i mean, the edge doesn't even have to come here at all. he could be out doing whatever he wants. but the fact that he chose to spend some time on this forum maybe implies that he likes to :)

We all hope... :shifty:

Last edited:
Anirban said:

Yeah, that's great, but I would prefer he spend his time here having fun not involved in negativity.

I'd prefer is he confirmed or not the album cover...

Why does he come here and doesn't show on some interesting threads begun by real fans with good questions?

My thoughts on this, for those who care:

Groundbreaking? Maybe not. I don't think it matters. What matters is this:

Edge has done plenty of groundbreaking guitar work on many a U2 song, and I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of it on "Dismantle". Vertigo, to me, is Edge taking a bit of a break from being "classic Edge" and paying homage to some of his influences, while showing the rest of the pretenders on the scene today how to properly blow the roof off the joint.

It's pure, fun, in-your-face, rock-and-freakin'-roll. And I think it's one of the best songs they've ever recorded.

But what do I know? I'm just a newbie.:shrug:

A band as big as U2 hears negative things said about them all the time, its a fact, not everyone in the world will like them. It's like this for every band, or famous people. They must be used to it by now. So I wouldnt feel too bad ramblin rose :hug: Edge seems to know how to handle it. :wink:

The main thing is, this is a U2 forum, for U2 fans. There is so much love here, I have felt it for years! U2 fans have to be some of the coolest, most caring people I have ever met. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and different views can be shared, but it is how they present their opinion (over and over and over.. in some people's cases.. ) that wears on the rest of the members. The people that are constantly criticizing U2 should really find another place to post.

U2-Guy,
You are starting to sound really critical of The Edge. Be happy he is here at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom