Download new Coldplay tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:

no, but there's also nothing revolutionary; it's basically coldplay.
nothing wrong with that if you like their sound. I like some of these songs on first listening, but I don't know if that means I'll be listening to them 6 months from now.

From what I can figure out from hearing 3 records from coldplay so far, this is their formula:

-record songs that are pretty obvious as far as chord progressions, melodies, and lyrics go.

-still be on the "alternative" side by doing one or two things per album that are more experimental-ish.

whatever....they're average. Better than goo goo dolls and all that, but certainly not the best band in the world. They just make music that's pleasent to listen to. Chris Martin can think otherwise all he wants.

:blahblah: If you've already come up with this conclusion, then you made up your mind well before you even heard the new album(that is if you've listened to the whole thing)

"record songs that are pretty obvious as far as chord progressions, melodies, and lyrics go." :eyebrow: That makes me think you haven't really even listened to the new stuff to hard yet. There are quite a few very strange melodies and chord/musical progressions on X & Y, and there are a few songs with a pretty standard progression as would be expected.

I hear a lot of progressions of Coldplays music here. Yes, they are Coldplay and will tend to sound like themselves, but this definitely isn't AROBTTH Pt. 2 by any means. Did U2 really "progress" that much in their first 3 albums? No.

Last edited:
this album is unbelievable, and trust me, i was very skeptical when i started listening to it.

ImOuttaControl said:

:blahblah: If you've already come up with this conclusion, then you made up your mind well before you even heard the new album(that is if you've listened to the whole thing)

I listened to 8 songs; I assume there's 3 or so more I haven't heard yet.

ImOuttaControl said:

"record songs that are pretty obvious as far as chord progressions, melodies, and lyrics go." :eyebrow: That makes me think you haven't really even listened to the new stuff to hard yet. There are quite a few very strange melodies and chord/musical progressions on X & Y, and there are a few songs with a pretty standard progression as would be expected.
There are a few unexpected moments, but by and large it's not anything drastic. It's certainly not "Rattle and Hum" into "Achtung Baby". Not that they ever said it would be; just making notice of this.

ImOuttaControl said:
I hear a lot of progressions of Coldplays music here. Yes, they are Coldplay and will tend to sound like themselves, but this definitely isn't AROBTTH Pt. 2 by any means. Did U2 really "progress" that much in their first 3 albums? No.
I didn't say anything about u2's 1st 3 albums. If you hear a big difference on this one, than that's great; you're going to enjoy it alot and I'm happy for you; maybe over time I'll say "this is one of the greatest albums ever". It's just that right now, I'm not being blown away, and I was hoping for alot, especially after all the hype this album is getting and martin's comments.
Look, I never said it sucked; I think it's pretty good/ not revolutionary.

ChangeTheTemperature said:
How does the quality of the 64K wma files compare to CD or 192 Kbps MP3's

I want the first time I hear the new songs to be on CD-like quality

The 64K WMA files actually sound excellent. I'm moving tomorrow and as I've been packing I basically have the album on repeat.

If you want the first time to be perfect, then wait till next week. I really can't notice any real flaws with these files, although I have nothing to compare them to.

I think it is a great Coldplay album, but nothing really jumps out at me, after only 1 listen, though. I do really like square one, talk, the end of fix you. I will give it more time. :wink:

JOFO said:

I listened to 8 songs; I assume there's 3 or so more I haven't heard yet.

There are a few unexpected moments, but by and large it's not anything drastic. It's certainly not "Rattle and Hum" into "Achtung Baby". Not that they ever said it would be; just making notice of this.

I didn't say anything about u2's 1st 3 albums. If you hear a big difference on this one, than that's great; you're going to enjoy it alot and I'm happy for you; maybe over time I'll say "this is one of the greatest albums ever". It's just that right now, I'm not being blown away, and I was hoping for alot, especially after all the hype this album is getting and martin's comments.
Look, I never said it sucked; I think it's pretty good/ not revolutionary.

Fair enough. It's kinda strange that on the Coldplay boards I have been criticizing a few things, but here I always feel the need to defend them a bit. Coldplay boards there are a lot of people who worship the band and can't handle any criticsm; then on here there are lots of U2 fans who seem sort of defensive about Coldplay getting big. Not saying thats you, just why I defend them a bit more over here--there's a lot of people on this board who want to see Coldplay fail.

kakvox said:
I think it is a great Coldplay album, but nothing really jumps out at me, after only 1 listen, though. I do really like square one, talk, the end of fix you. I will give it more time. :wink:

yeah, I'm gonna give it some time too. I hope I will enjoy it.

ImOuttaControl said:

Fair enough. It's kinda strange that on the Coldplay boards I have been criticizing a few things, but here I always feel the need to defend them a bit. Coldplay boards there are a lot of people who worship the band, and here there are lots of U2 fans who seem sort of defensive about Coldplay getting big. Not saying thats you, just why I defend them a bit more over here--there's a lot of people on this board who want to see Coldplay fail.

I'd like them to become one of the best bands in the world; but for the right reasons.

kakvox said:

I agree with you. I've read in interviews that this is the least immediate Coldplay album so far so I was prepared for it.

Personally, I'm finding Square One pretty awesome, while I think Talk and X & Y are incredible. The whole album seems to flow really well and I'm liking that.

JOFO said:

I'd like them to become one of the best bands in the world; but for the right reasons.

Yep. I've always been saying that I'll give Coldplay a pass on the 'reinvention' thing till after their 3rd album was out.

If they release albums 4 and 5 and they don't push their limits, then I'll be disappointed.

ImOuttaControl said:

Yep. I've always been saying that I'll give Coldplay a pass on the 'reinvention' thing till after their 3rd album was out.

If they release albums 4 and 5 and they don't push their limits, then I'll be disappointed.

agreed. that's actually the same reason why i stopped listening to Dave Matthews Band. i hope Coldplay do things differently.

Listening to the album. It has its moments, but I still think Coldplay are going downhill for a couple of years already. Parachutes was a wonderful album and this effort is inferior in every aspect for me.
WHY does every second song has to end with Martin solo w/piano or acoustic guitar, singing the title of the song as the last verse(Square One, Fix You, A Message...)?
The structure is always the same, there is not much innovation. Melodic and simple, but only that for me.

Well, listening to it right now (thanks alot IOC :up:) and just finished with "A Message" I decided to post now instead of when I've finished the whole album because this song in particular struck me as very good, plus I'm getting real tired of this pre-calculus homework, haha. Anyway, so far I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. The songs are much better and kind of more rocking than I was expecting. It's good. "Low" is playing right now. I like it alot. I'll give it a few more listens before I can put in my final word, but so far I like it better than AROBTTH, but not as much as Parachutes though. We'll see.

Thanks again for the files!

djerdap said:
Listening to the album. It has its moments, but I still think Coldplay are going downhill for a couple of years already. Parachutes was a wonderful album and this effort is inferior in every aspect for me.
WHY does every second song has to end with Martin solo w/piano or acoustic guitar, singing the title of the song as the last verse(Square One, Fix You, A Message...)?
The structure is always the same, there is not much innovation. Melodic and simple, but only that for me.

true, but someone could say the same thing about U2's overuse of the A to D chord progression. just a thought.

mikal said:

agreed. that's actually the same reason why i stopped listening to Dave Matthews Band. i hope Coldplay do things differently.

I think most people will agree that what coldplay lacks is being able to really rock out---get people jumping around at a concert. A lot of people say the music is also depressing, but when I listen to X&Y I feel a lot more uplift than either of their previous albums so far.

I wonder if coldplay was able to make a real rock album if that would be enough of a reinvention for the skeptics? I personally don't think a band has to be revolutionary to be great--it should push it's own limits.

Lancemc said:
Well, listening to it right now (thanks alot IOC :up:) and just finished with "A Message" I decided to post now instead of when I've finished the whole album because this song in particular struck me as very good, plus I'm getting real tired of this pre-calculus homework, haha. Anyway, so far I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. The songs are much better and kind of more rocking than I was expecting. It's good. "Low" is playing right now. I like it alot. I'll give it a few more listens before I can put in my final word, but so far I like it better than AROBTTH, but not as much as Parachutes though. We'll see.

Thanks again for the files!

No problem!

But honestly I stole the links from another site, hope they don't mind. ;) :shifty:

Last edited:
mikal said:

true, but someone could say the same thing about U2's overuse of the A to D chord progression. just a thought.

True, but I don't believe I have to mention that U2 has so many aspects of their own that a repetitive chord progression is in no way a weakness. If someone is familiar with Edge minimalistic approach, it can be seen as an advantage.
The most important thing is - unlike Coldplay, U2 has its own sound. And they don't rely always on the same song structure.
Check out The Ramones for another example. Power chords all the time. But still, every song is special in its own way. That is a powerful band.
Coldplay are OK, but nothing more. It's a shame, since they showed huge potential on Parachutes.
Just my two cents on this one.

Alright, just finished the whole thing. I LOVED "Til Kingdom Come". Probably my favorite on the album. It's miles ahead of Rush of Blood to the Head I feel. There is definitely more variety in this album, from one song to the next than either of its predecessors. And, I guess, it just has a sound that I really like. It's not necessarily BETTER than either two albums, but I like it's sound. But, I just started it over again. "Square One" is a kick ass opener. Love it. Right now, other favorites include, "Til Kingdom Come", "Speed of Sound", "A Message", "Swallowed in the Sea" and "Talk".

great album. so far its my second favorite Coldplay cd, after the amazing Parachutes. Swallowed in the Sea is such a great song.

Back
Top Bottom