Double Album Speculation :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
My imagination running wild on the next U2 album, following the quote where Bono said they had a lot of material/more than one album worth of music.

The Album Title: A Summer in the Garden of Good and Evil
Release Date: November 11th, 2008
Recorded and mixed: April, 2008-August, 2008
Produced by Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, and The Edge

Disc One:

1. Remember When It Was Good (7:14)
[epic beginning to an album, begins with a string symphony playing something beautiful and simple--Edge plays a guitar solo with sparkling clean tone before the band kicks in at the 3 minute marker--there is no chorus, just an ever building swell of music and lyrical intensity/delivery]

2. Listen Closely [3:01]
[the most sensational drumming by Larry in his career--blistering rock song that turns into a huge single upon its release three months (solely digitally) before the album is released--Edge plays classic U2-style riffs with echo, Adam plays with an overdriven bass tone, and Bono sings about Ireland]

3. Sailing [2:16]
[a fingerpicked acoustic guitar song with no other instruments, sung by the Edge--a haunting, lovely melody about a nice summer afternoon on a boat with his family and forgetting about everything bad in the world]

4. Couldn't Have Done Any Better If We Would've Known [4:35]
[classic U2 song in the hymn style--lyrically delivered like I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For in the sense that the chorus is really just the title of the song, sung at the end of each verse. The song, however, is based around piano, bass and drums--no guitars used]

5. Chimney Sweeper [3:37]
[co-written by, and featuring Paul McCartney on guitar and shared lead vocals (also he and Edge own the middle 8), a story about a man who works hard to bring home the money for his family but can't make ends meet--has a classic rock feel to it and features Edge playing a solo that sounds like something one would hear during the Lovetown tour]

6. Northern Star [4:19]
[co-written by, and featuring Michael W Smith on piano and background vocals--a song about Johnny Cash, released as the second single; some of the most emotional Bono performance on the album--a ballad; Edge playing slide guitar]

7. Lukewarm [1:58]
[shortest song on the first disc, a very ambient feel to it--all keyboards and bass, Bono singing the scary older brother to Beautiful Ghost]

8. Panic Attack [5:52]
[sung by Edge, with Bono on piano--begins with a simple droning piano line with Edge singing about a character not being able to feel anything at all, and them suddenly the music comes full force at about the 2 minute marker with a suddenness as Edge sings about the fact that the character can feel things now, but all he can feel is panic--near the end making one of the most intense vocal portions of a U2 song ever (similar in vocal styling to Idioteque by Radiohead, only with Edge singing much more pronounced and clear than Yorke, but with the same urgency)]

9. Abbey Road [3:41]
[A poppy, upbeat song where Bono pokes fun at how serious he can get, the fact that he sometimes forgets his own lyrics, how he sometimes blunders with lyrics, his usage of the words "knees/kneel" and "soul", etc. Basically a song sort of like Glass Onion by The Beatles. Features some of the loosest playing U2 has ever had on an album with jangly acoustic guitars, slightly out of tune piano (played by Larry), and upright bass. Features Ringo Starr on drums]

10. She's A Mystery To Me [4:54]
[song finally sees the light of day! Played exactly as it was on the Lovetown Tour, minus the female background singers. However, handclaps and a tambourine are added]

11. Take Off [3:07]
[instrumental song, featuring Eric Clapton and Edge having a dueling guitar solo overtop Larry and Adam playing their best impression of the lounge song "Feelin' Good" which was covered by Muse]

12. Landing [4:21]
[earthy song with a very rootsy feel; Bono and Edge both play acoustic guitar, Eno plays piano, Adam plays upright bass, Lanois plays varios percussion, somewhat similar to a what Pearl Jam might sound like live and acoustic]

Total time: 48:57

Disc Two

1. Connected [2:42]
[the third single--U2 is dabbling in the past on this one: features Larry playing a new-wave/disco beat (a-la most of the currect new wave brit stuff like Editors, Arctic Monkeys etc), Adam playing one of his most solid-yet-outrageous bass lines, and Edge doing his best impression of himself from the October era (tone and all!)]

2. Wedding Song [3:53]
[the song everyone on interference think should be a single but isn't--it's in a waltz time and is the prettiest love song U2 has ever written--features a string orchestra, a harp, and a choir--no piano, guitar, bass or drums (later re-recorded as a b-side with the full band version). The first song Bono has ever written that he approves of to be a good "first wedding dance" song]

3. Suicide Bomber [5:59]
[co-written by, and featuring Eddie Vedder on shared lead vocals and tambourine. Edge does his best impression of Jimmy Page, and plays his longest, and most technical, solo of his career]

4. American American [3:09]
[very ambient song with very little vocals, Edge plays slide guitar on the whole song with a lot of echo and sustain]

5. A Summer in the Garden of Good [4:19]
[strong vocals by Bono, a song about laying on the beach in the south of France drinking and having a merry old time]

6. A Summer in the Garden of Evil [8:02]
[begins with a droning guitar line--a song about Bono going to Africa and watching countless deaths of AIDS--builds and builds and builds; first song in which Bono uses the word "fuck" in the chorus, a song where he calls out corporations and individuals by name for not doing more to help--builds even more and features Bono growling like a rabid madness has taken him over before fading at the 7 minute mark and Bono crying in a whispering voice (which is because he's lost his voice due to rabid yelling at the song's climax) to "help the children" over a lonely piano--quickly becomes a favourite album track by devoted fans]

7. Sing With Me [4:09]
[the fourth single off the album, sung by Edge--sounds like a golden oldie with it's bombastic chorus with flurries of tasteful horns (think Can't Get Along Without You off Hard-Fi's latest album), co-written by Neil Diamond (Music by U2, lyrics by Neil Diamond and The Edge).

8. Will You Be There When We Get There? [2:01]
[a piano ballard played and sung solely by Bono]

9. She's A Devil and She Loves It [2:57]
[co-written by, and featuring Jack White on guitar and background vocals, and Meg White on background vocals and hand-claps, an upbeat bluesy sort of a rock song. Eno claims to have had nothing to do with this song, and that "Lanois can claim all production on that one...." due to the fact that Jack White punched him (Eno) in the eye for trying to turn his guitar amp down.

10. Binary Code (Mercy) [6:28]
[polished, pretty, sparkling, unashamed U2]

11. Berlin [3:39]
[dark song about the depression the band felt while recording in Berlin for the Achtung Baby album--sparse vocals, in the style of Exit]

12. The Glass Inferno [7:01]
[epic song about a building on fire, the people trying to escape, etc. Features a soundbyte from Steve McQueen from the movie The Towering Inferno "It's a fire, mister, and all fires are bad." Has a very good ending feel to it--loads of guitars, loads of keyboard and piano, a string quartet, guest background vocal choir of Thom Yorke, Bjork, Paul McCartney, Brandon Flowers, Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin, Jeremy Enigk, Billy Joe Armstrong, Sinead O'Connor, and all of the U2 children. Released as a benefit single for some or other charity]

total time: 54:19

Oh my. That took forever. Wow. 2 hours to come up with all that? Hahaha. It was fun though! Hope you all enjoy my hopes and dreams. :wink:

Last edited:
Any way you can rig it so that Jack White punches Michael W. Smith in the eye?

'Cause I'd buy that.

the tourist said:

2. Listen Closely [3:01]
[the most sensational drumming by Larry in his career--blistering rock song that turns into a huge single upon its release three months (solely digitally) before the album is released--Edge plays classic U2-style riffs with echo, Adam plays with an overdriven bass tone, and Bono sings about Ireland]

oh yes, you even have it down to the very last second!!! 3:01 !!! :yes: hmm...this was fun and interesting to read...I don't know if it will turn out like this, but I'm pretty sure this album is going to be INSANE :yippie: :hyper:

I hope your album includes B-sides to the singles such as:

1. Lead me in the Way I should go
2. Treason
3. I believe
4. All my life
5. Always (from the ATYCLB sessions)
6. Sky Hawk (from the HTDAAB sessions?)

Very cool post.

Although I approve of (and have championed it in other posts) the double album... all of the guest spots make me wince. Macca? Please, no.

And I think we'll get this baby this coming spring! :wink:

Irvine511 said:
get a job.

Wow. Harsh. I rarely see people tell the serious posters--you know, the ones with 10,000+(like you?)--to get a job. Yet because I'm bored one night while I'm working out and think of this people think I'm in need of more work than I already do?

pacemaker said:
Very cool post.

Although I approve of (and have championed it in other posts) the double album... all of the guest spots make me wince. Macca? Please, no.

And I think we'll get this baby this coming spring! :wink:

Eh, I'd rather have guest spots from any of the people I said than have guest spots from people like Dr. Dre or whoever on that song called Treason that was floating around in people's minds. The reason it came to mind in the first place to me was because of the Green Day collaboration. That and U2 is known to work with other artists (Dylan, BB King, Willie Nelson, Sinead O'Connor, Sinatra, Johnny Cash, etc.)

11 songs and a bonus track. I don't think they'll really do a double album. They've stated in the past that they don't want to do a long album. I'd say: Regular album with 11/12 songs, a bonus DVD and/or a bonus Live CD, that would be cool.

the tourist said:

Wow. Harsh. I rarely see people tell the serious posters--you know, the ones with 10,000+(like you?)--to get a job. Yet because I'm bored one night while I'm working out and think of this people think I'm in need of more work than I already do?

that was a little harsh, i apologize.

With its recent penchant for multiple editions/fan-gougers, I could see U2 releasing a single disc version and a deluxe version. And a super-deluxe version with a DVD. A mega-deluxe version with pumpkin seeds.

Aardvark747 said:
Id love a double album. Can't ever believe Bono's BS tho. Nice post - tho some of the song titles are just crazy!:wink:

The song titles are what I had the most fun with! Hahaha. They're in the realm of names of songs/concepts that I'd use when I was in a band/writing music. And yeah, Bono is usually full of BS. But it's a nice dream....

The album's length will be...

***MAJOR SPOILERS***

11 songs, 48:30.

Where was Mercy on your track listing? :tsk:

the tourist said:

People using the word "Uber" remind me of 13 year old girls who have little-to-no vocabulary.

i've worked as a journalist, and i currently find myself teaching english.

i might remind you of a 13 year old girl, but you'd probably be wrong to think my vocabulary is small.

Back
Top Bottom