~Double Album Debate~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lew07

The Fly
Im finding it hard to agree with those doubters out there, and heres my logic...

lets take a look at some of the quotes and info we know already.

1) the obvious: "u2 penned 50-60 songs"

-this is the quote with the LEAST weight, its normal for band to write a ton of songs, and only the top of the crop make it...but it is encouraging to hear they DO have a lot of material.

2) Eno saying he was mixing "half the album", i think that was back in Nov.

-at this point they were about to move into olympic studios to record more, seems fishy that they'd be mixing while recording...:scratch:

3) Edge's Quote "album of two halves"

-this one really gets me bc it makes eveything else kinda make sense, and recently him saying he wants people to listen to this album, not just buy it. They are going for the big one folks:applaud: and thats amazing.

4) Bono's latest "its very long"

5) the fact that they Havent had a studio double album makes it more likley. If the greats (ie, beatles) have a 2LP, why not u2, to get to that level, if not now, then when?

I find it hard to believe that this isnt being talked about as much as it should be. If im in vegas, im betting for a doublem, but I wont be dissapointed if its as single album, but i have a sneaky suspicion that we may be in for an amazing "album of all albums" veryshortly.

Opinions?

Ps_i :heart:this forum and especially this very moment, right before the real deal:)

I thought this way for the longest time, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be true. Larry said they have a lot of material left and they want to get another album out asap. (He's said that before . . .) It just doesn't sound like something you say when you're releasing a double album. I will say, it doesn't sound like we've had a definitive tracklisting yet, so I guess' its not ruled out 100 percent, but I'm very doubtful now.

1) 50-60 songs would be more profitable if spread out among 2-3 albums not just 1
2) Maybe half of the album was finished and the "Stand Up" and other stuff from the Q mag wasn't
3) 2 halves maybe meaning the 6 atmospheric songs and the 6 punk ones
4) With 2 6+ min songs any album would be long IMO
5) Simply because they are U2

I really hope you're right, but I just don't see a double album in the horizon.

^ I would say it is a 99% cert it is a single. And an extra cd with the DVD movie of a couple more songs doesn't count.

The only thing I will say in support of the idea is that, yes Eno (or was it Danny) was mixing in November. They said half the album. It now seems that, according to Q, as of December that all, or almost all, of the songs were still being recorded. This would indicate to me that they MAY have been finishing off the second half of the album at Olympic, and there is a whole nother group already in the can.

I don't think this is true though.

It would be very cool if it were a double, but, and as Larry's quote confirms, I think they would hold the second disc worth of material, and release something quicker (mid tour, or mid 2010).

^ ill eat any, and everyone's boots, hats, or any article of clothing they would like to send me...

ahhhh others clothing.......

:hmm::sexywink:

do I sound freaky?

I had this thought and I don't know if anyone else already posted this.

What if they did consider a double album at some point, but for whatever reasons they backed off. And instead of saving the tracks, they released an EP as part of the subscription package to their offical site. 5-6 NEW songs that you can only get from signing up or renewing. I really wouldn't mind if this happened.

I'm willing to bet at best they pull a Coldplay -- full album of tracks (maybe an extra track for some of those extra high $$$ releases, just like the CD/DVD/book package of HTDAAB), followed by an EP later on in the year.

I agree with who ever said that it would be more profitable to put out 2-3 albums. I would also add that it would keep U2 in the public eye longer, which in turn would benefit their tour.

just a thought.

Maybe a 13-15 song album?

And it would be long if there was two tracks over 6 minutes long (MOS, Winter)

And EP 6 months after the release would be :drool:.

I see U2 gearing up to release quite a few collections in the coming years. We already know about the Anton Corbin film with U2 music on it. Something tells me that may be a more "passengers" style release; and U2 will put out the soundtrack further on up the road this year. Then perhaps an EP, and of course the Spiderman soundtrack.

I can't see U2 EVER releasing a double album. But it's possible they have already planned out a rapid succession of new releases in the next few years.

But then again...we always do this to ourselves. Every tour, we hope for a Zooropa, and don't get one - even though rumors abound. All we are sure of is at least 11 songs. I will be as overjoyed as anyone if a double album is announced, but come on...this is U2. 4 years per 11 songs is a hard and fast rule.

Prove me wrong, U2, prove me wrong.

</reverse psychology>

^Oh, no. Let's not start this one again.....:huh:

^Hehe

Anyway, I really don't think a double album is something possible. The closest thing we'll get to that is R&H. But I hope (and prefer) that this time Larry is not Bonoing and being seriously about a album coming out asap after NLOTH

It's good that Larry wants another album out quite soon, there is still a lot of decent to very good material left I guess. For a NLOTH Part 2. :wink:

Actually I just want an album that I can play during the entire duration that it takes me to finish a bottle of wine, 1/2 round of cheese, and a nice medium bodied cigar....with a minute or two to spare.

thats all. :wink:

And how long must that take you? :scratch:

It's not going to happen. Period. No debate necessary.

However, a second album released sooner than 2013 is possible. That's what I'm hoping for.

A month or so ago I was honestly on the fence about whether U2 would turn "No Line on the Horizon" into a double album... right now I honestly don't think that's going to happen.

It would seem to me that, while the songs may be a bit longer than we're used to from U2, we'll be getting a traditional 11 song record (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Also, there is no chance in hell Larry would allow for a double LP :shame:

Back
Top Bottom