Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When i read this i'm afraid > "Overall opinion: Awesome album, with a Achtung meets Bomb feel."

I'm really confused because AB is my favorite album from u2 & Bomb is awful for my ears ! > I can't imagine the new Album with this comment!!

I'd take it with a grain of salt, I've learned over the years that when people use previous work to describe new work it's usually because they are lazy or don't know what they are talking about...

I'm being a bit facetious

U2 will be just fine
those who are members of Interference will be just fine

those who want great tix will know how to get great tix
those who want a highly anticipated album will spend the money to get it
we will all live in pleasant harmony in 2009

U2 will take the cash and say thanks
we go home happy

people who hate U2 won't be among us in the stadiums, won't be in our homes or cars listening at full volume

I'm not complaining :wink:

Yes Roland, I am aware my opinions are subject to my opinion, but bomb sucked because it lacked cohesiveness. Instead of a flowing album, we got the U2 hit machine, it had good songs but no real feel as a whole. I find it hard to believe U2 came back down to earth on this one, what with the multiple breaks, locations, and producers, all trying to carve radio hits. I have a feeling the entire album hype is based on the video we sawfrom a fez session, you know the one we all love, where the guys are all around the mic doing that middle eastern chorous type dealy. You think that little bit was released by chance? I think that will be the best moment and best song on the album and nothing else will have that feel, aside from the artwork and verble promotion of course.

I'm being a bit facetious

U2 will be just fine
those who are members of Interference will be just fine

those who want great tix will know how to get great tix
those who want a highly anticipated album will spend the money to get it
we will all live in pleasant harmony in 2009

U2 will take the cash and say thanks
we go home happy

people who hate U2 won't be among us in the stadiums, won't be in our homes or cars listening at full volume

I'm not complaining :wink:

Well, I decided I want live in this world. It's nice. :hug:
I'm going to make it so. :wink:

I really don't understand all this "beyond his vocal abilities" crap....Maybe 1 or 2 or 3 times since the song was released has Bono ever nailed it live like the album version...and even then, not really, if we're really comparing it to the album version. There are some GREAT fifth leg vertigo performances where he sings it correctly and passionately. Sure, it's not as great as the album version, but when has it ever been? Even if he has really nailed it live before, it's just silly to say "After all these years, Bono can never be able to match that." He's never really been able to match it consistently to a point where we can point to a period of time and say "wow, Bono really had it back then". And I find it funny how people try to say that after ZooTV, its been going downhill. That's just bullshit. First of all, Bono sings Pride with a much fuller, powerful voice than his ZooTV voice...He holds the chorus longer too, and actually sings it properly! And you can clearly hear how beautifully he sings it at the Inaguration celebration rehearsal...he does a pretty good job considering how cold it was and just simply the environment they were performing in. Even so, listen to the chorus! It's really not that weak at all. Anyway, if you listen, for example to this 12-4-2006 performance (excuse the insanely shitty quality of this sound/video, but it'll suffice):

YouTube - U2 Vertigo Japan Pride in the name of love 04 dezembro 2006

now compare that to this:

YouTube - U2 Pride (In The Name Of Love) Live From ZooTV Sydney

It just doesn't compare...There is so much more power behind the first one....ZooTV sounds thin, it's so obvious. :shrug:

My point is that if we look at the more recent performances of this song, such as 12-4-2006 (the second to last show of the most recent tour), he is singing Pride better than he has in over 20 years....I mean that's what makes comments like you'd rather not hear "Bono struggle with it for the next ten years" seem a little uncalled for. Sorry, but I guess I'm one of the few who wouldn't mind hearing this song at all on the next tour. As long as they don't make it an every night thing, bring it on. :rockon:

Excellent post! Count me among those who think Bono will be very consistently good on Pride during the next tour. I hope they keep it in the set, and if I were the betting type, I would say that they certainly will. Pride has been sounding better and better lately. I am more and more convinced that UF, COH and Vertigo were the only times there were consistently good performances of Pride.

I will be happy to discuss my problems with GOYB.

1. Production: maybe it's the mp3, but the sound it squashed. Perhaps there will be a much better mix on the actual CD. Apart from the sonic qualities, there was so much they could've done arrangement wise, instead of just beating that damn riff to death, but they chose not to. Mistake imo.

2. The riff: I played it for friends without telling them who it was and they said "Is this the new Velvet Revolver?"
The riff is silly; a 12 year old could've come up with it. And the sound he's using for it sucks.

3. The drums. What's with the wimpy drum sound? Apart from the middle break where he steals a John Bonham groove, there's no power to the drums at all.

4. Vocals: please, don't even get me started. And Bono STILL continues to smoke. Good job man.

The overall vibe is that of Vertigo part 2. Even though it's two different songs, the vibe, the balls to the wall attitude, all reminicent of vertigo. Where's the change? Innovation?

These are my opinions, you all will disagree with them I'm sure. I'm not a u2 hater, but I hold them to a high standard.
I am hopeful that NLOTH is going to have a bunch of winners on it, and that this single was just a throwaway.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

What I love about Interference is that...
A.) There are members here who actually like Velvet Revolver BETTER than
U2. This guy is bummed because he thinks GOYB sounds like VR.
B.) Most of the people who like GOYB have specifically mentioned the drum parts and how pleased they are to have "larry back". Jofo thinks the
drum parts are "wimpy."

There's no pleasing everyone and thank God U2 aren't trying to.

I predict Second crap album in a row, but they won't quit, contrary to bono's famous line. Maybe they'll get it right in 2014...lol...jesus

You joined a fan site for a band you think is putting out crap albums
LAST MONTH???
You joined a fan site for a band you think should break up LAST MONTH??

Where the heck were you when you thought U2 were good? Lurking?
Jeepers creepers but this is what is wrong with the internet.
Nobody wants to talk about what they love--just what they hate.
:laugh:

Bomb wasn't a crap album and I'm more than happy to read a review like that. I would be shocked if U2 tried to copy what they did in the 90s. Please not a new AB or Pop. It's fine if they are mixing elements from the 90s with elements from their more recent albums, and if the album is cohesive it's all I'm asking for. Great news. :up: And some fans should be happy that the tracks aren't radio friendly.

Yes, radio friendly tracks are not good. Did you hear the radio lately? The sound of my toilet flushing every morning around 6:30 sounds better. If NLOTH has a lot of radio friendly tracks on it, it won't be any good.

are you that regular??

Yes Dan, I am a very stipt person. I flush my toilet every morning (except in the weekend) at 6:30 sharp. I have a whole set of things I do at a precise moment in the day. I think I may have a problem:ohmy:.

I am getting a really strong feeling that NLOTH is going to be appreciated more in Europe than in NA. The average music punter in Europe seems more flexible in their musical tastes than the US audience (I am thinking the wider general public here, not particularly obsessives on Interference!).

Certainly the shifts the band made in the 90's were more readily welcomed in Europe than elsewhere. When the band reverted to type in the 00's their NA popularity returned to it's highest for a very long time.

NLOTH is clearly going to be more of a challenge on the ears (great news in my mind) than recent offerings and I think there will be definite continental differences in how the album is received. I think the reaction to GOYB already gives an indication of this. Seperate ratings polls for GOYB based on the voters location would make very interesting reading.

I am getting a really strong feeling that NLOTH is going to be appreciated more in Europe than in NA. The average music punter in Europe seems more flexible in their musical tastes than the US audience (I am thinking the wider general public here, not particularly obsessives on Interference!).

Certainly the shifts the band made in the 90's were more readily welcomed in Europe than elsewhere. When the band reverted to type in the 00's their NA popularity returned to it's highest for a very long time.

Just don't forget the rest of the world. :bonodrum:

Vertigo, for instance, was hot in South America as well.
Also,the main tv chanell from Brazil already featured GOYB as a soundtrack for the Big Brother. Okay, terrible show but pretty watched. I recall they used Vertigo as soundtrack in the past, too. And City Of Blinding Lights.

Brazilians are awesome. They play great football and the girls are incredible. I wish I was at the Copacabana but unfortunately no dice.

What if the songs on the album are some sort of continuing story? Loosely like a movie soundtrack? Wouldn't that be awesome? I think it's very well possible. Makes sense in combination with those 14 clips, with the war corespondent Bono mentioned for one of the songs and with "I don’t want to talk about wars between nations / Not right now". Maybe in another song? It's also consistent with Bono saying that in his head it's all happening in 24 hours.

I predict Second crap album in a row, but they won't quit, contrary to bono's famous line. Maybe they'll get it right in 2014...lol...jesus

How in the world is "How To Dismantle" a crap album? Yes, it was uneven, but that's mostly because of the song order, not the quality of the songs.

I say it's crap by U2 standards and if the songs are good enough which they are not, than the order would not matter. With a couple exceptions, the songs on bomb are overproduced hooks, with no staying power. I would say ATYCLB is the same way but that album actually has a warm and vibrant feel to it. Bomb doesn't make me feel much at all.

I say it's crap by U2 standards and if the songs are good enough which they are not, than the order would not matter. With a couple exceptions, the songs on bomb are overproduced hooks, with no staying power. I would say ATYCLB is the same way but that album actually has a warm and vibrant feel to it. Bomb doesn't make me feel much at all.

I somehow agree with you; I only like 4 tunes off ATYCLB and probably most of Bomb, but ATYCLB is much warmer and pleasing to listen to.

I somehow agree with you; I only like 4 tunes off ATYCLB and probably most of Bomb, but ATYCLB is much warmer and pleasing to listen to.

HTDAAB is mixed loud. It should fatigue most ears. I love the album but I try and turn it down to listen to because I know the CD won't reveal more detail. :D

I agree; we've said this back in 2004 but it bears repeating: mixing and mastering on Bomb is atrocious.
Listen to the end of OOTS; you can't even hear the snare drum over the acoustic guitar....that's because the eq wasn't set right on the snare....or the levels weren't right on the automation....whatever.....

Why has it become so difficult for a band as creative and great as them to not get the fucking recording process right?????
Listening to UF tonight; it's 100000000000000 times better recorded than ATYCLB, Bomb, or Boots....

WTF???????

The 00s trend for loud production (industry wide, not U2) is just awful.

Say it over and over with me: Thank god Rick Rubin was dumped.

Just don't forget the rest of the world. :bonodrum:

Vertigo, for instance, was hot in South America as well.
Also,the main tv chanell from Brazil already featured GOYB as a soundtrack for the Big Brother. Okay, terrible show but pretty watched. I recall they used Vertigo as soundtrack in the past, too. And City Of Blinding Lights.

OMG! When?????? :down: :mad:

Yes, radio friendly tracks are not good. Did you hear the radio lately? The sound of my toilet flushing every morning around 6:30 sounds better. If NLOTH has a lot of radio friendly tracks on it, it won't be any good.

I'm not sure if you read any of the Q or RS articles but it looks like there won't be many radio friendly singles on it....but U2 has been known to take uncommonly radio friendly songs and make them "radio friendly" WOWY, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc.

The mixing and mastering on Bomb is awful, it ruins so many songs that could of been really great. I just really hope No Line is better

Back
Top Bottom