Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eas

The Fly
Is it me or are there a lot of people saying No Line is the best ever?

Is this different from past album hypefests? I forget, except Bono's ridiculousness

In no particular order:

Chris Evans
Steve Lillywhite
That guy who runs the O2 arena
Brian Eno
The Edge
Some random guy posting on @U2 who claims to work for Universal Ireland
My inner 13 year old fan

Also "some of our best work"

Dan Lanois
Larry

No, this album sucks. Just like every album since U2:3. Because I say so. I have a thousand-some posts on the biggest U2 obsession forum in the world, so I am qualified to say that U2 are a miserable, abhorrent excuse for music.

I'll definately reserve my judgment until I hear the new album. Certainly knowing that Unknown Caller, Magnificent, and Breathe being awesome in their earlier forms bodes well. I'm really interested in hearing MOS and F-BB as the descriptions sound good.

I keep telling myself that it'll probably sound a lot like HTDAAB; that way, I'll be really impressed when it doesn't.

there's been far less hype than for the last two albums, it's why i'm much more confident.

This is part of the reason why I believe the hype too. There's no weird Bono quotes like punk rock on venus, the Edge is on fire (okay the Space Moon stuff or whatever but that was just explaining the delay), or "the mother of all rock songs" or whatever.

^ amen Sicy.

The hype this time around is very different to Bomb. With Bmob, it was only really Bono and Edge that said anything. This time, it seems the only one not saying anything is Bono.

I think he's been muzzled, but replacing that is the genuine excitment of Eno and Lanois, and just about everyone who's heard it, so I guess we wont know until we hear it, but I for one am very excited

I feel like we cant judge the whole album just from Boots though. For all we know each song could be uniquely different. And everyone could feel totally different about each song. I have a feeling this album is going to be something U2 has really never done before.

No, this album sucks. Just like every album since U2:3. Because I say so. I have a thousand-some posts on the biggest U2 obsession forum in the world, so I am qualified to say that U2 are a miserable, abhorrent excuse for music.

:lmao:

Way to imitate the U2 haters. :up:

I think with U2 though it's mostly been the case that each single has been indicative of the whole albums sound- vertigo was, the fly was, discoteque was

I wouldn't say that The Fly was indicative of Achtung Baby... but it set the attitude for the rest of the decade, which is why it was the perfect lead single.

In all honesty, now... I'm buying into the hype. :D

I feel like we cant judge the whole album just from Boots though. For all we know each song could be uniquely different. And everyone could feel totally different about each song. I have a feeling this album is going to be something U2 has really never done before.

I literally went through cycles of euphoria and then doubt about boots.

About doubt things like "well this doesn't have a beautiful murky production like Achtung, therefore it can't be the best"

But then, what if it does have its own special feeling or sound which is utterly unique, which boots if only a taste of.

I think, if you look back on the last few first singles, they are more about bridging between eras than introducing a new one.

GOYB moves people from what they expected after vertigo into the world of noises and experimentation

Vertigo took the stripped back style of ATYCLB and turned it into a rocker

Beautiful Day took the song style and concepts of pop, and turned them into hand-played anthems (also, some of the noises in BD and effects seem like a nice bridge)

Discotheque took experiementation into a more dancy feeling

Numb brought the industrial redirection from AB into more alternative plateaus

The Fly borrowed a lot from God pt II, but said to the world, this is how it is, deal with it

Desire took the embracing of america on JT and turned it into a more country vibe

WOWY took the atmospherics of TUF (infinate guitar etc) and showed superior songwriting skills

Pride took some signiture Edge War sounds, and made it a bit more of a melodic anthem

NYD took the piano inspired music from parts of october and gave them a warish edge

Fire took the memory man unit and introduced a sound with more space and more spirituality

They've done it forever. GOYB is the link to what is to come

I got exactly that I wanted in the new single...subtle melodies with emphasis on texture, density, and production. Sexy Boots has me incredibly optimistic about the new album. And this notion that Edge expressed about focusing on an album as opposed to individual singles is refreshing. I absolutely despise this new culture of digital music and playlists.

i got this feeling this album/tour era is really going to be something else, and in a good way. GOYB doesn't seem like the biggest track that the album will have, but more of a opener, something to ease you into this.

I think, if you look back on the last few first singles, they are more about bridging between eras than introducing a new one.

GOYB moves people from what they expected after vertigo into the world of noises and experimentation

Beautiful Day took the song style and concepts of pop, and turned them into hand-played anthems (also, some of the noises in BD and effects seem like a nice bridge)

The Fly borrowed a lot from God pt II, but said to the world, this is how it is, deal with it

Desire took the embracing of america on JT and turned it into a more country vibe

WOWY took the atmospherics of TUF (infinate guitar etc) and showed superior songwriting skills

Pride took some signiture Edge War sounds, and made it a bit more of a melodic anthem

NYD took the piano inspired music from parts of october and gave them a warish edge

Fire took the memory man unit and introduced a sound with more space and more spirituality

Give me my thoughts back. :madwife:

:wink:

:cocktail:*Post of the Year*:cocktail:

Agreed. Though the various songs have drawn all-over-the-place comparisons, the most frequent I've heard is to AB. If that's true then GYOB probably does serve the same purpose as The Fly. The new single certainly grabs me that way. I can't say GYOB will end up in my Top 10 favorite U2 songs but it definitely has my attention!

I can't say GYOB will end up in my Top 10 favorite U2 songs but it definitely has my attention!

I think thats a GREAT point.

I don't think the people here (myself included) who love the song would argue that it would make a top 10. But the point of the song is to engage your interest, and get you excited by a mixture if interesting songwriting and new sounds.

Once the album is out, it will probably slide away (probably why it is track 6, not 1) and the other amazing music will swamp it.

I think the purpose of THIS single, as opposed to Vertigo is that its not trying to be a number 1 single, its not trying to be their best song, its just trying to be interesting enough to get you to find out about the new sound

I think with U2 though it's mostly been the case that each single has been indicative of the whole albums sound- vertigo was, the fly was, discoteque was

What? Vertigo was the least HTDAAB-sounding song on HTDAAB. Only the first three tracks on Pop fit together, while the rest feels completely separate to me musically. The Fly sort of fits on Achtung Baby, but not like a glove. It was really meant as a notice that U2 was going to change things up with the new album.

Beautiful Day would have been a better example, honestly.

I keep telling myself that it'll probably sound a lot like HTDAAB; that way, I'll be really impressed when it doesn't.

Me too. Totally. I've been doing that for a while. Expect nothing. Expect the Bomb pt.II. That way, if it's even mildly good, I'll be very happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom