Doha, Qatar Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't fail at loving Youtube though:

YouTube - The Killers - Tidal Wave (iTunes Bonus Track)

He does not actually mention rape no...but he does mention death. And AIDS.

Well, better than most of Day & Age at least. What a funny little band, making such odd tracklisting choices.

Does he mention illegal downloaders killing AIDS sufferers?

I think maybe I should give those last three or four tracks a spin outside of the album context. By the time I get to them, I'm so engrossed in the album as a whole that I really can't discern them as individual songs, you know?

On a side/unrelated note, I'm listening to Viva La Vida for the second time.

I'm afraid to admit it, but I do very much like Viva La Vida. The music is great. Too bad CMart is a pretentious wanker throughout.

Well, better than most of Day & Age at least. What a funny little band, making such odd tracklisting choices.

Does he mention illegal downloaders killing AIDS sufferers?

The album is very strange. It still seems to be missing a vital piece of theme, but I'm letting it go, as I absolutely love every song on it now. I just wish Tidal Wave was ON the album, I think it actually would help with theme.

I'm afraid to admit it, but I do very much like Viva La Vida. The music is great. Too bad CMart is a pretentious wanker throughout.

I like the music on the album. And I like CMart when he's not trying to hit the high notes. He kills Viva La Vida the SONG though. The music to that is epic, his voice is kinda shit.

Keith Urban's accent is scaring me even more than his music and face right about now.

You're wanting the fourth video on that page btw.

EEN, you suck, I was hoping you'd make the next thread. Who'll take us to Mumbai (or Asse or Prickwillow or wherever) now?

:wave:

And Ashley, only I am allowed to multiquote on the Superthread. :tsk:

Cemeteries of London is kinda meh.

Lost would be good....with a different vocalist.

Yes most of my complaining about this album will probably be based on CMart's voice.

The album. The song is pissweak. Violet Hill too. Terrible single choices.

It's one of those albums that I consciously know kind of sucks, but I enjoy it anyway. Like Oasis' recent albums.

Ah, that's good. I mean, I've only heard Viva, Violet Hill and Lovers In Japan, so for all I know there are better songs on there. I was afraid I'd have to butt in and go all LU on you if you said you liked the song.

Nah, it's cool. Hell, some people here listen to U2.

I think the music in Viva (the song) is at least as bland and try-hard as Christina's vocals. The bridge and ending are incredibly self-satisfied. Plus, it's a terrible subject for a song in general, I don't see how anyone could take it for real other than someone who plays Halo 3 all day.

I could go on a long rant about how much of a missed opportunity Viva La Vida was, but it's still remarkable that it doesn't completely suck ass. I figured they were completely out of ideas, but they managed to find another treasure trove of great music to cop.

That said, I'm out for the night. :wave:

Okay, that seems a bit too copycat. I like the idea in theory, but the truth is we don't have as much Aboriginal heritage in Modern Australia as Modern New Zealand has Maori heritage, so to speak. I don't know exactly how many Aboriginal Union players there are, if it's like the NZ team and there tends to readily be an experienced indigenous player for the captain role, it could be a good idea. But Aboriginal people didn't have as many similarities and traditions as the Maoris - there isn't anything as concrete as the haka, although there are certain dances and poses that are quite recognisable.

Anyway, I don't think this is the time to do it, I think we should work on what really matters in the issue, work on confidence boosting and welfare in the meantime. Perhaps adding the challenge could be used as a form of celebration if great improvements are made in the future.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I've no idea how you are meant to adequately represent thousands of different Aboriginal nations. And I'm not very familiar with this aspect of Aboriginal culture - is there even much of a tradition of war dances like there is in Polynesian cultures?

Definitely the biggest problem is just how marginalised Aboriginal culture is in contemporary Australia, and the relative lack of indigenous talent in union compared to, say, AFL. Maori culture is a recognisable part of broader New Zealand identity, so it's fitting. But can you see white Australia (pun intended) identifying with and bonding over an Aboriginal dance? Hell no. As utterly lame as it is, these attempts to get Aussie crowds singing Waltzing Matilda as a Haka response make more sense in the current climate. I totally agree with what you say about this simply not being the right time because there is so much else to be done first.

G'night Traviud. :wave:

I don't see how anyone could take it for real other than someone who plays Halo 3 all day.

Well, Chris Martin does look like all he does after a hard day's hairdressing is play Halo 3. And maybe World Of Warcraft. With cin's hubby.

And I'm still yet to hear a note from Viva La Vida. SuperWin.

Then how do you KNOW Life in Technicolor is a streets rip off, Ax?!?!?!?!

Rob told me. He's an oracle of knowledge.

Hey, did you hear U2 played at the Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein in February?

Did you hear that the end of Lovers in Japan is City of Blinding Lights?

I bet it's not as good as (Original Of The Species).

Alright folks, hurry up and finish this thread. I've got the new one almost ready to go.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I've no idea how you are meant to adequately represent thousands of different Aboriginal nations. And I'm not very familiar with this aspect of Aboriginal culture - is there even much of a tradition of war dances like there is in Polynesian cultures?

Definitely the biggest problem is just how marginalised Aboriginal culture is in contemporary Australia, and the relative lack of indigenous talent in union compared to, say, AFL. Maori culture is a recognisable part of broader New Zealand identity, so it's fitting. But can you see white Australia (pun intended) identifying with and bonding over an Aboriginal dance? Hell no. As utterly lame as it is, these attempts to get Aussie crowds singing Waltzing Matilda as a Haka response make more sense in the current climate. I totally agree with what you say about this simply not being the right time because there is so much else to be done first.

Oh, absolutely - probably no matter what they'd choose, in a way, it'd just be like having, say, Flamenco to represent all of Europe. I think 'war dances' probably has a different meaning over a lot of different tribes (not really the right word to describe individual Aboriginal peoples, they are/were mainly divided by languages, but I'll use it for now). I am sure that some tribes would have done a war dance back at camp before battle, some could have done it immediately before battle in front of the enemy, and some probably during the battle as a means of defence and evasion against ranged weapons, which likely solved more battles than melee weapons. That's somewhat besides the point, though. Certainly, on the whole Aboriginal cultures weren't as warlike as the Polynesians, they were typically structured more on social and peaceful terms.

If AFL becomes international, I can see the appeal in adapting something that this, but of course that's going to be in the far distance future, if ever. In the meantime, as we've established the Maori are a bigger part of popular Kiwi identity than Aboriginals are for Australia, as depressing as it is to say. I don't know much about the tradition of challenges like the haka in Union matches, so I can't go any further - but for the sake of how the Aboriginal state is currently, adding any Australian war dance to the national team would be a misconceived and patronising idea.

NP: Invisible Sun

I've only ever heard the one with Bono from the Jersey COH show, but I enjoy the fact that apparently the Police fucked around with the instruments and amps just to piss off the soddin' mountain goat. I read that in Uncut. Maybe they're not such bad guys after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom