Desert Island IX: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can cut skits off can't you? I've done that in the past, Aquemini springs to mind.

Not allowed to edit tracks in any way, no

(Though I've totally adjusted volume levels in the past, which is also against the rules)

Are you sure? I seem to recall there being a rule that if there was a clear break between song and skit, you could cut the skit off. I definitely did that the last time I did DI. The last 30 seconds of Aquemini lead into Synthesiser and I cut them off.

That isn't an official rule, seems to defeat the purpose. I'd be curious to see if you got permission though, maybe that's something to make a permanent rule for DI10.

It seems counterintuitive to me. I understand not editing tracks because of an extra guitar riff or a fade-back-in or something, but it seems a shame to not be able to use Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe because of the skit at the end.

Props if you can find a way to make it work though. To use Outkast again you made the skit at the end of Da Art of Storytellin work.

Yeah, bitch don't kill my vibe should be avoided not because of a skit, but more because of the fact that it's an awful song.

I cut off the little piano talking intro for A Day In The Life off the end of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from Love in DI V. There was a clear break. I think if it's definitely a different song, that should be okay to do. At least, that's to say, I've done it without penalty in the past.

When I ran the tournament, you could edit a song to remove material that wasn't part of the song. I formulated the rule to allow the removal of bonus tracks after a lengthy period of silence, but removing skits would be covered by it - I just didn't think of it at the time. Obviously they're not my rules any more, but that was my intention at the time. The rule really just existed to stop people lopping off a few seconds of the actual song to fit within the time limit or force a segue or do something else against the spirit of the competition.

The rule really just existed to stop people lopping off a few seconds of the actual song to force a segue

Isn't that what you would be doing by lopping off a skit though? I understand the distinction between "the song proper" and a skit that has nothing musically in common with the rest of the track, but that challenge has always been part of the fun for me. Again, if that's something you guys collectively want to change, it shall be done, but it is a can of worms because to make things an even playing field I'll have to add in a tutorial for Audacity next time. Someone is likely to have questions about track editing.

I'd like it changed, within reason.

And you can just do it in iTunes - change the running time in get info, then right click, create AAC version.

Isn't that what you would be doing by lopping off a skit though? I understand the distinction between "the song proper" and a skit that has nothing musically in common with the rest of the track, but that challenge has always been part of the fun for me. Again, if that's something you guys collectively want to change, it shall be done, but it is a can of worms because to make things an even playing field I'll have to add in a tutorial for Audacity next time. Someone is likely to have questions about track editing.

I agree. Even if it costs me Kendrick I'd prefer to keep it as a rule. Some of my best transitions have come about trying to link the different endings and beginnings of songs together and it'd just be too easy to be able to chop things off.

Yeah, bitch don't kill my vibe should be avoided not because of a skit, but more because of the fact that it's an awful song.

Wrong.

I suppose it can be a bit case-by-case as to how separate the skit (or whatever else) is from the song. For instance, that silly interview at the end of Van Diemen's Land would have to be kept even under my reading of the rule, since the song seamlessly fades into it. But if the song itself is over, and then some other material that does not belong to the song is included in the track file, then I have no problem cutting that, whether it's a ten second skit or five minutes of dead air followed by a hidden track.

And to save time, I'd just say that the editing option is only open for those people already capable of it or figuring it out for themselves; no need to add Audacity tutorials or anything. If you can't figure out how to edit a track, you don't deserve to be able to do it - it's not exactly a sign of genius to figure out that you should Google it and follow a tutorial.

I suppose it can be a bit case-by-case as to how separate the skit (or whatever else) is from the song. For instance, that silly interview at the end of Van Diemen's Land would have to be kept even under my reading of the rule, since the song seamlessly fades into it. But if the song itself is over, and then some other material that does not belong to the song is included in the track file, then I have no problem cutting that, whether it's a ten second skit or five minutes of dead air followed by a hidden track.

And to save time, I'd just say that the editing option is only open for those people already capable of it or figuring it out for themselves; no need to add Audacity tutorials or anything. If you can't figure out how to edit a track, you don't deserve to be able to do it - it's not exactly a sign of genius to figure out that you should Google it and follow a tutorial.

I agree with all of this.

I ran it the same way as Ax; I allowed the editing of songs to remove skits or dead space between the last official song on an album and a bonus track. And I allowed an intro or interlude to be included with the actual song that followed, as with All Of The Lights. We don't need to get too technical here.

Huh. As of DI8, all I saw was this:

4. Tracks may not be edited/shortened in any way. However, you may edit a track to remove a separate hidden track at the end. Naturally, this rule does not apply to official edits covered by rule #3, such as radio edits.

It isn't something I can fix now, and the dozen or so of us with finished playlists have no use of it (I wouldn't have used it anyway), but this should be formally adjusted for DI10, for clarity's sake.

I cut off the little piano talking intro for A Day In The Life off the end of While My Guitar Gently Weeps from Love in DI V. There was a clear break. I think if it's definitely a different song, that should be okay to do. At least, that's to say, I've done it without penalty in the past.

Man, to think of how many songs I could have used if I did this!

Huh. As of DI8, all I saw was this:

It isn't something I can fix now, and the dozen or so of us with finished playlists have no use of it (I wouldn't have used it anyway), but this should be formally adjusted for DI10, for clarity's sake.

It was a case by case basis, but I was normally pretty flexible. You are right though - the official rule should probably be updated.

I don't know if others have noted this I only just caught on when I was making a folder to put all the files in but Desert Island 9's acronym is DIIX, I was almost tempted to create a new theme for my playlist.

Life's pretty busy the next two weeks. I think I'm gonna have to pull out of this one guys. Make it perfect for the next one. Sorry to stuff you round. Will still watch with interest.

Damn. OK.

1. LemonMelon
2. bono_212
3. namkcuR
4. Joey788
5. iron yuppie
6. Axver
7. Padj
8. gump
9. IWasBored
10. phanan
11. LemonMirrorSky
12. the tourist
13. The Sad Punk
14. nielsgov
15. djerdap
16. Danny Boy
17. PhilsFan
18. Mr. V
19. LJT
20. Lazarus

Cobbler out, Axver in.

Mine will be ready in a wee bit, just waiting on the upload.

I've been putting together an alt country list, so I'd be in. Would this be a shorter version or full length DI?

If I'm running it again: full length with no minimum and a cap of 160 minutes. So if you only have one disc, that's fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom