Desert Island IX: Rules and Signup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! I've been holding off on putting together a list since I wasn't sure this was going to happen again, but I guess I'll dust off my playlisting lack of skill.

Since this would be the 10th DI, I'm really considering taking off a lot of the restrictions. Like I said, there is a lot of room for variety in list length and I also think it would be cool if we allowed repeat tracks this time. For the sake of the anniversary, it would be cool if we went full circle and approached old tracks in a new way. I trust that allowance won't be abused.

Basically, I just want us to have a lot of fun this time out. I always do, but if we've done this 10 times, I want it to differ meaningfully from the other installments. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

We've got 7 participants in 5 hours. Not bad. A handful more and I'll start the signup thread.

Since this would be the 10th DI, I'm really considering taking off a lot of the restrictions. Like I said, there is a lot of room for variety in list length and I also think it would be cool if we allowed repeat tracks this time. For the sake of the anniversary, it would be cool if we went full circle and approached old tracks in a new way. I trust that allowance won't be abused.

Basically, I just want us to have a lot of fun this time out. I always do, but if we've done this 10 times, I want it to differ meaningfully from the other installments. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't think I'll compete, but this is definitely a good idea.

Aww, it would be disappointing if you didn't participate. Your tastes change so much from DI to DI that I never know what to expect from your lists anymore.

It would be refreshing to do a single disc DI one of these days, because with everyone doing doubles it's a lot to listen to.

I guess I'm in either way.

Yeah, that's why I'm allowing everything. I want to test the waters and see if people gravitate more towards the shorter or longer playlists and then we'll see with the next DI. If all but a handful do shorter lists, we'll know what's easier for everyone. 14 of DI9's lists were over 100 minutes and about half nearly hit the max, so I'm playing it safe for the time being.

Last edited:
Aww, it would be disappointing if you didn't participate. Your tastes change so much from DI to DI that I never know what to expect from your lists anymore.

I just don't know if I get much out of it any more - i.e. it hasn't proven to be a terribly effective way of discovering new music, no doubt in part because my tastes don't tend to align very strongly with the rest of the forum.

That said, I haven't made a list in ages and would enjoy it. Partly it's down to number of participants. I very much doubt I could do justice to twenty lists, but ten? Probably. Plus I do enjoy hearing the incredibly well sequenced lists.

If I participate, given it's the tenth edition, I might abandon a specific theme or genre and aim to make something representative of my favourites today, as a contrast to the original DI. The differences would be very striking; I think there would be very little crossover at all. When did we do the first one, 2005? God how times have changed.

I just don't know if I get much out of it any more - i.e. it hasn't proven to be a terribly effective way of discovering new music, no doubt in part because my tastes don't tend to align very strongly with the rest of the forum.

That said, I haven't made a list in ages and would enjoy it. Partly it's down to number of participants. I very much doubt I could do justice to twenty lists, but ten? Probably. Plus I do enjoy hearing the incredibly well sequenced lists.

If I participate, given it's the tenth edition, I might abandon a specific theme or genre and aim to make something representative of my favourites today, as a contrast to the original DI. The differences would be very striking; I think there would be very little crossover at all. When did we do the first one, 2005? God how times have changed.

Keep an eye on the list of participants and if it's low, please do hand in a list. You would be missed.

In either case, I'll send you my list. No sarcasm: I expect it'll be one of your favorites yet.

Man, I'd really like to do this. I have a list I'm fairly excited about that I've been working on for a while.

I just don't know if I have the time right now to be listening to everyone else's lists. I've been really busy.

It depends how many lists there are to listen to and how far apart they are.

Maybe if we have ten participants and one list posted at a time, instead of twenty with five at a time?

I don't know. I guess you can count me in for now, but I may have to drop out at any time, depending on how many contestants, how long we'll have, what the format will be, etc.

All I know is last place is mine. It's been mine every time I've played, I will make sure this time is no different.

Oh good, I don't want to go searching through the old threads to try an figure out if I already used the sonics' "strychnine."

It would be refreshing to do a single disc DI one of these days, because with everyone doing doubles it's a lot to listen to.

I guess I'm in either way.

Single-disc mixes open up more opportunities for folks to join & listen. It hampers the obsessives who like cramming the 2-disc max or ones whose taste veers into non-pop song territory, but honestly, I'd rather just ask them to commission a mix straight up than deter new submissions. What's the breakdown of new people for each contest anyway?

Another question, can we open up the use of television/movie/mixed media snippets embedded in the lists?

Another question, can we open up the use of television/movie/mixed media snippets embedded in the lists?

Sure, what the hell.

Question: anyone want to throw out the final lists this time and use polls instead? It would fit the old school DI theme and wouldn't punish anyone for not listening/not bullshitting together a list at the last minute. We could do discussion threads concurrently with them, or just have one centralized discussion/chat thread that hopefully won't get moved to OOC this time.

We have 10-11 people in here expressing interest, so that's more than enough to get a signup thread going.

Last edited:
Solid gold.

How would the polls work? Brackets like the original set or that shitty Euro system that made zero sense?

Shots fired, rest of the world.

Back
Top Bottom