Desert Island Album Game: Grand Final!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which tracklisting do you prefer?

• VertigoGal's tracklisting

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • LemonMacPhisto's tracklisting

Votes: 31 60.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Why is this even relevant? When I made my tracklistings or voted on those made by others, I wasn't thinking about the sex or race of the musicians, but of how good the music sounded to my ears.

Why is this relevant?

You're saying that the only music worth listening to, for the rest of your life, is white male rock music?

Actually, the whole board is saying that. The proof is in the pudding.

One choice excludes any contribution black artists have made to music. It's simply not worth hearing ever again.

The other completely ignores any contribution females have made to music. It's simply not woth hearing ever again.

And any music that isn't "rock" music, isn't worth hearing, ever again.

But Interference has broad musical tastes?

That's simply not true.

PlaTheGreat said:
This was when Michael was still black. Maybe instead of telling us to open our ears, you should open your eyes. :huh:

Scan VertigoGals mix.

Now list all the black artists/performers.

Scan LMP's list.

Now list all the female artists/performers.

You'll have a nice tiny list when your done.

MrBrau1 said:

Scan VertigoGals mix.

Now list all the black artists/performers.

Scan LMP's list.

Now list all the female artists/performers.

You'll have a nice tiny list when your done.

Does it really matter? :| For goodness' sake, do you honestly expect people to represent every single race, gender, and genre of music on two CDs? You're being absolutely ridiculous.

MrBrau1 said:

All the voters need to broaded their horizons. Alot. Their taste blows.
if i were to hazard a guess, i'd say that most of the people who took the time to make these lists were just thinking of 160 minutes of music that they personally would like to hear if they were stuck on a desert island.

i'm pretty sure they weren't trying to make a playlist that encompassed the global history of music.

it's kind of unfair of you to call people out as narrow-minded, musically or otherwise, just because they approached the task from a different perspective than you did.

and if impy can't win, vg gets my vote. :up:

MrBrau1 said:

Why is this relevant?

You're saying that the only music worth listening to, for the rest of your life, is white male rock music?

Did I say that? No. Did I even remotely imply that? No. I'm saying you're creating an issue that simply doesn't exist. I didn't pick or vote based on the sex or race of the musicians, but on how good it sounds to me. In fact, I hadn't even THOUGHT about the sex or race of the musicians until you started banging on about it over the last few rounds. As a matter of fact, I don't even know the race of many of the artists involved. For all I know, they're purple with flouro yellow polka dots and come from Neptune. And more importantly, I don't care. I'm voting based on how good the music sounds to my ears (in which case, I think this final should be between myself and liamcool), and I'm not even noting what race the musicians are.

But if you want to harp on about the race and sex of the musicians, why not their nationality too? Why aren't you complaining that New Zealanders and Australians and South Africans and Israelis and Russians are hopelessly under-represented (or just not represented) in this competition? Because if I remember correctly, despite the fact New Zealand has its own unique music industry (Dunedin Sound, anyone?), besides my own tracklisting, only two others even had a single song by a New Zealand band or artist. So this forum thinks music is only worth listening to if it's from the Northern Hemisphere? It's good music as long as it's not from Pacific Islands? Don't be silly.

If I'd have known I was going to get judged on how many female artists were on my tracklisting it would have helped me on the agonizing decision on whether to include The Pretenders, Aretha Franklin, Kate Bush and Sarah MacLachlan over male artists I happen to love equally. :|

Brau, I think you need to chill. Many of us praised your compilation and thought you got a raw deal on having to go against such tough competition in the opening rounds. Would we do that if we were so closed-minded musically?

Last edited:
We can vote on these lists, but we can't say anything critical about them?

Bullshit.

I'm sorry my dissenting opinion bothers so many people. Tough. The list sucks.
The people who voted it have crap taste. Oh, let me put in the disclaimer before
everyone shits themselves: IMO. If I've broken some rule, report me. I could care
less I lost. I knew the winning list would look like this, and knew from day one I'd
have issues with it.

So, someone counter me. Tell me how amazing the winning list is. This has been
the will of the entire forum. We have chosen this ultimate list of songs. It should
be impressing the hell out of almost everyone here.

This wasn't just a "make a great mix" contest, is was "the only music we'd be hearing for the rest of our lives" contest.

We've got our winning list. Does it knock your socks off? Interference has decided
these are the most necessary songs out of a cast of hundreds of thousands of songs.
It should be making most here :drool:

What's so great about it?
What blows about it?
Tell me your opinion.
Write about it.
I'm being completely serious.

A discussion might break out.

We used to have those here.

Well to be fair I regretted not including more black artists, in retrospect. Because I did mainly approach it as a lot of my favorites at the time that I put together sort of quickly. If I looked at it again from the supposedly intended perspective it'd be a somewhat different list.

But no use living in the past. :shame:

:p

MrBrau1 said:
The list sucks. The people who voted it have crap taste. Oh, let me put in the disclaimer before
everyone shits themselves: IMO.

Nice attitude.

Never mind the bollocks. Let's get on with the voting.

I feel the same way as VG. :up:

I put mine together because I enjoy those songs and would not mind listening to them for the rest of my natural life on a desert island, which is the purpose of this contest.

I also agree with Axver, it's about overall enjoyment, not because of their race or sex.

Since when did this become an Affirmative Action CD Contest?

Diversity isn't just an old, old wooden ship from the Civil War era.

Last edited:
Gah! I didn't think these were supposed to be the PC desert island cds. I thought it was pretty clearly stated as being discs of what each individual participant would like as his or her desert island discs.

But it's getting to be a great thread for :corn:

VertigoGal said:
No don't get on with the voting yet...I'm still busy creating about 17 alters to give me a bit of a lead. :shifty:

:lmao:

I like your attitude, VG! Go for it! :D

And one more thing. It's not like Brau knows whether people here left out black artists and/or women on purpose! I would guess that you subconciously pick 80 min worth of the best songs that move you the most. You don't go around even thinking what the gender or the race of the artist is! :huh:

All the more baffling. :huh:

Gah!

Zootlesque said:
I would guess that you subconciously pick 80 min worth of the best songs that move you the most.

Thanks for making my point.

According to the vote results, people on interference aren't moved by any music that isn't white male rock music.

Last edited:
mmm, cliched argument :drool:

If I'm in another contest like this, I'll send my tracklisting to you Brau so you can OK it for me. Is that alright with you?

MrBrau1 said:
We can vote on these lists, but we can't say anything critical about them?

Bullshit.

I'm sorry my dissenting opinion bothers so many people. Tough. The list sucks.
The people who voted it have crap taste. Oh, let me put in the disclaimer before
everyone shits themselves: IMO. If I've broken some rule, report me. I could care
less I lost. I knew the winning list would look like this, and knew from day one I'd
have issues with it.

So, someone counter me. Tell me how amazing the winning list is. This has been
the will of the entire forum. We have chosen this ultimate list of songs. It should
be impressing the hell out of almost everyone here.

This wasn't just a "make a great mix" contest, is was "the only music we'd be hearing for the rest of our lives" contest.

We've got our winning list. Does it knock your socks off? Interference has decided
these are the most necessary songs out of a cast of hundreds of thousands of songs.
It should be making most here :drool:

What's so great about it?
What blows about it?
Tell me your opinion.
Write about it.
I'm being completely serious.

A discussion might break out.

We used to have those here.

*time to feed the chooks....................here sook,sook,sook....here sooksooksook:rolleyes: *

Look.........MrBrau1............it's just a game, my favourite is not here........and no it was'nt you........actually..........it was Bonos Shades.........although i did vote for you twice, really once as i was too late voting for you back in heat 2........Yes.......interesting is'nt it......my vote alone would have made you the sole winner of that heat.........I was very glad you got a draw.........and i was glad you came through again. But a vote is a vote!!! So stop your whining,put your mother where your mouth is and put another compilation in the next game and see where that gets you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom