Desert Island 2.5: Prog Island Album Game Master List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's part of the reason we're doing the prog island competition, to try some tweaking and see how it works. I think four hours of music is great to show off progressive rock, because it gives us the chance to stretch out and focus on some beautifully constructed longer pieces of music, but in the end, it's a long time, so the consensus has been to revert back to the previous length, which was 160 minutes, for Desert Island 3.

Screwtape2 said:

A couple weeks at least. I know a lot of people are pretty far on their playlists but I recommend that everyone looks at these playlists for ideas on how to make their playlists stand out. My hope would be that everyone tries to go for something special in the next game.

I was definitely trying to do that for my next one, but I thought that length of the next playlist would be 240 minutes as well.

I made a backup 160 minute playlist last night I'm pretty proud of.

Will there be an opening up of the rules to include bootlegs or unofficial material, and number of songs from one artist?

Just I am kinda putting together my playlist now......

Last edited:
I believe we will be sticking to the one song per artist rule for the next Desert Island. We took that rule away just for Prog Island because it's just for one specific genre.

And I don't think bootlegs or unofficial material will be included still.

Axver or Screwtape can confirm for you, as they are running this.

One song per artist will stay. I'm a big fan of that rule, and even though I saw the logic in waiving it for this mini-tournament, I still abided by it myself, as my tracklist shows.

As long as I am running the tournament, bootlegs/other unofficial material will never be permitted.

Regarding whether we will revert to 160 minutes, I initially thought there was a consensus that while 240 minutes was valuable for this mini-tournament, it was too long for the main game. However, I think that consensus has broken down. I would like further discussion.

Really, listening to 4 hours of music per person is a sick thing to make us do. :giggle: I stick to my previous opinion that it would make folks less likely to listen through the playlists and would possibly even drop the vote count a bit.

I tend to agree. While compiling four hours of music would be fun, I'd doubt too many people would listen to the whole thing. And giving people the opportunity to listen is one of the main goals with this.

I don't think 4 hours would be too difficult to compile. But when the number of entries is as high as previous games, I think it would be tough to listen through them all before the votes are needed.

Although for me, the more the merrier. I get to hear more new music through these games than I've heard on fm radio in the last few years. Even if I don't finish listening in time to vote, it's still there when I can finally get around to it.

But I think having people listen to the entire set, then voting, would be the goal :wink:

Yeah, after re-assembling my Desert Island playlist, 160 minutes is the way to go.

4 hour playlists for 8 people is one thing, not for 16 people. That would be crazy.

Okay so pretty much old rules...coolio...thanks for the clarification!

Well, looks like our consensus on 160 minutes has returned. Shame about that, as I really wanted 240. I've got a killer concept playlist that's exactly 240:00. I can probably edit it down to 160 without too much fuss. It's just that I'll probably commit votercide (to steal hardyharhar's term) and lose all the "popular" songs, leaving me with an obscure tracklist full of great songs nobody knows and most voters probably won't download. Oh well. It's the quality, not the result, that counts.

notAxver said:
I wonder if anyone will listen to my seven track beast ... :(

I'm cranking it right now. :wink:

hardyharhar said:

I'll be getting to it. Listening to Osiris right now, working through your alter ego. :wink:

Osiris really deserved much more recognition than they got. They're quite the unique band, as they hail from Bahrain. They were Bahrain's first prog band, and possibly their first rock band full stop. All their guitars, keyboards, mellotrons and whatnot had to be imported because you simply couldn't get that stuff in Bahrain in 1982. And I think that despite all the odds and all the obstacles, they did an astounding job of creating quality seventies-esque prog without it sounding stale, unoriginal, or stuck in the past.

And notAxver, who's against post-whoring and all that nasty stuff, wants you to know that you'll probably enjoy Transatlantic's All Of The Above from the "seven track beast". It's very much seventies prog in style, 2000s prog in execution.

Axver said:
Well, looks like our consensus on 160 minutes has returned. Shame about that, as I really wanted 240. I've got a killer concept playlist that's exactly 240:00. I can probably edit it down to 160 without too much fuss. It's just that I'll probably commit votercide (to steal hardyharhar's term) and lose all the "popular" songs, leaving me with an obscure tracklist full of great songs nobody knows and most voters probably won't download. Oh well. It's the quality, not the result, that counts.

I'm cranking it right now. :wink:

I say take the hard way. There's nothing like going out in a blaze of glory.

hardyharhar said:
I say take the hard way. There's nothing like going out in a blaze of glory.

I'll take the hard way, but why go out in a blaze of glory when I can conquer and stay free? Yeah, you might get my reference there. :wink:

The concept of my next tracklist is based on part of Split Enz's Six Months In A Leaky Boat:

Aotearoa, rugged individual
Glistens like a pearl
At the bottom of the world

But I'll say no more.

Axver said:

Osiris really deserved much more recognition than they got. They're quite the unique band, as they hail from Bahrain. They were Bahrain's first prog band, and possibly their first rock band full stop. All their guitars, keyboards, mellotrons and whatnot had to be imported because you simply couldn't get that stuff in Bahrain in 1982. And I think that despite all the odds and all the obstacles, they did an astounding job of creating quality seventies-esque prog without it sounding stale, unoriginal, or stuck in the past.

And notAxver, who's against post-whoring and all that nasty stuff, wants you to know that you'll probably enjoy Transatlantic's All Of The Above from the "seven track beast". It's very much seventies prog in style, 2000s prog in execution.

Tell notAxver that I definitely have been enjoying those bands. And I like lots of different music as long as it has passion. But I really like powerful loud rock the most, and right now it seems like groups considered metal are the closest thing to this.
A lot is complete garbage, but a lot is also quite good
. I even like Dark Throne, Immortal, that ilk and Kalmah, Celtic Frost, Anthrax, early Metallica. A lot of the punk & punk influenced bands. I actually saw Opeth, who are on your list.They were good. And the Porcupine Tree I'm listening to right now are creating a bit of a mosh pit :rockon: So if you or anyone else has any suggestions......... :hmm:

Axver said:

I'll take the hard way, but why go out in a blaze of glory when I can conquer and stay free? Yeah, you might get my reference there. :wink:

The concept of my next tracklist is based on part of Split Enz's Six Months In A Leaky Boat:

Aotearoa, rugged individual
Glistens like a pearl
At the bottom of the world

But I'll say no more.

I'll tell you what I remember about this song, besides liking it. Of course, judging by my Pink Floyd memory, I could be completely wrong. :coocoo: When they were here on the Time & Tide tour, they played the Hollywood Palladium one night then University of Calif at Santa Barbara. The Palladium show was nuts, people climbing on stage, etc... a crazy Hollywood ballroom show. Then I go to UCSB the next day (or two?) to see them again and they play a beautiful auditorium with a hushed crowd. Not a peep in the house. They start the show with Six Months (isn't it an Eddie Raynor keyboard melodic part then aucoustic guitars leading into Six Months?) and when Neil and Tim start the aucoustic guitar part Tim looks at Neil and Eddie, with a "what a difference a day makes" smirk. A completely opposite evening. The sound was dead on. A great Split Enz show.

Last edited:
hardyharhar said:
Tell notAxver that I definitely have been enjoying those bands. And I like lots of different music as long as it has passion. But I really like powerful loud rock the most, and right now it seems like groups considered metal are the closest thing to this.
A lot is complete garbage, but a lot is also quite good
. I even like Dark Throne, Immortal, that ilk and Kalmah, Celtic Frost, Anthrax, early Metallica. A lot of the punk & punk influenced bands. I actually saw Opeth, who are on your list.They were good. And the Porcupine Tree I'm listening to right now are creating a bit of a mosh pit :rockon: So if you or anyone else has any suggestions......... :hmm:

When it comes to metal, I have never gone much for the traditional thrash/New Wave Of British Heavy Metal kind of stuff, e.g. Iron Maiden, Metallica, et al. I also hate this wave of metalcore that's popular at the moment. However, I am very fond of atmospheric, doom, and some types of death metal. I'm still kicking myself for not finding a way to see Opeth when they hit Australia last year.

I don't suppose you have ever listened to Cynic? Their bassist, Sean Malone (also of Gordian Knot, a great atmospheric prog band), is quite simply my favourite bassist ever. They only released one album, 1993's Focus, but it was absolutely groundbreaking. It was part of the Florida death metal scene that existed at the time (featuring other greats like Atheist and Death) and was one of the very earliest albums to merge death metal with elements of jazz fusion. It still sounds unique today.

And everyone should listen to Agalloch. Ever wondered what The Unforgettable Fire would have sounded like if it were a metal album? Just listen to anything by Agalloch and you'll know.

A few of the bands on my list have their roots in metal. The first album, for instance, by Dark Suns was in an Opeth vein, a progressive death metal album that alternated between clean and death vocals. The second album, which The Euphoric Sense is from, has only clean vocals and the prog element is more prominent. Spiral Architect are a pure tech metal outfit whose technical ability is just mindblowing. I've never heard anything quite as crazy as their only album, A Sceptic's Universe (except perhaps for anything featuring Ron Jarzombek, e.g. Watchtower and Spastic Ink).

Porcupine Tree really is my band of the moment. Their earlier stuff is very Pink Floyd-esque (if you love the Animals or WYWH albums, get The Sky Moves Sideways - now!), while their three most recent albums have revealed a strong metal influence, no doubt in part due to Steven Wilson's work producing for Opeth (he provides some of the vocals on Bleak, from Blackwater Park).

Now I'm the one going on for ages, so I'll shut up after this paragraph. That was a pretty cool Split Enz story! :up: Wish I could've seen them in their heyday, though seeing them on the reunion tour last year was special. I suspect the Six Months intro you're referring to is the song Pioneer. I saw the first gig of the tour in Brisbane, and when one of my relatives had to pull out and not attend, I dragged my flatmate. He somewhat liked a few songs before the gig and came out a huge fan of the band. His favourite song pre-gig was Six Months In A Leaky Boat, and when the band launched into Pioneer, I couldn't help but smirk because I knew he didn't have a clue that Leaky Boat was about to hit. When it did, the look on his face was priceless. That said, I feel the Finn Brothers performance of Leaky Boat that I saw in 2005 was even better - amazing extended solo by Neil at the end.

Almost done listening to Gibsongirl's and so far I love what I've heard. :up:

This is really cool, the only bands I had (some) knowledge of are Pink Floyd and Yes, mostly thanks to my dad's collection...but some of this stuff is making me really curious about Prog.

The flow of this playlist (Gibsongirl) is amazing :drool: most of the time I don't even notice the change from one song to another, and since most of them I'd never heard before, it's like this amazing experience...if the other playlists are as great, i'm going to have an incredibly hard time voting.

I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing...but I've had moments where I completely space out thanks to the music and forget where I am or what I'm supposed to be doing (ie. studying), it's kinda cool and kinda scary :lol:.

I'll listen to Axver's next, really looking forward to it :up:. However, I think I'll leave it for tomorrow or later tonight...I don't think my attention span can handle so much Prog at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom