croke park 24th setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BB Mac

War Child
tonights Setlist :

01. Vertigo
02. I Will Follow
03. The Cry / The Electric Co.
04. Elevation
05. New Year's Day
06. Beautiful Day/When The Rain Comes- Here Comes The Sun

07. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
08. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
09. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Miracle Drug
11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
12. Love And Peace Or Else
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Running To Stand Still
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. One
Rappel :
19. Zoo Station
20. The Fly
21. With Or Without You
22. All Because Of You

BB Mac

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:
You're missing. Yahweh and Vertigo. :)

Tonight's show had 24 songs, not the usual 23, which means tonight Vertigo was an extra song. :) :up:

24 songs is a lot for u2 standards so that;s fine with me

Vertigo
I Will Follow
The Electric Co.
Elevation
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still (extrait de Walk On)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One (bon bin finalement c'est encore un extrait de Rain)

Zoo Station
The Fly
With Or Without You

All Because Of You
Yahweh
Vertigo

Good setlist for the opening night in Dublin, now let's see some changes the 2nd and 3rd nights.

Any word if they're recording a DVD yet?

Hey, their hometown gets the same lame ass, uninteresting setlist we've been getting for the whole tour. With or Without You now appears to be a permanent addition (5 songs from the Joshua Tree is quite pathetic at this stage), and the novelty of playing Vertigo twice is now a redundant Fuck You to the people paying sky-high ticket prices. Rationalize it all you want, but this doesn't even come close to ending with Bad, 40, or Walk On from last tour for that matter.

Way to make the most of your vacation, guys.

If you think this was some "awesome" setlist, you're an apologist, plain and simple.

I'm sure they will change something for the next two shows, but why not make all 3 special? Why dish out the streamlined, generic setlist to this truly devoted crowd?

What began as a really awesome tour with old friends like An Cat Dubh, Running to Stand Still, The Ocean, and Electric Co. has now turned into U2's typical pre-programmed musical theatre. They might be the best live band around, but I guess that's not hard when you can't be bothered to learn more than 26 songs.

laz

it's either this or "Why don't they play With Or Without You..it was #1?" U2...choose your critical poison...

I can honestly say....this setlist is fine with me. Yeah, the Vertigox2 thing seems a little odd at first, but it's better than nothing....which is what you get when you just stay at home.

lazarus said:
Hey, their hometown gets the same lame ass, uninteresting setlist we've been getting for the whole tour. With or Without You now appears to be a permanent addition (5 songs from the Joshua Tree is quite pathetic at this stage), and the novelty of playing Vertigo twice is now a redundant Fuck You to the people paying sky-high ticket prices. Rationalize it all you want, but this doesn't even come close to ending with Bad, 40, or Walk On from last tour for that matter.

If you think this was some "awesome" setlist, you're an apologist, plain and simple.

I'm sure they will change something for the next two shows, but why not make all 3 special? Why dish out the streamlined, generic setlist to this truly devoted crowd?

What began as a really awesome tour with old friends like An Cat Dubh, Running to Stand Still, The Ocean, and Electric Co. has now turned into U2's typical pre-programmed musical theatre. They might be the best live band around, but I guess that's not hard when you can't be bothered to learn more than 26 songs.

laz

agreed on all accounts.

but so long as they never play a pop or zooropa song, i think we'll all live at the end of the day. after all, every other album has had something played off of it.

which is total and complete ass bullshit.

I prefer this WOWY than old-lame-zero-feeling-except-when-a-girl's-on-stage MYSTERIOUS WAYS :madspit:

and I know the set list WILL change... NIGHT 3 might be the best of the whole tour... might

and remember... now we get WGRYWild Horses, Zoo Station, Electric Co, and since July 2 = CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE :drool:

lazarus said:

because god forbid someone have an opinion that differs from yours. shut up with that shit.

Well it's certainly not a unique setlist. That's all I'm saying. It may have been awesome on the final Boston show, but now this exact setlist has been done, what, 4 times already? You're going to have people who are like "U2 know what their best songs are, and they've fashioned the perfect setlist, which every city should hear at least once." This practice of using a Night #1 setlist is bullshit, especially for fan club members who had the inside track on tickets--those were only for first night shows. So because I'm a paying member of U2.com, I get to hear virtually the same songs at all three shows I'm going to wind up seeing? Ridiculous. Mix it up for every show, any show, not just the follow up shows in each city.

And if you are the type of U2 fan who NEEDS to rationalize every decision they make, like playing Vertigo to conclude the show not once in a while, but every night, you are a sad individual. Because no rational argument could be made for that being a better choice than 40, Bad, or a slew of other songs. Hell, I'd rather them conclude the show with A Man and a Woman! When you're charging an average of $5 a song for your concert, it's rather shitty to make people pay for the same song twice.

I'm all for people having a different opinion. But all I'm hearing is the Jonestown chant, "the crowd really gets into Vertigo the second time!" Yeah, like they wouldn't get into ANYTHING upbeat at that point.

laz

Well said Lazarus... It's fine that they end with Vertigo. The lights in relation to this up-tempo song does the trick. But then I don't understand why they play it at the start as well...

lazarus said:
So because I'm a paying member of U2.com, I get to hear virtually the same songs at all three shows I'm going to wind up seeing? Ridiculous.
laz

Then why are you going to three shows if you know you will get disapointed. Just go to one and sell your tickets to people who wont be disapointed. I think it's rather sad. Now they are touring and it's never enough for some people. I think it's sad that you are feeling bad, you should be lucky or go and see some other band.

I'll say this and then shut up because I haven't been at interference long enough, or a U2 fan big enough, to really make any judgements, and I realise this.

Personally to me, it didn't matter which songs they play. That's why I wasn't all that torn up at not going to more than one show. What matters to me is the emotions and the performance of the songs. You people say 'I pay $5 per song I want to hear different ones,' or 'the statistics on playing '40' is this...' who cares if it's a crappy rendition of the song? What does it matter if they play 20 songs or 50 songs if the show is crap and the performance isn't there? I think you definitely have to be there.

Manchester 1 was a boring show to me because it's all smoke and mirrors, and a big screen TV. And I knew this so I didn't waste my time going to more than one show. I just wanted to see them and see what all the fuss was about. Go to a small intimate venue and see a singer really perform to the audience and grab your soul. It doesn't need a LCD screen or a particular song to add to your 'I Heard This Song' collection, or lights camera action. It's the emotion of the singer that really matters. And that's all I'll say.

why do people continue to say that they're gonna change things up?
you people have been saying that for the last 15 shows; it ain't gonna happen.

and all of us sitting here bitching about vertigo twice, we might as well shut up because it's obviously gonna keep happening. I can see larry reading these posts and saying "well, if they hate vertigo twice so much, I've got 2 words for them...."

lazarus said:

laz

I have to agree with lazarus on this. Last night was far from being a vintage concert by any standards.

lazarus said:
And if you are the type of U2 fan who NEEDS to rationalize every decision they make, like playing Vertigo to conclude the show not once in a while, but every night, you are a sad individual. Because no rational argument could be made for that being a better choice than 40, Bad, or a slew of other songs. Hell, I'd rather them conclude the show with A Man and a Woman! When you're charging an average of $5 a song for your concert, it's rather shitty to make people pay for the same song twice.

I'm all for people having a different opinion. But all I'm hearing is the Jonestown chant, "the crowd really gets into Vertigo the second time!" Yeah, like they wouldn't get into ANYTHING upbeat at that point.

laz

Go get a life and complain and attack people about something more important.

So we're not allowed to criticize any of the band's choices, huh? And we're not allowed to question the judgement of people who bend over backwards trying to explain away any of them?

Sorry, but being a U2 fan doesn't mean never having to say you're sorry. I feel free to call a spade a spade. This whole bullshit about "be happy you have the opportunity to blah blah blah". It's tired. I'm thankful the band is still around. I think the new album is fantastic. And I'm glad they are playing these shows with so much energy. But I'm not going to sit back and pretend that they're not acting like a jukebox. It was okay for ZooTV or Popmart which needed to be more scripted. But there's no reason these overpaid, lazy "musicians" can't learn another handful of songs and rotate them. There's no reason to play 5 songs off the Joshua Tree to prove their past glory. It's fucking sad.

So you can be happy with whatever medicine mommy spoonfeeds you, but if I see room for improvement I'm going to voice my opinion. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way. It doesn't make us ungrateful.

laz

BB Mac said:
tonights Setlist :

02. I Will Follow
03. The Cry / The Electric Co.
06. Beautiful Day/When The Rain Comes- Here Comes The Sun
07. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
08. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
21. With Or Without You
22. All Because Of You

BB Mac

:drool:

lazarus said:
So you can be happy with whatever medicine mommy spoonfeeds you, but if I see room for improvement I'm going to voice my opinion. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way. It doesn't make us ungrateful.

laz
[/QUOTE

There's no need to be patronising, unfriendly, condescending and insulting.

If you're going to behave like that then you have very little understanding about how to talk to people.

And let's face it, it's not worth arguing about something you have no control over. This is similar to fanatical sports fans getting worked up about the managers decisions. It's not worth it, because you can't change it. Put all this energy and thought into something worthwhile.

lazarus said:
This whole bullshit about "be happy you have the opportunity to blah blah blah". It's tired.

It really is.
lazarus said:
I'm thankful the band is still around. I think the new album is fantastic. And I'm glad they are playing these shows with so much energy.

Absolutely. God Bless'em for it.

lazarus said:
But there's no reason these overpaid, lazy "musicians" can't learn another handful of songs and rotate them. There's no reason to play 5 songs off the Joshua Tree to prove their past glory. It's fucking sad.

could not have said it better. I love these guys with all my heart, but they have been KILLING me the last couple of years with this "best band in the world" high school mentality of "yeah, yeah, who's gonna take US on?"....and then you get band like fucking coldplay of all people saying "yeah, WE can do it..."
meanwhile, U2 can't EVER play ONE song from their back catalog without rehearsing it for MONTHS. there are so many examples of this when they have actually tried to do this and have failed miserably. what is the problem? it's always 3 or 4 chords anyways....just learn it. "crumbs"? people here have been salivating for this tune since show 1, and it's the easiest thing in the world to play....but they don't do it. meanwhile, bono declares "it's the most important tune we've written."
well, fuck me. maybe release as a single then, or at least play it live once.
I love them, I swear. but they are just dropping the ball on this tour. even bruce springsteen doesn't play "born to run" at every show.
frustrating...now go ahead and flame me.

I think the above criticism (that U2 should be playing songs from Zooropa and Pop) fails to account for the simple fact that those albums' songs do not jive with the messages of the Vertigo Tour (namely, (a) similarities between the current album and Boy, (b) the War theme consisting of LAPOE, SBS, BTBS, and RTSS, (c) the Africa theme consisting of PITNOL, Streets, and One, and (d) the ZooTV throwback theme consisting of Zoo Station and The Fly). Is there a song from Zooropa and Pop, besides possibly Zooropa (during the "ZooTV" section) and Please (during the "War" section), that fits the theme of this tour?

You know you're gonna get 6 to 7 songs off the new album. You know you're gonna get the staples (One, PITNOL, BTBS (because of The Edge's hendrixiam solo), Streets, SBS). You know you're gonna hear some Boy tunes (OOC, I Will Follow, Electric Co., ACD, The Ocean, and sometimes Gloria from October). You know you're gonna hear a few Joshua Tree songs (RTSS, WOWY, Still Haven't Found), a few AB songs (UTTEOW, Wild Horses, MW).

But what I don't understand is how songs like Numb, Lemon, Dirty Day, Gone, Discotheque, Miami, or Velvet Dress belong in the Vertigo tour theme. (I do think it's possible for U2 to use Lemon -- although its a song about Bono's mother -- instead of Zoo Station for ZooTV encore though.) I've not included Staring at the Sun because U2 will never play that song as a foursome again, and I hate the acoustic version. :wink: Anyways, the Zooropa and Pop albums are being neglected because those albums come from a different mentality and feel. I think it's also noteworthy to say that -- until U2 whipped out All I Want is You recently -- Rattle and Hum was being neglected, too. I also believe the reason for that is that R&H evokes a theme (American r&b) that does not jive well with the Vertigo themes.

Lastly, U2 has played, by my count, 32 different songs on this tour already. While I will admit that Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry are not excellent individual musicians, 32 songs seems to suggest that they are not lazy either...

Just my 2 pence...:wink:

lazarus said:

And if you are the type of U2 fan who NEEDS to rationalize every decision they make, like playing Vertigo to conclude the show not once in a while, but every night, you are a sad individual.

fuck you.

warn me mods, i don't care. i'm just sick of people telling me that the way i feel about the band is wrong. calling me a "sad individual" because i have an opinion that is different than yours only shows that you're extremely ignorant. i'm sorry that i don't bitch about everything U2 does. i actually like looking at the positive side of things. since when did that become a crime?

even though Salome and i have never really gotten along, i'm really starting to sympothize with why he stopped posting here. i don't even like reading these forums anymore because of all of you who feel the need to whine and moan about everything.

if i were a member of U2, i'd have a real sick feeling reading the majority of the threads here, knowing that their "diehards" have gotten so spoiled and rude.

Oh, so I'm talking about you? I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, Mikal. Are you actually saying that you are "the type of U2 fan that NEEDS to rationalize every decision they make"? Is that how you would describe yourself?

I'm not saying that you're the person defending them at every turn. But no matter what criticism is made, there is ALWAYS someone who comes up with a rationalization, however weak. And I know there are many non-posting fans who are so blinded by devotion they probably sit there and don't even respond because they just block it out, or make up an excuse in their heads evertime.

It reminds me of fundamentalists who just won't find any middle ground. It's not like I'm Henry Rollins who never has anything good to say about U2. I'm also not one of these people who hates everything after 1988, hates the last two albums, or whatever. I'm simply pointing out what appears to be laziness on the band's part and wondering why each city has to hear the same goddamned setlist. If you disagree, fine. But please try to come up with some kind of legitimate reasons, instead of getting all offended about my delivery. Get over it.

And MTEdge, you made a lot of good points. I understand that thematically Boy has a lot in common with this album and tour. I understand that songs relating to Africa are relevant. By your rationale, Crumbs From Your Table should be the most important new song! Where the fuck is it? The band records a drunk version for the album, and appear to be able to do it live (on the Bonus Disc that came with HTDAAB), so what is the problem?

Instead of this or any other songs that might fit the theme (like Silver and Gold), we hear one of the most overplayed songs in recent memory played TWICE for our ticket purchase. Why don't they play the iPod commercial on the video screens while they're at it? I still love the song but doing this novelty thing EVERY night is overkill. The rationalizations I've heard for this have been laughable.

take a step back and look at what you're defending here. All I'm interested in is hearing the band play their songs. And you apologists are in favor of...what, repetition? With or Without You staggering around like a excavated mummy on a nightly basis? Or just anything that U2's little hearts desire?

laz

lazarus said:
Oh, so I'm talking about you? I wasn't referring to anyone specifically, Mikal. Are you actually saying that you are "the type of U2 fan that NEEDS to rationalize every decision they make"? Is that how you would describe yourself?

I'm not saying that you're the person defending them at every turn. But no matter what criticism is made, there is ALWAYS someone who comes up with a rationalization, however weak. And I know there are many non-posting fans who are so blinded by devotion they probably sit there and don't even respond because they just block it out, or make up an excuse in their heads evertime.

It reminds me of fundamentalists who just won't find any middle ground. It's not like I'm Henry Rollins who never has anything good to say about U2. I'm also not one of these people who hates everything after 1988, hates the last two albums, or whatever. I'm simply pointing out what appears to be laziness on the band's part and wondering why each city has to hear the same goddamned setlist. If you disagree, fine. But please try to come up with some kind of legitimate reasons, instead of getting all offended about my delivery. Get over it.

And MTEdge, you made a lot of good points. I understand that thematically Boy has a lot in common with this album and tour. I understand that songs relating to Africa are relevant. By your rationale, Crumbs From Your Table should be the most important new song! Where the fuck is it? The band records a drunk version for the album, and appear to be able to do it live (on the Bonus Disc that came with HTDAAB), so what is the problem?

Instead of this or any other songs that might fit the theme (like Silver and Gold), we hear one of the most overplayed songs in recent memory played TWICE for our ticket purchase. Why don't they play the iPod commercial on the video screens while they're at it? I still love the song but doing this novelty thing EVERY night is overkill. The rationalizations I've heard for this have been laughable.

take a step back and look at what you're defending here. All I'm interested in is hearing the band play their songs. And you apologists are in favor of...what, repetition? With or Without You staggering around like a excavated mummy on a nightly basis? Or just anything that U2's little hearts desire?

laz

stop whining, you're not a real fan, vertigo is da best song ever if you don;t like it then don't go..:rockon:

of course I agree with everything you have said. I think this IS a very profound explanation about how you feel and frankly how I feel about it lately(unfortunately)..
you sometimes get killed here for stating your opnion because your oponion has been given too many times to some people(I can understand that in a way though). But there IS a reason for that..Nothing changes..Just like I said before: I love the intro of Numb during the zooropa days. "We can not play the same old songs to the same old crowd forever, they want new material, the old stuff has been repeated too many times"

Now where the hell did that attitude go..If they wo9uld play numb now thay could make an intor of "We play the old material everyone knows...EVERYONE EVERYONE...unos dos etc..

Damn I have a lifesavingcourse in 30 minutes...mouth to mouth mmmmmmmmmmm

I love you ALL!

:rockon:

lazarus said:
But please try to come up with some kind of legitimate reasons, instead of getting all offended about my delivery. Get over it.

You won't get a decent debate when you have a tone like yours though - which is inflammatory as I pointed out above. If you want a thought provoking debate then drop the attitude and maybe you'll get it.

lazarus said:
So we're not allowed to criticize any of the band's choices, huh? And we're not allowed to question the judgement of people who bend over backwards trying to explain away any of them?

Sorry, but being a U2 fan doesn't mean never having to say you're sorry. I feel free to call a spade a spade. This whole bullshit about "be happy you have the opportunity to blah blah blah". It's tired. I'm thankful the band is still around. I think the new album is fantastic. And I'm glad they are playing these shows with so much energy. But I'm not going to sit back and pretend that they're not acting like a jukebox. It was okay for ZooTV or Popmart which needed to be more scripted. But there's no reason these overpaid, lazy "musicians" can't learn another handful of songs and rotate them. There's no reason to play 5 songs off the Joshua Tree to prove their past glory. It's fucking sad.

laz

Of course you are allowed to express your opinion but you shouldn't belittle the opinions of others. Just look at this post of yours that I'm quoting. "So you can be happy with whatever medicine mommy spoonfeeds you." I've had some great discussions with people on this board about setlists and such. There is some good, healthy argument. But you were taking the fun out of it calling us apologists and such and such. u2 setlists are such insignificant things in the scheme of things to start attacking people.

peace

Back
Top Bottom