Could HTDAAB be the best U2 album ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FelipeVox said:
1. joshua tree
2. achtung baby
3. HTDAAB

trust me!

1. Under A Blood Red Sky
2. The Unforgettable Fire
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Hut Dab

Trust me!

I think it's funny to see people proclaim HTDAAB as the best U2 album ever while having only heard a tiny fraction of it.
I think "Dieman" nailed it on the head. Basing an album on a single only is getting carried away. Obviously its nice to get carried away mind u. That's why I'm reading everyone elses comments. For the record: Unforgettable Fire is hugely underrated and definitely better than ATYCLB (which is a tad boring)

My top 3:
1. Achtung baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Unforgetable Fire

Personally I like the greater subtlety post War. Obviously a more edge than ATYCLB would also be a good thing.

Those critics who have heard an unmastered version of the album are pitching it among the best work they have done. In the latest issue of Q Magazine, the band say they've waited 25 years to make this record and it could be their best. And Q themselves sum it up in a soundbite preview about next month's review, saying it's the band's most U2 sounding album since Joshua Tree, with similar epic themes and sounds and how massive globally selling it will be, jut like JT.

HowieB said:
I think it's funny to see people proclaim HTDAAB as the best U2 album ever while having only heard a tiny fraction of it.
I think "Dieman" nailed it on the head. Basing an album on a single only is getting carried away.

Actually this presumption was based on titles of songs on HTDAAB, and "Vertigo" was taken as a hint, so to speak, on how the album will sound.

I may not have heard the whole record but something tells me this album is going to be their greatest and possibly their last album. With touring and all slated for the end of the 2000's, it looks like by 2007 or so they will release a best of 2000's album and call it a great run of 30 years. Now as for the album HTDAAB, I didn't see this much hype for an album since achtung baby and we know how good that album is. Having heard three songs off the new album I have to agree that this album may be their best. Imagine combining the styles of War, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby in one album....I think we can see where I'm going. Sure the songs I heard were just snippets but thats all you really need. When I first heard a snippet of WOWY, I knew the song would be awesome. The same with the song One off the Hansa Outtakes, you knew that album was going to rock...So you can start at least speculating that this new album will be their best if not "the" best.

artdirector

it COULD be.
i HOPE it is.
i will forever ABOLISH my fantaticism if it is not..
i am SERIOUS!.
they MUST meet or exceed my expectations of them!:madspit:
bono also OWES me two dollars.

I'm a oracle and i when i look in the future i see that Htdaab is going to be the best selling record of U2 and quality wise also the best album ever, not only from U2, but best album EVER. And u2 will be greater than the Stones, Elvis and The Beatles.
Trust me, i'm a good oracle :happy:

Seriously though, if the album is better than JT or AB, you will have to consider it one of the greatest albums EVER by ANYONE. Looking at it from that context, it almost seems impossible, but i believe in the band's talent. Won't know until we hear the album though, of course.

and, in all seriousness as well, we won't *really* know if it's the best album of theirs ever or one of the best in rock history until several years at least. Time, distance, and history are essential and seperating the wheat from the chaff as far as music goes. i am very wary of anything that gets labeled "instant classic". Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm really not a big believer in the "time" part of the equation. As if ten years from now, we will all go "wow, that album was really great." If the album is indeed "their best", i think you will know it after 6 months to a year tops. If the intial reviews that come out are mostly five star reviews and proclaim that this is U2's best, the album will sell a ton.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
yeah i'd call how to dismantle an atomic bomb their greatest album ever except for one small detail... i haven't friggin heard it yet.

agreed.....this is MASSIVE overspeculation

if it is it is, if it isn't it isn't we'll have to wait to hear it

doesn't anyone remember what it was like on this forum about 4 years ago? Am I the only one who remembers all the pre-album hype for ATYCLB? Stories of record execs jumping up and down with excitement, quotes about it being there best work ever, basically everything that is happenning right now. The quality of that final album is a topic of constant debate and I won't get into that here. But I feel that what we got in the end was not what it had been hyped up to be. I am a bit more weary of these quotes (especially from Bono) now than I used to be.

This could be a GREAT Album (i.e. JT, AB) but chances are that when the dust settles, it will just be GOOD. I have hope, but I do not want to be dissapointed.

i personally feel this is gonna be a GREAT album. I dont think it's going to just be good, but i'm trying not to get too caught up in the hype. Right now i'm realistic and I have realistic hopes for this album. They do however happen to be very good. But, we shall see.

I hope to like it more than ATYCLB.

And what the devil is so great about Unforgettable Fire? I swear, it's 10 tracks with a an "ok" first single, a couple great songs and some above average filler tracks. It's nothing compared to even "Boy"!

ZigZag said:
And what the devil is so great about Unforgettable Fire?

The fact it's U2's best album. Even AB looks crap compared to it.

Unforgettable Fire is ovverated. Sure the songs are great, but it's got some of U2's weakest tracks, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky, and yes MLK, nothing special. Even EPIA is sorta weak. I'm sorry if you love this album, i do too, but it NO WAY U2's best albu, that's just stupid.

Lancemc said:
Unforgettable Fire is ovverated. Sure the songs are great, but it's got some of U2's weakest tracks, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky, and yes MLK, nothing special. Even EPIA is sorta weak. I'm sorry if you love this album, i do too, but it NO WAY U2's best albu, that's just stupid.

I have to agree, it's good, but it's not great. EPaA is unbearable. A lot of the album is just mood, pretty loosely constructed. To be honest, if they released another Unforgettable Fire, i would be pretty disappointed. It only had ten songs!!

If i hadn't heard the clips already, i would certainly be wary of speculation. However, Miracle Drug sounds freaking great, as does LPoE and ABOY. Put that next to kick-ass Vertigo and the fact that Q said that SYCMIOYO and One Step Closer are "stand-out" tracks and it's pretty hard not to think this is going to be something special.

Axver said:

The fact it's U2's best album. Even AB looks crap compared to it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Now THAT is massive speculation. Although I love UF, it doesn't compare to AB. Unlike AB, it has filler tracks.

djerdap said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Now THAT is massive speculation. Although I love UF, it doesn't compare to AB. Unlike AB, it has filler tracks.

i couldn't agree more...I don't know if you think AB is the'r BEST album, but I do, and comparing it to UF is just ludicrous (sp?) Maybe if UF had been an EP with Love Comes Tumbling and Tree Sunrises, it could have been even better.

hmmm, why the hell not..

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Pride
3. Three Sunrises
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Promanade
6. Love Comes Tumbling
7. Bad

evne though it's three songs shorter than UF is now, i think this would have been a stronger overall work.

I think UF is by faaaar their best album. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE AB's name so I now just call it "The Edge Album" or "AB" when I write it. I hope HTDAAB is greater than great. And better than the Edge album. :wink:

Elvis Presley and America is my third favourite U2 song of all time. I guess I'm one of the few that really understands it. It is a work of art that song, almost the equivalent of Bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom