Could HTDAAB be the best U2 album ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess when I hear "best" in that context I take the question to mean: "What U2 album has spoken to you in the most touching way". Not nessacarily what it techinically was or whether more musically inclined or whatnot--just whatever slapped me in the face and left a welt.

starsgoblue said:
BSP :heart: Pokine :heart: You guys had me worried for a minute....

I´m not gay at all !!!!!!! :no: :angry: :rant:

I´ve a beautiful girlfriend and I´m in love with her !!!!!!:yes: :heart:

Come on guys, a heart :heart: doesn´t mean you´re gay :banghead:

starsgoblue said:
I guess when I hear "best" in that context I take the question to mean: "What U2 album has spoken to you in the most touching way". Not nessacarily what it techinically was or whether more musically inclined or whatnot--just whatever slapped me in the face and left a welt.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. There's a lot of songs that I know are technically "better", but by no means I like them better.

ponkine said:

Whoever said you were gay?

ponkine said:

Whoa! Throttle back there Turbo. I never said you were gay. I was worried about you two fighting.... No need for the excessive smilie expression of your disgust at a comment you took and ran with.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

:ohmy: Whoa whoa whoa! Throttle back there Turbo. I never said you were gay. I was worried about you two fighting.... No need for the excessive smilie expression of your disgust at a comment you took and ran with.

Sometimes this forum really amuses me. It never even occured to me that there was anything gay going on.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Flaming Lips have better titles. Their new album will be called "At War with the Mystics" which blows the pants off all the competition. doesn't mean it will be a masterpiece album, though.

starsgoblue said:
He's a volatile little thing, isn't he? :rolleyes:

I think we have gone just a little off topic. Maybe I should give my own opinion on the topic. I have a hard time believing that any album will ever be better than Achtung Baby for me. I hope that the new album will great and I have feeling it will be my third favorite. All I know so far is I love Vertigo. But I will wait for the album to decide. If I do not spontaneously combust before then.

Sorry to everyone for wandering off topic. I don't even really know what happened. :shrug:

Like I've said before I really feel that this will thematically expand and pick up where AB left off. In the sense that the boundaries and intricatcies of love are explored, only this time in a more universal manner. I have already written alot of what my interpretation of Vertigo is in another thread....I won't bore you by retyping.

well i guess we should wait until weve actually um heard the album before we decide anything...shouldnt we?:eyebrow:
i dont really think i could say one of their albums was the best anyway. theres always one thats the best for you at certain times depending on the state of mind youre in i think.
i just cant wait to hear the album. maybe then i will have an opinion

u2bonogirl said:
well i guess we should wait until weve actually um heard the album before we decide anything...

I think we're all just BSing because we don't have anything else to do in our anticipation except discuss whatever interviews and whatnot we come across...Of course all will become clear soon enough.

starsgoblue said:
Sorry to everyone for wandering off topic. I don't even really know what happened. :shrug:

Ah, it doesn't matter. No one is paying any attention. I started it anyway, though ponkine definitely continued it with the random gay comment. :laugh:

starsgoblue said:

I think we're all just BSing because we don't have anything else to do in our anticipation except discuss whatever interviews and whatnot we come across...Of course all will become clear soon enough.
:D i know. i find my time best spent discussing the beauty of different parts of bono's body

I dont think ive ever been more excited about an album comnig out than this one. I love the tracklisting, every review has been great (even NME didnt have anything bad to say about it, thats a big deal). If its not their best (it'll be hard to top AB), Im still going to love it because every one of their albums is great to me.

It could be their best, but it could be the worst. I imagine for each person it will be different. I think to really know where it fits in people should give it a good six months or more of listening. When you have a long awaited album from a band you love there is a tendency to be really excited by having something new. Either that or you hate it.

I don't mean don't discuss it, or don't say you love it (or hate it, if that is how you feel), but rather six months or a year down the road post on this album again. I think it would be great if everyone who posts their "Is this U2's best album ever?" opinions (when it come out that is) would keep a copy of their own post. Then six months later all those people could post their current views on the album. It would be really interesting to see how, or even if, opinions changed.

I mention this because I had this type of situation fairly recently myself. I'm a huge fan of The Church, who released their most recent album a little less than 11 months ago. I got it right away, of course, and adored it right away. I didn't post on it until I'd had it a month, but I did discuss it with friends in chat. I loved it when I first got it, and I still love it now, but it is interesting to look back at what I wrote then and see how my feelings have changed (first post -- I loved it all; second post -- overall I still love it, but four of the 14 songs are good, but I could live without them).

It's also a lot of fun to see how it fits in with the band's other albums (14 without compilations) after several months (for me in my top four albums of their's, in case you are wondering).

Just a fun little exercise.

indra said:
I don't mean don't discuss it, or don't say you love it (or hate it, if that is how you feel), but rather six months or a year down the road post on this album again. I think it would be great if everyone who posts their "Is this U2's best album ever?" opinions (when it come out that is) would keep a copy of their own post. Then six months later all those people could post their current views on the album. It would be really interesting to see how, or even if, opinions changed.

[/B]

Great idea, I'm actually gonna do that!

This morning I just remembered how many producers have actually worked on this album, it's gotta ROCK!
But then again we'll see in 50 days or so.

AussieU2fanman said:
This will be U2's best album to date, and U2 will replace the Beatles as the best Rock and Roll band in history.

Coming from an AussieU2fanman who was so negative about the title of this album this really is a surprise, I have to say I'm glad you changed your mind! :wink:

I think HTDAAB will be the BEST record that U2 has created because it will be the result of everything else that they have done before. It will be the cumulation of 25 years of hard work. :up:

Bono has said as much when he said that this record took them 25 years to make. I think he was simply saying that all their previous experiences, in music and in their personal lives, are encapsulated in this record for them.

So, I will simply ENJOY AND TREASURE HTDAAB when it comes out, as I have done with every U2 record that has come out in my 23 years following this group.

I will not judge HTDAAB or compare it to other U2 albums - each is special in their own way and represents a certain moment in time in the history of U2. :wink:

I have come to simply love, appreciate and respect U2 for who they are - instead of always trying to get them to fit into my idea of who I think they should be!

I encourage us all here to do the same.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:hug:

Jamila said:
Bono has said as much when he said that this record took them 25 years to make. I think he was simply saying that all their previous experiences, in music and in their personal lives, are encapsulated in this record for them.

Yes, yes, and yes. This album is going to be a convergence of everything they have done and have wanted to do.

vivaSA said:

Coming from an AussieU2fanman who was so negative about the title of this album this really is a surprise, I have to say I'm glad you changed your mind! :wink:

I like the title! But many people will see this album as too political and turn away from U2 after getting tired of their same old message. But, I think that Bono mentioned that the title was actually named after his dad dying, but I don't think people will see that message. I really don't care what anyone else thinks anymore, so disregard anything I just said.
Anyway, it's not about the damn title, it's about the music, and this will, I believe, be their best work yet. Vertigo was an excellent start.

see,
I think Yahweh and Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own are tacky song titles

:shrug:

especially the latter which feels very cliche

but I don't care TOO much about song titles as long as the songs are good and the lyrics don't make me wince!

I think it's funny to see people proclaim HTDAAB as the best U2 album ever while having only heard a tiny fraction of it.

Like indra said, it may be their best, it may be their worst. I, for one, am going to wait until I actually get my hands on a copy and listen to it a few times before weighing in.

Jamila said:

I have come to simply love, appreciate and respect U2 for who they are - instead of always trying to get them to fit into my idea of who I think they should be!

I encourage us all here to do the same.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:hug:

:up:

I think like any other U2 record, some will love it and some will feel that they've lost it. Personally, I doubt it'll be as good as AB, I just can't see it. But I have a good vibe about it, I think it will be a great record. I think I'll take more away from it than I did ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom