CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solar

Acrobat
I AM SHOCKED!!!!!!! According to Vanity fair article, U2 are considering CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP for the next tour!!! I can´t understand this, after 25 years they are going to this???:no: :no: I was allways proud at the fact that U2 never sold out like so many other bands. They don´t need this right now, this can only ruin their credibility!!!! :|

Kinda not a cool thing .. though just cause they're considering it doesn't mean it's gonna happen. ANd also if they do go with it just to be able to afford all the crazy hi-tech stuff they want to do, hopefully it won't have any effect on the show itself. just the tickets.. and we can pretend. either that or they choose something really hilarious to sponsor them.. like, i dunno... dog food?

They did the POPMART tour without corporate sponsorship and if that wasn´t hi-tech, what is????

SkeeK said:
Kinda not a cool thing .. though just cause they're considering it doesn't mean it's gonna happen. ANd also if they do go with it just to be able to afford all the crazy hi-tech stuff they want to do, hopefully it won't have any effect on the show itself. just the tickets.. and we can pretend. either that or they choose something really hilarious to sponsor them.. like, i dunno... dog food?

I don't see a problem, there will just be a one mile poster behind Larry for Purina Dog Chow. :wink:

Maybe Bono can dedicate some songs to the dog chow company, like when he kicks into Bad he could say "Every city has it's good dogs and it's bad dogs, but with Purina Dog Chow all dogs are good" then Edge kicks in with the riff. :wink:

Last edited:
I have some misgivings....if this is true then there must be some good reason as to why they are considering this. I'd need to hear why before I can ascertain whether this is good or bad....I am a bit curious as to why, at this time in thier careers, they would do this. :huh:

so they can afford to go off-the-wall crazy technologywise, and play every corner of the world, while still earning money. Cause really, why would they tour, and leave their families for 2 years, if they don't make money? actually the article stated that it would be an information-technology company if anything. I'm thinking Cisco systems. they've helped with something related to Jubilee 2000 i think, but i can't remember what.

That'd be cool with me...I'm all for going crazy technology wise---I'm sure Edge is drooling at the thought :wink:

I just would hate to be distracted by a huge freakin' Coca-cola sign or something similar but I don't think I need to worry too much about that.

If they did it right with a company like Guinness beer then nobody would care because that product is perceived as cool and delicious, but if you got a big poster of WALMART behind them then that just sucks. It's all about perception in my opinion, in other words i've never had a problem with sponsorship and I never understood why Neil Young blew a big stink about it. Of course if that company tells you what songs you can play or what you can and cannot say then screw the company but if the company is something U2 likes then what's the big deal.

Last edited:
Well if they haven't done that before on the last 25 years than they probably have a very good reason on CONSIDERING doing so. I trust U2 to take the right decisions.

EvolutionMonkey said:

I don't see a problem, there will just be a one mile poster behind Larry for Purina Dog Chow. :wink:

Maybe Bono can dedicate some songs to the dog chow company, like when he kicks into Bad he could say "Every city has it's good dogs and it's bad dogs, but with Purina Dog Chow all dogs are good" then Edge kicks in with the riff. :wink:

:laugh: :laugh:

If they do decide to go with corp. sponsership, I think they will make a wise choice.

I have one word. Apple. It would make sense given their partnership with Itunes and it would enable heavy hitters to be able to run the computer show. Knowing U2, they will probably minimize the Apple logo, but will give Apple the bragging rights that they supported such a great tour.
I never understood the Corporate Sponsorship canard anyway. U2 has always maintained their creative control. The sick part comes in if Bono holds up a G4 and hawks it in a commercial (Britney Spears anyone?). It's not like U2 haven't worked with companies before, but they are very savvy about the working relationship.
Nothing to worry about folks. U2 have always used everyone else to their advantage, not the other way around.

starsforu2 said:
I have one word. Apple. It would make sense given their partnership with Itunes and it would enable heavy hitters to be able to run the computer show. Knowing U2, they will probably minimize the Apple logo, but will give Apple the bragging rights that they supported such a great tour.
I never understood the Corporate Sponsorship canard anyway. U2 has always maintained their creative control. The sick part comes in if Bono holds up a G4 and hawks it in a commercial (Britney Spears anyone?). It's not like U2 haven't worked with companies before, but they are very savvy about the working relationship.
Nothing to worry about folks. U2 have always used everyone else to their advantage, not the other way around.

Apple is a good idea. :yes:

EvolutionMonkey said:

Oh, the improvised lyrics bouncing around in my head right now....:laugh:

Didn't VH1 sponsor the North American dates of the Elevation Tour? Their name is on my ticket stubs, anyway.

ThatGuy said:
Didn't VH1 sponsor the North American dates of the Elevation Tour? Their name is on my ticket stubs, anyway.

You're right ThatGuy, both US legs of the Elevation tour were presented by VH1 (part of MTV Networks) so it's not like they haven't gotten some kind of corporate sponsorship before. Considering how expensive a tour is to run, not very surprising at all.

"If that's what it takes to have them in my country or having a kick ass tour than I don't really give a fuck. But I don't think they will get corporate sponsorship."

I completely agree with that. Not a great thing, but if it makes tickets cheaper, or allows for super - amazing kickass shows, go for it.

Well, as long as it's not like
Tampax presents U2 in Concert.

However, Apple I would be okay with. They have this aura of being a friendly, trendy, nifty company. Plus if Bono calls out during the show and orders iPods for the entire audience, I won't mind either :wink:

kennerado said:
Pfff, that's what the whiney part of the fan base said after the end of the first era (Blood Red Sky), and what they said at the end of the second era (entering Achtung baby). If it takes more cash to put on a fantastic show, whatever, do it.

i think, before some people lose their heads, we all need to take a step back and remember that this is just a rumor.

kennerado said:

I find a statement like this to be really sad. If they did have sponsorship this tour, don't you think that a band opinionated as U2 is would have a damn good reasoning behind it. And why would this make them sellouts? Why do some people have the idea that one cannot be successful and have integrity at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom