[CONFIRMED] U2 to perform Get On Your Boots at the Brit Awards!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some thoughts on the performance:

1. Edge's guitar needs more volume
2. Love the intro and graphics. ZooTV meets Popmart :drool:
3. Bono's vocals at the Grammys were better, but the bridge was better here
4. What the hell was with "devil Bono" ?

I think the main problem is that the song seems a bit flat and listless from these performances - maybe due to the lack of "fullness" in the backing vocals of the chorus. They really need more voices in there. Same with the "let me in the sound" part... seems weak.

I hope they rework the arrangement for the next performance.

as its been said before for some reason the youtube video sounds amazing in comparison to the live tv performance. also because of the youtube quality you cant really see the boring people in the tables walkin about and talking to each other during the long shots but just the crowd in the pit going nuts instead near the end.

I really enjoyed The Brits performance, but I hope they re-work the video in the background. It seems like a confusion of different ideas, which makes it look messy and amateurish to me.

Well that was a dandy performance. :up:

Obviously still a few kinks to work out, though some of them are just technical (mix, etc). I think the reason a lot of us had mixed reactions with actually both of the performaces of Boots is that they seem to be changing a lot of the parts of the song. Most of us have listened to Boots about a million times already, and so hearing them alter a lot of the pieces is a bit jarring. I do also think they need to get the backing vocals up front -- the chorus needs needs needs that amazing fullness you hear on the album.

I liked the Grammy performance far more. Bono really got into that. The only thing I felt was improved tonight was the "let me in the sound" bit.

I just noticed why Larry stands up during let me in the sound part.... he SINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now we just need to get Adam to sing again!

Just me, or on 2nd performance, does the intro bassline w/ "let me in the sound" sound a little like the bassline for Out of Control?

Well that was a dandy performance. :up:

Obviously still a few kinks to work out, though some of them are just technical (mix, etc). I think the reason a lot of us had mixed reactions with actually both of the performaces of Boots is that they seem to be changing a lot of the parts of the song. Most of us have listened to Boots about a million times already, and so hearing them alter a lot of the pieces is a bit jarring. I do also think they need to get the backing vocals up front -- the chorus needs needs needs that amazing fullness you hear on the album.

You're exactly right about the backing vocals. It does need that extra fullness. :D That's probably what threw me off a little bit.

Any info about the charity performance after the Brits? Apparently, Bono performed with Coldplay and the Killers. I hope Chris Martin is ok.

Any info about the charity performance after the Brits? Apparently, Bono performed with Coldplay and the Killers. I hope Chris Martin is ok.

Killers, Coldplay, U2, Take That team-up for post BRITs gig | News | NME.COM

Bands play intimate show for War Child in London

Feb 19, 2009
0 Comments
Coldplay news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add Coldplay to MyNME
Coldplay and The Killers - joined by special guests from U2 and Take That - played a rare joint gig in London tonight (February 18).

With all the acts rushing across from the nearby BRIT Award ceremony to play the intimate charity show in aid of War Child - and also marked the launch of newly re christened O2 Shepherds Bush Empire - the gig kicked off well after 11pm (GMT) with The Killers taking to the stage first.

However while both groups played curtailed sets in order to beat the curfew, they compensated by recruiting their specials guests for a joint encore together at the end of the show.

Firstly Coldplay played 'Back For Good' with Take That's Gary Barlow, with Chris Martin declaring the collaboration would cheer him up after not winning at the BRITs earlier.

"I think everyone agrees that the band to see at the moment is Take That," he declared. "We've just got back from Japan, lost all the BRITs, it's been a shit day frankly, but it's going to get better, please welcome Mr Gary Barlow!"

Then having only rehearsed minutes beforehand backstage The Killers and Bono joined Coldplay onstage to perform 'All These Things That I've Done' together, with all three frontmen sharing vocals.

Earlier Coldplay had performed their own set, kicking off with instrumental 'Life In Technicolor' and 'Violet Hill', changing the lyrics of the latter to reference Shepherds Bush and The Killers to the crowd's delight.

'In My Place' then triggered a loud sing-a-long as Martin encouraged the crowd to scream along with him, while later on Martin asked for the lights to be turned on so he could address the crowd.

"Should we play this one or is it a bit commercial?" joked the singer before 'Yellow'.

With the track receiving a loud sing-a-long, Martin stopped them just before the end to tell them that 'X-Factor' judge Louis Walsh was in the audience.

"You're our favourite judge so I'm sure we'll all do a good version of 'Yellow'," he confidently declared.

The band then wrapped up their set up with 'Fix You and 'Viva La Vida' in advance of their collaborative climax.

Coldplay played:

'Life In Technicolor'
'Violet Hill'
'Clocks'
'In My Place'
'42'
'Yellow'
'Lost'
'Fix You'
'Viva La Vida'
'Back For Good' (with Gary Barlow)
'All These Things That I've Done' (with The Killers and Bono)

Before them Brandon Flowers and co had kicked the night off performing songs from across their career including the likes of 'Spaceman', 'For Reasons Unknown' and 'Somebody Told Me'.

The Las Vegas band also paid tribute to their co-headliners Coldplay and the evening's charity.

"Thank you for having us, we're so honoured to be part of this, War Child has done so many wonderful things," Flowers told the crowd. "It's great to be partnered with Coldplay. I remember when I first saw the video for 'Yellow' they were a real inspiration it made me think we had a real chance, so we're honoured to be here with them."

The Killers played:

'Spaceman'
'Somebody Told Me'
'This Is Your Life'
'Human'
'For Reasons Unknown'
'Read My Mind'
'Mr Brightside'
'When You Were Young'

While the stage was completely refitted by a team of busy roadies for Coldplay, comedian Al Murray: Pub Landlord also entertained the crowd with a surprise stand-up routine that included a sing-a-long to Queen's songs

Back
Top Bottom