Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think it's about his daughter. it's about Gweneth at the time she lost her father.

plainspoken lyrics can be very powerful, i concede that point. but when every song contains such vague feelings and pedestrian phrases, it's hard to connect to emotionally.

maybe i am just used to more esoteric lyricists - e.g. jeff tweedy, stephen malkmus. i also read a lot of poetry/literature, so that has an influence.

i still think the song is cheesy though.

purpleblackeye said:
i don't think it's about his daughter. it's about Gweneth at the time she lost her father.

plainspoken lyrics can be very powerful, i concede that point. but when every song contains such vague feelings and pedestrian phrases, it's hard to connect to emotionally.

maybe i am just used to more esoteric lyricists - e.g. jeff tweedy, stephen malkmus. i also read a lot of poetry/literature, so that has an influence.

i still think the song is cheesy though.

Yeah, I have heard both Gwyneth and Apple. I hope it is about Apple because it seems kind of condescending if it is towards a women, it seems to be about life lessons.

BTW, I love Jeff Tweedy. Wasn't too hard to guess that you did too based on the name. :wink:

bsp77 said:

BTW, I love Jeff Tweedy. Wasn't too hard to guess that you did too based on the name. :wink:

I envied that user name right away. I wish I had a Tweedy user name, like bibleblackpredawn or shinyshinypants or crackeddoormoon (the possibilities are endless) but it's too late now. :scream:

Anyway, I wish I hadn't seen those Fix You lyrics laid out on the page like that...kinda ruined it for me, lol.

joyfulgirl said:

I envied that user name right away. I wish I had a Tweedy user name, like bibleblackpredawn or shinyshinypants or crackeddoormoon (the possibilities are endless) but it's too late now. :scream:

Anyway, I wish I hadn't seen those Fix You lyrics laid out on the page like that...kinda ruined it for me, lol.

I am an American Aquarium drinker. I Assassin down the Avenue. :drool:

Gotta love that alliteration. Let's turn this into a Wilco thread. :wink:

melon said:
[BThey do mainstream music pretty well
Melon [/B]

exactly, which is not a bad thing; but they're not "the best band in the world", not do they deserve the lavish praise they're getting.

I listened to the album a couple of times and I gotta say I'm disappointed. I'm a fan of their first two albums, but with this one I feel like they went and made their sound bigger and all awash in prettiness and grandeur but forgot to make a similar leap in actual songwriting. It's not a bad album as such, just very uninspired, with very repetitive arrangements and lyrics that are primitive and awkward rather than simple and effective. Not that lyrics were ever Chris Martin's strong point, but with killer songs like "Clocks" or "Shiver" it didn't really matter, but here even his still-gorgeous voice doesn't help matters.

I agree, I definitely think they put the cart before the horse on this one. Everything sounds bigger and more epic, but the songs just aren't good enough.

Square One and the early leaked version of Talk are the only two songs from this album I can see myself listening to six months from now.

1) COLDPLAY is the most boring band of the universe.
2) COLDPLAY sucks.
3) Overhyped and overrated.
4) As it seems, they always play the same song forever.
5) But its nice background music for the supermarkets.

Well, I just listened to X&Y for the second time. And while I didn't see God, or Jesus, walk into the room, I think I spotted a few saints this time around!

I like "Talk" a LOT. "Fix You" is very sweet and heartfelt. And I noticed the album is dedicated to "BWP"--Bruce W. Paltrow? If so, that's a nice gesture from his son-in-law.

I still prefer the energy of the new Oasis album. And the songs seem to blend into each other too much on "X&Y," especially after "Speed of Sound." I like "A Rush of Blood to the Head" more. But this album might be a grower...

I totally agree about Talk and fix you. And I also agree about after Speed of Sound. Before that song, the other songs are distinctive and really good. After that song they kind of have the same tone, and rhythm etc. I like the album overall though. I'd say parachutes and AROBTTH are better though. Ill have to give this one some time though, before Im definitive.

jesus christ - all you people commenting in this thread without even listening to the album properly just because you don't like Coldplay, sod off. I respect your view if you do not like them but the number of threads/posts just saying 'Coldplay suck' is just pointless and childish. Go do something better with your time, like searching eBay for Thom Yorke's hair.

that said.....

I've had the album in the player for about a week now, Talk has re-grown on me, lyrically its far superior to the leaked version and the tune itself is now growing on me to. Whilst the first 3 songs are certainly good, none of them really strike me. Fix You, I personally can't stand to listen all the way through of, it's just not my thing.
X&Y seems quite bland so far, as do Swallowed In The Sea and The Hardest Part, although the latter of these seems to have most potential for growth. Speed of Sound is still sing-along-to-able, but I think it will go the same way, in my mind, as In My Place, which I can't listen to any more.
My favourite songs so far would be A Message, Low and 'Til Kingdom Come, although I have doubts about a message.

Over-all, the album has disappointed me so far. There are a few good songs on there and a couple of them with make my Coldplay compilation CD, replacing stuff like Yellow and In My Place which are far too overplayed.

There seem no stunners like Clocks or Amsterdam, I'm hoping for a slow grower like Green Eyes and Warning Sign were for me, although the quality is dissapointing compared to AROBTTH. This is more of a pity as, a while ago, I was led to believe that the album may follow the path of such b-sides as Crests Of Waves and 1.36.

Two main problems as I see it. Whereas AROBTTH seemed focused essentially towards musical content, X&Y appears to have its songs based on it's lyrics. Whilst this, alone, is no bad thing, Martin's over-ambitious lyrics and cliche-ridden songs mean that the music is oft forgotten, or at least a secondary part of each songs.

For me, it is probably the best album of the year but that isn't saying it's that much, I've had quite a dissapointing year so far, hopefully Muse's new material may surface before the year is through.

Oh yeah, I don't like synths either.

The OOTS said:
Coldplay will rule the world.

No, Keane will rule the world...

Coldplay are a very very good band, but they're not at the level of U2, or even Oasis, not to mention Radiohead....
There are many bands far better than Coldplay

I just found this thread...I need to do more looking on Interference than the basic "Vertigo Tour" threads..

I really dig X&Y. Musically, it's a more complex album...although, they haven't grown by leaps and bounds like some want them to. They have the anthems, and now they've thrown in some more complex beats and melodies (i.e. Talk, White Shadows) to become...well...epic in a sense.

The two flaws of the album are in order:

1) Lyrics. The melodies make up for it, and Martin has never been a great lyricist. I just didn't find much substance in the majority of songs. Either way, it's only their third (major label) album, so I think he should mature more as a writer, and we might see more.

2)"Fix You". It's not that I dislike this song. But to paraphrase various professional reviews and the band themselves, this was supposed to be the BIG song to catapult them. I'm just not feeling it.

"This is (Coldplay's) With or Without You"

"The entire record revolves around this song"

"This is the most brilliant bloody thing we've ever written".

I was gearing up for an earth-shattering tune, and it's just a good song.

However, the two biggest surprises of the album were:

1) "What If". I love this song. Easily the pinnacle of this album, and actually does better as a focal point for the entire record. For a moment of introspection in any relationship, this song is key.

2) Pacing of the album. Although I would have loved something with more "teeth" (i.e. Politik), the more up-tempo sounds of X&Y mark a change of pace from the piano-based harmonies "Parachutes" and "AROBTTH" provided. The reason could probably be pointed to a noticable guitar-oriented record, and the work by Buckland really shines through.

I really think these guys could be big...I would say for everyone (including myself) to wait for their "Achtung Baby", or major experimental album. The quality of that (or if it will even come about) will tell us more about the future of Coldplay.

Its a great album and on constant play on my car cd. One thing I will have to say that lets the album down just a touch is that Coldplay are crap at intros to songs. They seem to start the songs a bit all the same and lack the imagination to find great intros. This is one thing that sets U2 apart, if you listen to Achtung Baby it has the best intros you will ever hear. Even the weaker HTDAAB has some great intros. Coldplay need to show a bit more imagination on intros to their songs, other than that X and Y is a great album, full of great atmospheric songs and swirling keyboards, its definetly their best album to date. Fix you is magnificent by the way despite all the flak about the lyrics.

Stewie will rule the world, plain and simple, after he kills Lois

and all of our deaths will be quick and painless:wink:

intedomine said:
Better bands than Coldplay:

U2
Live
Beatles
Stone Roses
REM

Only U2 of that list have released better albums than Coldplays latest. The Beatles bore the shit out of me, REM's better days were in the mid 90's and the Stone Roses sucked big time!

Yeah, X&Y is miles ahead of Sargeant Pepper's, Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and The White album. Coldplay are the true masters of songwriting and innovation.

Lancemc said:
Yeah, X&Y is miles ahead of Sargeant Pepper's, Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, and The White album. Coldplay are the true masters of songwriting and innovation.

Glad you agree....cheers m8!

The Beatles had 2 of the greatest songwriters in history but I am not a big fan of their music and George Harrison was a nobhead about what he said about U2 in 1997!:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom