CN Tower, Toronto, ON, CA Superthread (like a penis stabbing the heavens, m'boys!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, ok, that's what I was saying. The MLB is in the middle of the season, so none of the teams are giving up any of their players to go play in the Olympics, since, the Olympics, for baseball, don't really matter. Therefore, I haven't heard of any of the players on the U.S. Olympic team.

It's so sad, three people? My god. The only way you'd know about it is if they drove past.

So yeah, probably the best thing ever to happen in Hamilton.

:lol:

I love Hamilton's desperate attempts to promote itself as some forward-thinking city of the future ... and just how badly it's failing. They should have embraced Boobs on Bikes! (Pun intended.)

You know, looking at what team sports are in the Olympics, I really can't understand why handball, volleyball, and hockey are there while rugby 7s isn't. I can understand why cricket isn't, though, given that a sufficiently short form of the game didn't exist until very recently.

Also, although I support the cut of baseball from the Olympics effective as of the London Games (not because I dislike the sport, but because of the point you guys have made about the best players not giving a shit), I question the cut of softball. Given softball's much lower profile compared to baseball, surely an Olympic gold means a hell of a lot?

I agree with softball, there is absolutely no reason to cut it. I'm not exactly excited about the cutting of baseball tbh, simply because it seems like another point in the direction of baseball as a dying sport :(. However, the cut makes sense, softball doesn't, I gotta think making it to the Olympics with softball is as high as it goes

Eh, call me when Aussie Rules becomes an Olympic sport. I'll keep a phone in my cryogenic freezing capsule.

It should be, though. There's a united Israeli/Palestinian team dammit! We're saving the world!

Eh, call me when Aussie Rules becomes an Olympic sport. I'll keep a phone in my cryogenic freezing capsule.

It should be, though. There's a united Israeli/Palestinian team dammit! We're uniting the world!

Can't wait for the Australia vs Nauru gold medal match.

Nauru: 1.4.10
Australia: 100.3.603

I agree with softball, there is absolutely no reason to cut it. I'm not exactly excited about the cutting of baseball tbh, simply because it seems like another point in the direction of baseball as a dying sport :(. However, the cut makes sense, softball doesn't, I gotta think making it to the Olympics with softball is as high as it goes

I don't read the cut of baseball that way; more I just see it as an acknowledgement that the best of the best in baseball can't be bothered with it at an Olympic level, and it doesn't have the global popularity of soccer to sustain it without its highest stars (and that would be true of just about any other sport; soccer's pretty exceptional in that case).

What I do find to be a bit bullshit is that they've tried to justify the cut of baseball and softball by pointing out their inclusion leads to the construction of temporary venues that get torn down after the Games, since there's no demand in London for baseball/softball venues. Well, sure, that may be true, but just about any Games in any city is going to be hosting some event for which there would normally be no demand for a relevant venue. It's just part and parcel of hosting the Games!

I don't read the cut of baseball that way; more I just see it as an acknowledgement that the best of the best in baseball can't be bothered with it at an Olympic level, and it doesn't have the global popularity of soccer to sustain it without its highest stars (and that would be true of just about any other sport; soccer's pretty exceptional in that case).

What I do find to be a bit bullshit is that they've tried to justify the cut of baseball and softball by pointing out their inclusion leads to the construction of temporary venues that get torn down after the Games, since there's no demand in London for baseball/softball venues. Well, sure, that may be true, but just about any Games in any city is going to be hosting some event for which there would normally be no demand for a relevant venue. It's just part and parcel of hosting the Games!

It really can't be denied though that baseball popularity is flagging, sad as that may make me to admit.

And I call bullshit on that one. My reasoning? Two words: Water Cube

Can't wait for the Australia vs Nauru gold medal match.

Nauru: 1.4.10
Australia: 100.3.603

:lol: We probably would have taken all their best players by then, too. But I wouldn't underestimate them, apparently they play on really rocky fields so they must be tough as to be able to cop a tackle on there.

It really can't be denied though that baseball popularity is flagging, sad as that may make me to admit.

I can't say I'm exactly familiar with its level of popularity over time. :wink:

Hah, yeah. But nobody's ever going to suggest cutting aquatics over that logic, oh no.

:lol: We probably would have taken all their best players by then, too. But I wouldn't underestimate them, apparently they play on really rocky fields so they must be tough as to be able to cop a tackle on there.

Oh yeah, that's right! This is the venue the crazy Nauruan bastards use: Linkbelt Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no grass growing in the stadium; the playing surface is comprised completely of phosphate dust and dirt. The motto of the NAFA is "the hard men of football."

:ohmy:

I can't say I'm exactly familiar with its level of popularity over time. :wink:

Hah, yeah. But nobody's ever going to suggest cutting aquatics over that logic, oh no.

I'm just saying that James Earl Jones beautiful monologue in Field of Dreams regarding the longevity and wonder of baseball would no longer hold up, and it's only been about 15 years since that movie came out :sigh:

I so don't get the new gymnastics scoring system. Apparently 17 is the new 10. :huh:

Yep, see - we'd be caned. Just as we lose against the tough boys of Ireland, we're definitely too soft for some hardcore Pacific Islanders.

By the way, I love how so many international Aussie Rules leagues have team names like the "kangaroos" and "redbacks". Use your own critters, guys. :tsk:

wow.jpg

Yep, see - we'd be caned. Just as we lose against the tough boys of Ireland, we're definitely too soft for some hardcore Pacific Islanders.

By the way, I love how so many international Aussie Rules leagues have team names like the "kangaroos" and "redbacks". Use your own critters, guys. :tsk:

:lol:

At least New Zealand are the Falcons. :up:

Also, after reading the history of Aussie Rules in New Zealand, it's amazing how close it came to seriously catching on pre-WWI. A touring Maori team in the late 19th century even beat South Melbourne!

How are you fabulous people? I'm just (pre-emptively) dandy, thanks for asking!

Ash, our jokes about yahoo answers was made into an .swf!

My response: Sydney Showgrounds.

Although, I say tough shit. You take on the risk of extraneous venues when you bid for the games, you have to take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom