City Of Blinding Lights depriciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you heard COBL for the first time today, with someone else singing the vocals instead of Bono, you would think it was some young pop band trying to make a light-weight U2 rip-off. You would never know that it's the same band that, just ten, fifteen years ago, was pushing every envelope it could find as far as they could. You would never know that it's the same band that changed the face of rock touring forever with ZooTV and Popmart. You would never know that it's the same band that recorded 'War', 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'The Joshua Tree', 'Rattle And Hum', 'Achtung Baby', 'Zooropa', and 'Pop'.

You would never know that this cliched, boring pop song was the work of the band that once referred to themselves as 'The Biggest, Baddest, Boldest Band In The Land'.

namkcuR said:
If you heard COBL for the first time today, with someone else singing the vocals instead of Bono, you would think it was some young pop band trying to make a light-weight U2 rip-off. You would never know that it's the same band that, just ten, fifteen years ago, was pushing every envelope it could find as far as they could. You would never know that it's the same band that changed the face of rock touring forever with ZooTV and Popmart. You would never know that it's the same band that recorded 'War', 'The Unforgettable Fire', 'The Joshua Tree', 'Rattle And Hum', 'Achtung Baby', 'Zooropa', and 'Pop'.

You would never know that this cliched, boring pop song was the work of the band that once referred to themselves as 'The Biggest, Baddest, Boldest Band In The Land'.

Actually I would think its U2 just writting a great tune.:huh:

Here's a song that is a bit similar to COBL lyrically.

You are so beautiful to me
Can't you see
Your everything I hoped for
Your everything I need

Such joy and happiness you bring
Such joy and happiness you bring
Like a dream
A guiding light that shines in the night
Heavens gift to me

But much, much better song :drool:

Ha , if every young boy band a guitarrist that really know what to make with a guitar :wink:

namkcuR said:
If you heard COBL for the first time today, with someone else singing the vocals instead of Bono, you would think it was some young pop band trying to make a light-weight U2 rip-off.

Your ego is laughable. Please keep it up as I've started to show some of my friends your posts who find such patronisation hilarious.

namkcuR said:

:up:

namkcuR said:

The song is clearily a rock song. Check out the song's structures, instrumental and its intentions.
If what you described happened, I would've think that this is another band trying to built its breakthrough with a song that a band like U2 could have made. Maybe some would say that they were U2 wannabes.

This thread has become hilarious just like the other depreciation threads, whatever that word means.

Well, hilarious in whatever way. It just amuses me that despite there being clear differences of opinion between the most frequent posters here, they continue to post the same opinions and argue etc. and it'll once again end up getting nasty with a big fat lock on the thread. :huh:

Zootlesque said:
Well, hilarious in whatever way. It just amuses me that despite there being clear differences of opinion between the most frequent posters here, they continue to post the same opinions and argue etc. and it'll once again end up getting nasty with a big fat lock on the thread. :huh:

Well the fact is thats the only reason why the person who originally makes these posts do so. They are looking for a fight or an argument. So they got what they were looking for.

Zootlesque said:
depreciation threads, whatever that word means.

Depreciation is the opposite of appreciation. As per dictionary.com:

n 1: a decrease in price or value; "depreciation of the dollar against the yen" [ant: appreciation] 2: decrease in value of an asset due to obsolescence or use [syn: wear and tear] 3: a communication that belittles somebody or something [syn: disparagement, derogation]

Oh yeah, I know. I just don't think it is the right antonym for appreciation, when used to describe music. :wink:

gherman, I don't think you can say that it's fact. How do you know if the people who make these threads aren't genuinly expressing their dislike for a certain song or album? They may not necessarily have the intent of stirring shit up. Only Mr. Brau1 does that. ;)

Zootlesque said:
Oh yeah, I know. I just don't think it is the right antonym for appreciation, when used to describe music. :wink:

Yeah, I tend to think of it as a term related to finances, but the third definition there does suit the intent of this thread - though I do wonder if it is actually a breach of the forum rules.

Well, if it isn't, maybe I'll have to start the One Depreciation Thread. :wink:

None of you have seen me unleash my wrath on Yahweh yet. You think things are getting nasty in the Middle East, just try telling me that song is anything but the most incredible piece of shit U2 have ever placed on record. Ever. That's when you'll see chickens flying around here.

Meanwhile - people are allowed to have an opinion, even if it's negative, even if they feel they want to express it by starting a thread.

Earnie Shavers said:
Meanwhile - people are allowed to have an opinion, even if it's negative, even if they feel they want to express it by starting a thread.

Exactly. That's what I don't get with the general attitude here. People that start appreciation threads and drool fests are never attacked or argued with. Whereas any sort of criticism of a song, an album or the band itself is met with hate filled responses along the lines of 'dont you have a life? why are you posting on a u2 message board then?' Geez, chill out mate! Can't somebody express their opinion here, whether positive or negative? :huh:

Of course gherman just stated in another thread that he/she "hates" Zooropa. So I don't see what the big deal is. He/she hates Zooropa and decided to tell us that, and is more than welcome to expand on why that is - the electronica influence? the lack of 'rock'? the lyrics? the theme? - and others are more than welcome, myself included, to declare our "hate" for the Bomb and expand on why that is.

Earnie Shavers said:
Of course gherman just stated in another thread that he/she "hates" Zooropa. So I don't see what the big deal is. He/she hates Zooropa and decided to tell us that, and is more than welcome to expand on why that is - the electronica influence? the lack of 'rock'? the lyrics? the theme? - and others are more than welcome, myself included, to declare our "hate" for the Bomb and expand on why that is.

Because to me is dry, boring and does nothing to dig up my emotions. It sounds "plastic" to me. People here like "wierd" and "different" which is cool and thats your taste. Zooropa is just not exiting to me, Achtung Baby is, HTDAAB is because it bleeds emotion. Sure its not adventerous and doesn't push the bounderies but its simple, straight up music and it stirs up emotions in me the Zooropa doen't even come close to. Its your opinion but when people start threads like this thy are not doing for the sake of starting a thread or starting conversation they are starting it to start conflict. I hate Zooropa and I will always let it be known but that doesn't mean its not a great album I just don't like but you don't see me starting a fucking thread about it.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

Exactly. That's what I don't get with the general attitude here. People that start appreciation threads and drool fests are never attacked or argued with. Whereas any sort of criticism of a song, an album or the band itself is met with hate filled responses along the lines of 'dont you have a life? why are you posting on a u2 message board then?' Geez, chill out mate! Can't somebody express their opinion here, whether positive or negative? :huh:

"slaaiiiide-guitaaahhr!!!” Yugh!!
This is the most WHINING, ANNOYING, MOANING guitar slide-riff Edge ever produced!! He must have had a very uninspired, bad day otherwise he would never come up with such a boring, whining slide-riff. "

"Man, I could not believe how much of a caricature U2 themselves were making of this song"

"Then you get a bridge and Bono start whining like he wants ice-cream: ..”tssaaahm, tssaaahm, tssaaahm, won’t leave me as I am” to wreck again my nerves with: “oh…you…look…so…biejooedifohohol…tonaaaiit………..” on repeat. And this supposed to be the climax!! Truly this is the worst chorus I have heard from this band in 20 years. Then it fades with the same dull piano…"

"I can’t believe they want to display so much recklessness and laziness regarding the chorus of this song and the cheesiness of Edge’s guitar. "

"The song is a caricature"

Ok. Reality check buddy. Someone posts a thread, in a U2 forum, and writes stuff about a song with sentences like this, about a U2 song that a lot of people here love for very good reasons. May be they where at the New York shows that inspired the song (me), and you are surprized that it gets the responces it gets. Get fucking real!!! Its one thing to just state and opinion its another thing to make it a Bill O'Reilly rant.

Last edited:
It's all opinion and it's all subjective, that's what it's all about.

COBL really has a great section in it, that pre-chorus build up. "And I...miss you when you're not around" take or leave the lyrics, the music and the melody is great. Too bad you have to fill a song with a lot more than that to make it interesting for people like me.

Actually the live versions free from the horrid production are quite good, it's the chorus, well, it's the build up and then that shittastic chorus that is the baffling part. If Coldplay had written that clunker there would be a thread each day bashing it.

Of course everybody is entitled to express their opinion. Thank God there's freedom of speech.
The thing here is that people post their opinion - whether good or bad - but they can't really why they love it or detest it. It's only about the "greatest piece of shit" U2 has ever recorded, or the most cheesy and boring song with the worst chorus in the band's catalogue. Everybody tells it but no one can give a reason or a justification for that crap posts.

Why? That's only because they want to seem relevant here, making kind of contradictions.
That's what turns this thing too boring sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom