Chipping Sodbury, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reggo for the festive SuperWin.

Now, catching up:

Ax, slopsy or ali - can one of you PLEEEEEASE buy my Laneway ticket? I bought one forgetting I'm going to Thailand :(

Oh shit! Bought ours the moment they went on sale, I'm afraid.

ax what was the name of the Joy Formidable track from your DI list? i remember really digging it, and i'm listening to Whirring now as I go thru p4k's list (they've included some godawful remix with Britney Spears, Kesha and Nicki Minaj - FUCKING GOODBYE CREDIBILITY)

Cradle? I think it was Cradle. Yep, definitely was. worth getting the album that was from? or the one they released this year?

Yeah, the song was Cradle. It's from this year's album, The Big Roar, and I think it's the best track. I haven't heard either of their other albums yet.

Not sure why you like trams so much ax. I'm on the 96 right now to St Duthie and it's loud as fuck (srsly, can't hear my music) and absolutely packed.

Well, there's your first problem, you're on the 96. It's the worst tram line in the city (possibly the worst public transport route of any mode) and I avoid it like the plague. When I go to St Duthie, I usually take the 112.

Why's the 96 so famous?

It's the busiest route in the city by far, and it goes to the most well-known suburb. They never should've converted it from a railway to a tramway - massive short-sighted mistake of the eighties. It now is more heavily patronised than some railway lines in the city, which is why it's always so painfully overcrowded. Only problem is, they can't really convert it back to a heavy railway without massive expense, because the old railway route to Flinders St Station was sold - and Crown now sits on that land!

You ever been on one of those restaurant trams? I saw one at the St Duthie terminus last night.

Always meant to, but never have, partly because they're quite expensive so we're saving it up for a special occasion - then when a special occasion rolls around, we forget and make other plans! :lol:

Maybe for my 25th next month. 25th? Oh god, I only turned 21 two or three days ago.

You were but a wee troll back then!

Lastly, have you heard of the "sport" of "trugo"? It was invented in the 20s in the Newport Railway Workshops. You get a mallet and hit a buffer down the length of a train carriage, between two posts (width of a train carriage). But it's dying out, because all the people who play it are now 170 years old. I'm doing a story on the club in Brunswick.

Lastly, have you heard of the "sport" of "trugo"? It was invented in the 20s in the Newport Railway Workshops. You get a mallet and hit a buffer down the length of a train carriage, between two posts (width of a train carriage). But it's dying out, because all the people who play it are now 170 years old. I'm doing a story on the club in Brunswick.

Hahaha, that sounds fantastic! I'd never heard of that.

U2.com has a contest to win a trabant from the ZooTV tour.

I'm having way too much fun with my Punk Island list. 34 songs and it's still too short for a Mini Island competition. :laugh:

Just going through some photos, and it reminded me that I need to let you all know about a couple of places Charlotte and I went to!

We can now tick two more Superthread locations off:

15. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

86. Tutaekuri ("dogshit") River, New Zealand

I'll post pictorial proof in the coming days - Explosions In The Sky tonight in Auckland, then an arse o'clock flight back to Melbourne tomorrow morning. I'm at a loss why we booked such an early flight, but oh well, I can't wait for the gig! EITS was the first band I ever saw in a venue as small as a club and they fucking blew me away back then. I hope they're even half as good tonight.

PS Near the Tutaekuri River, we found a little town that simply MUST be a Superthread location. Wait and see, when I make my next thread.

Just going through some photos, and it reminded me that I need to let you all know about a couple of places Charlotte and I went to!

We can now tick two more Superthread locations off:

15. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

86. Tutaekuri ("dogshit") River, New Zealand

I'll post pictorial proof in the coming days - Explosions In The Sky tonight in Auckland, then an arse o'clock flight back to Melbourne tomorrow morning. I'm at a loss why we booked such an early flight, but oh well, I can't wait for the gig! EITS was the first band I ever saw in a venue as small as a club and they fucking blew me away back then. I hope they're even half as good tonight.

PS Near the Tutaekuri River, we found a little town that simply MUST be a Superthread location. Wait and see, when I make my next thread.
I'd like to go to one superthread location in my lifetime. Even if it's Mollie's Nipple. Even if I have to cheat and find a stripper named Mollie.

I've lost count of how many I've been to! :lol: You should make a thread that visits somewhere funny you've been so that you can tick one off.

:doh: I am a complete idiot. I've been to 49. Disneyland, USA more times than I can count. :der:

Reggo, Travis and I thank you very much. My apologies for having not been around to say so until now. This has been a very very stressful and bad week in my life, and I just have felt overwhelmed by the idea of trying to get on Interference and catch up on all I've missed.

Reggo, Travis and I thank you very much. My apologies for having not been around to say so until now. This has been a very very stressful and bad week in my life, and I just have felt overwhelmed by the idea of trying to get on Interference and catch up on all I've missed.

:hug: No worries. I hope everything's okay now. If you need anything, I'm only a PM or email away.

Back in Melbourne!

We were surrounded by so many stupid people on the plane, oh my god. From the woman asking if we were flying over "real Australia" or "fake Australia" as we were descending into Melbourne - I managed to ascertain that "fake Australia" is Tasmania - through to the dumb woman who got up pretty much immediately after the "please remain in your seats until we have reached the terminal" announcement, and the idiotic tour group at Auckland Airport.

This huge tour group had all lined up at the Qantas desks. Just after we joined our queue at Jetstar's desks, we noticed all of them come streaming out of the Qantas queue and join ours, literally doubling its length. Now, I could perhaps understand the mistake if they were booked as Qantas passengers on a Jetstar flight (like we were). But then, after standing in our queue for ages - our queue, clearly labelled for the Melbourne flight, with a Gold Coast queue next to it - a Jetstar staff member came along calling out "if there is anybody for the Gold Coast in this queue, please join the other one!" as that flight was about to close. What do you know, NONE OF THE TOUR GROUP COULD FUCKING READ AT ALL and immediately rushed under the barriers from the Melbourne queue to join the Gold Coast queue. :lmao:

I hope they all missed their flight.

Did I miss anything amazing? While I was away, I really only checked here, the LS Australia thread, and the AFL and cricket threads. Any B&C or EYKIW lulz I should know about?

Back in Melbourne!

We were surrounded by so many stupid people on the plane, oh my god. From the woman asking if we were flying over "real Australia" or "fake Australia" as we were descending into Melbourne - I managed to ascertain that "fake Australia" is Tasmania.
...Please tell me this wasn't an American. I will disown my country so quickly...

Haha, for once, you needn't worry! I think she was Kiwi.

:huh: ...Ki...wi? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I had the following conversation with someone in Texas today:

Caller: Where are you from?
Me: I'm in Salt Lake City, sir.
Caller: Is that back East somewhere?
Me: No, I'm in Utah, we're just above Arizona.
Caller: Oh, down south somewhere.
Me...Sure. pay your bill so I can turn your internet back on and you can maybe take an online course in geography.

:huh: ...Ki...wi? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I had the following conversation with someone in Texas today:

Caller: Where are you from?
Me: I'm in Salt Lake City, sir.
Caller: Is that back East somewhere?
Me: No, I'm in Utah, we're just above Arizona.
Caller: Oh, down south somewhere.
Me...Sure. pay your bill so I can turn your internet back on and you can maybe take an online course in geography.

That makes the guy from New York state who tried to tell me that New Zealand is north of Australia look pretty reasonable at geography.

That makes the guy from New York state who tried to tell me that New Zealand is north of Australia look pretty reasonable at geography.

Well, if he was older than God, maybe he was going off the last time the magnetic poles reversed themselves...

Rather than trolling B&C, I'd just like to take this moment to disagree with Cobbler's latest thread title over there. :tongue:

Nah, I think I'm the only person who doesn't think a whole lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom