Can *YOU* ID this song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, I had to search for this thread. The reason I am replying to it again is because last night I had a dream that I actually found out who sang this song. It was weird, I was looking at their cd and reading the lyrics from the booklet.

Too bad I can't remember the name of the band from my dream.

I also can't believe that no one has figured out who the artist is.

i just did

KhanadaRhodes said:

i wonder if anyone's asked him... :huh:

Ok, I just emailed him, I'm not expecting much more than a smart-ass answer, which is his specialty (if I hear back at all). But he is very funny and I do love Answer Guy!:lmao:

I'll keep ya posted!

This is the most intruiging thread ever

Okay, I went through each and every reply. I can't believe nobody has solved this yet. I am a big floyd fan and I agree with that person who thought the singer sounded like Waters. I dont think it is him though cos it sounds like him only for a few seconds right when the clip is about 15 - 20% complete. It does sound very much like Bono's voice, Edge's guitar and Larry's drums. I'm sure somebody will be able to find the answer. This reminds me so so much about the time in my own childhood between 1991 and 1994 when I used to make mono recordings off TV and radio. I was so obsessed and crazy about music then. Because of that, I knew many obscure songs by obscure and weird artists from the same period. I'm stumped by this one though...:huh:

To the thread starter: Very unique and interesting thread!!!:up:

bonosloveslave said:
Ok, I just emailed him, I'm not expecting much more than a smart-ass answer, which is his specialty (if I hear back at all). But he is very funny and I do love Answer Guy!:lmao:

I'll keep ya posted!
awesome! :up:

even if he does reply with a smart-ass answer, maybe it'll get us closer to the truth! :angel:

I shouldn't be posting b/c I have no idea and don't want to get the hopes up of anyone!

BUT I wanted to say this is indeed a very interesting and intriguing post and I hope someone will find the answer!

It's remarkable how similar some parts sound to U2. I have only listened to the first three clips (at work now so can't listen to .mp3), but right now I think it sounds like a collaboration. From what folks are saying, I'll probably change my mind when I hear the .mp3. I put it on yesterday and my sister goes, "what's this, new u2 with a bad recording?" :D We both agreed that at some parts the vocals sounded very much like Bono, but other parts not so much. The guitar had a very good "Edge feel", but at the end of chorus it kind of changes and isn't very "Edge like". She is a bassist and says the bassist has an ever so slightly different technique than Adam.

I shouldn't be posting all this without hearing the new version, I just want to help keep the post alive and near the top!!
:)

I just emailed Tami from Kroq (radio station in L.A.) and I included the links to the songs, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will answer the email, and can help ID this song. Hope that works.

Could it be a song by 'Ours'?? I have a few of this bands songs and the singer does sound like Bono. Only problem is, I don't know how old they are? Let the search begin.

Peace.

I'll have to look into that band...well, I received a reply from Tami Heide and she suggested I call the KROQ hotline, and when I did, I explained the situation and I'm not sure if it was her who answered the phone, but I was put on hold, and eventually the line hung up on me. I emailed back telling her what happened, and she asked me to call back. I'll be on the phone trying to find out anything I can. Wish me luck...

I stumped Tami Heide! lol

I talked with her on the phone, and I played it for her and she was so frustrated that she couldnt figure it out. As far as she is concerned I have officially stumped a band lol! She did suggest calling all the radio stations that played the song even if the formats have changed. If we do find out who does this song, she wants me to call her back and tell her asap.

I'm going to email other radio DJ's from the same station in hopes of finding the answer.

Gah this is driving me crazy:confused: :coocoo:

So here I am, playing this song when one of my coworkers comes and says PINK FLOYD? And l'm like :shocked:!! I ask him: Don't U think it sounds more like U2? He says :yes: But this sounds more raging than their usual music. So who is it? I reply: :shrug: It's a mystery. No one knows. Then another co-worker comes and asks about the song. I tell all the story(as displayed at this thread) and then the 2nd co-worker says: If no one has discovered who's performing this song it must be diabolical!

Me and the first co-worker:
:eeklaugh: :lol::rolleyes:

So then he says: can I record this song? I want a friend to listen to it. he might know!

nellie said:
I stumped Tami Heide! lol

I'm going to email other radio DJ's from the same station in hopes of finding the answer.

Gah this is driving me crazy:confused: :coocoo:

I already asked David O'Leary of Boston's WBOS and he didn't know. Didn't Tami Heide originate from Boston? The name is so familiar!

What about starting a new thread asking for fans that listen to the stations that it was originally played on to check in? An Interferencer may know, but maybe hasn't read this thread because it doesn't draw them in.

Last edited:
This is like a second hobby:|

I just sent an email with the wav file attachment to the rest of the dj's at KROQ, since i can't call the request lines too often. I hope they get back to me with SOMETHING...I'll keep you guys posted with what I find...

Oh, Carmah or whatever your name is, what have you done this time? I really like your story about this and that....but the part I like most is "One afternoon I turned on the radio and they were playing (what I thought was) a U2 song. The song was almost over but I decided to record it anyway. Unfortunately, the DJ never did say who the band was, but I assumed it was U2 at the time". Tell me this, how come I found all 3 clips on www.radioio.com, under the "allmusic" section, if you heard this song on the radio when you were so young? Better yet, how can radioio have the same exact clips that you have? In short, if you want the name of the band how about emailing radioio? They might know who the band is since the song clips are found on their site! :ohmy:

Wowy23 said:
Oh, Carmah or whatever your name is, what have you done this time? I really like your story about this and that....but the part I like most is "One afternoon I turned on the radio and they were playing (what I thought was) a U2 song. The song was almost over but I decided to record it anyway. Unfortunately, the DJ never did say who the band was, but I assumed it was U2 at the time". Tell me this, how come I found all 3 clips on www.radioio.com, under the "allmusic" section, if you heard this song on the radio when you were so young? Better yet, how can radioio have the same exact clips that you have? In short, if you want the name of the band how about emailing radioio? They might know who the band is since the song clips are found on their site! :ohmy:

where is the "allmusic" section?

Very cool - if you click the "listen" tab from the main page of radioio, they have a pic of Bono, Adam, and Bruce!

*edited cuz I see Bono again on the "emails" page and Bruce again on the "contact" page :)

Last edited:
My guess is that it is a Canadian band that never made it out of Canada. Do notice where Carmanah is from: Vancouver, B.C.

The sound of it is too unrefined to be U2; the guitar playing, while similar to the Edge, has elements in it that are plain not attributable to Edge, especially if this is supposed to be 1993 U2. Remember "Zooropa" and "Achtung Baby," folks? They were in electronic euphoria, as far as they were concerned.

Melon

Wowy23 said:

I NEED TO RETRACT EVERYTHING I SAID HERE: I MAD A MISTAKE AND I APOLOGIZE. THE ALLMUSIC SECTION TAKES ALL THE MUSIC I'VE LISTEN TO AND REPLAYS IT. AGAIN, I'M SORRY.

Has anyone tried writing to Q Magazine? They have a monthly feature wherein someone sends in lyrics to as song they're trying to indentify, and then some astute reader responds the following month. Some of the lyrics to this song have been deciphered, right? I'm too lazy to browse all of the posts to look. Anyway, it might be worth a shot.

I've listened to this clip endlessay and am also completely stumped.

I have emailed Carter Alan at WZLX in Boston for his help. He literally has written the book on U2 (well some books anyway). He may be able to help.

I have also emailed Nik Carter at WBCN in Boston for his help.

Don't know this will yield any help but ya never know.

The search continues...

ThatGuy said:
Has anyone tried writing to Q Magazine? They have a monthly feature wherein someone sends in lyrics to as song they're trying to indentify, and then some astute reader responds the following month. Some of the lyrics to this song have been deciphered, right? I'm too lazy to browse all of the posts to look. Anyway, it might be worth a shot.

Yeah, will someone in the locality do that? I'm going to e-mail some DJ's at 2fm, Ireland's No. 1 radio station, and see if any of those know.

I'll let you know of any reply.

You know, that "song" sounds familiar. It could be just because it sounds SOOOO MUCH like U2....as you said Bono's voice, the style and harmony of Edge's guitar, Adam's bass, etc....I would not be surprized, actually, if it is some of their work.

I thought, and because I know you're SO anxious to know who sings this, I do stress THOUGHT....that either during the ZOO TV or POP Tour, that a Boston Radio station did a documentry on U2, and I THINK, that it included "other" material from them...ie not on any current album. So, now you have me stumped. I did record the special, which was 3 hours long. Plus, during ZOO TV, Carter Alan played every song from A to Z that U2 ever "recorded"......which means I have a lot of tapes to listen to. Should I come across it, I'll be sure to let you know. Another thought that comes to my mind is: If it is Not U2, and this band has "that voice" and "that sound".....what happened to them?

I've been following this thread for a while! That song...I have no idea! Never heard anything like it before in my life! Too weird that no one here knows it!

But I just emailed Cub Carson at The Bear, an Ottawa radio station. Maybe he can help! He seems to know a lot of really obscure songs!

*Red

Well, I got a reply from Cub Carson...Here's what he said:

Man that one stumped me!! I'm usually pretty good for stuff like this, but
damn! That's a tough one, it sounds like a combo of U2 and Pink Floyd. Sorry!

Cub Carson
Weekend & Overnight announcer
Ottawa's Best Rock Mix
106.9 the BEAR
A Standard radio station

So that was no big help...

And the search goes on

*Red

O.K.....I've received no resposnse from my emails to the radio stations thus far so....

I'm thinking of burning a copy of this track on CD and taking it around to various radio stations. Maybe I can find someone who can settle this!

I'll do my best....

There's a part of me that thinks that maybe the track is a very rare U2 demo that got leaked and played. I know this is unlikely as most leaked tracks have been confirmed and are "out there". But maybe this one wasn't.

I guess we'll see. (hopefully!)

Back
Top Bottom