Calvinism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Edwards on Predestination, we might as well move on to your other questions. I think the difference between us comes from....

My emotions are obviously connected to that choice, but it's a heck of a lot safer to let your emotions follow your head than let your head follow your emotions.

...and your emphasis on reason.

It's true, anyone can argue either way to infinity. You can say you love your fiance b/c of certain tangible things that you choose to enjoy, and I can still say I didn't choose to like Phil, especially since there was a bad situation when we first started seeing each other, it just happened and there was nothing I could or can do about it.

The reason I love Edwards is b/c of his distinction between freedom and free will. It helps me b/c as a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will. Edwards is sort of a nice compromise. I'm sure it's a lot more attractive to me b/c you not being a Calvinist means you're free to believe in free will and whatnot.

So, as long as you understand Edwards' point of view, I think we can move on....

Any answer is a good answer for me. To be frank, I've always had a secret crush on Calvinism. I'd love to be able to look at the world and believe that God has complete control over every little thing. But with what's happening around us, I just can't believe it's all God's doing. Anyway, answer what you can. Anything is helpful.

as a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will

Seriously?!! Is that an honest statement, or just an exaggeration to make a point?

Wow. I guess I've just never been around a brand of Christianity that is "against ideas." Maybe it just hit me the wrong way.

Sorry, had to respond to that. Go ahead . . .

Got Philk? said:
LOL!! I'll take this into consideration. However, unlike Britney, I'd like to be sober I think. :drunk:

I'm tellin' you man, I never would have thought that planning a wedding would completely suck. It takes the life out of you, bleeds away your free time, and before you know it, you're stuck somewhere in the feetle position weeping because you don't care if the accent flowers on the guestbook stand are fuscia or tope.

Actually, I think it's taupe. :wink: But I think I'd pick fuscia. haha. I do understand some. My sister got married a couple years ago and it even somewhat sucked for the rest of the family somehow...Anyway, sorry to interrupt. Back to Calvinism.

Good luck with everything!!!

I think it's actually mine. I need to address this:

As a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will

Seriously?!! Is that an honest statement, or just an exaggeration to make a point?

Wow. I guess I've just never been around a brand of Christianity that is "against ideas." Maybe it just hit me the wrong way.

What I meant was, I believe that it's not important for me to convince you that Edwards' theory is correct, or even relevant. The reason is that you've stated before as undenominational, you don't adhere to any specific doctrine. As Calvinist, I do, and one of them is that there is no such thing as free will. Therefore, Edwards is naturally more appealing to me because I need to understand how it works that we have no free will but still make what we think are our own choices. Kind of like if you were to not believe in ghosts and I did. Well, say I believe in them, but can't explain them so I'm interested in how ghosts "work". You wouldn't be b/c you didn't believe in them in the first place. I don't want to try and convince you that Edwards' treatment of free will is right when you don't even believe in a doctrine of free will in the first place. Your responses to Edwards indicate to me that you see some false login in his theory. But I won't make his case again because I believe that I've explained it the best I can (since it's very new to me) and you understand what I'm saying, just don't agree. Which is all fine. :D

Back
Top Bottom