Bummerville, CA, United States Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told just a couple of days ago by a South Australian that literally nobody drinks West End!

But then she's about as close as you can get to a South Australian nationalist, I think.

is seroquel an ssri? I sometimes get super anxious that drinking alcohol and taking seroquel is destroying my liver and i'm wiping 10 years off my life.

don't tell me if i am. at least not tonight cos then i'll think i'm gonna die in my sleep

Oh. Well.

I think most of my quips here would be deeply unproductive.

And that's all I have at the moment, quips. I guess cynicism too.

I'm fine.

Nah, go for it; if I'm at the point where I can talk about this publicly, it's okay to quip about it.

But yeah, my sense of humour has been broken for most of the year, so I know how you feel.

is seroquel an ssri? I sometimes get super anxious that drinking alcohol and taking seroquel is destroying my liver and i'm wiping 10 years off my life.

don't tell me if i am. at least not tonight cos then i'll think i'm gonna die in my sleep

You're good - if you regularly get side effects they might be affected, but it won't destroy your kidneys or liver or anything.

I was told just a couple of days ago by a South Australian that literally nobody drinks West End!

But then she's about as close as you can get to a South Australian nationalist, I think.

It's totally true - I mean, I'm only drinking this because of a mistake!

The only people I've known who've drank it regularly have been cheapskate art students with a taste for irony, even then, most tend to dish out slightly more for something even remotely palatable.

Nah, go for it; if I'm at the point where I can talk about this publicly, it's okay to quip about it.

But yeah, my sense of humour has been broken for most of the year, so I know how you feel.

My sense of humour has got really fucking dark of late. I guess the combination of thinking people in general are fuckwits combined with teaching genocide gets to you after a while.

But hey apparently everybody thinks I'm this well adjusted cheerful productive guy who likes a beer. :happy:

It's totally true - I mean, I'm only drinking this because of a mistake!

The only people I've known who've drank it regularly have been cheapskate art students with a taste for irony, even then, most tend to dish out slightly more for something even remotely palatable.

:lol:

I still haven't sampled such... delights. Maybe I will in Mt Gambier - later this month FUCK WHERE HAS MY YEAR GONE.

My sense of humour has got really fucking dark of late. I guess the combination of thinking people in general are fuckwits combined with teaching genocide gets to you after a while.

But hey apparently everybody thinks I'm this well adjusted cheerful productive guy who likes a beer. :happy:

In my second week, I said to someone that "I'm so bored that I want to put a revolver in my mouth", forgetting that ordinary people don't talk like that.

He has a PhD, though, so he totally got what I meant.

(Being exposed to horrible violence on a regular basis does do a number on your mental health, I found.)

In my second week, I said to someone that "I'm so bored that I want to put a revolver in my mouth", forgetting that ordinary people don't talk like that.

He has a PhD, though, so he totally got what I meant.

(Being exposed to horrible violence on a regular basis does do a number on your mental health, I found.)

I'm actually slightly concerned how flippant I am now about mass violence. Like, it's just another thing I study, no more or less horrifying than the other projects I'm involved in.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I FEARED IN UNDERGRAD WHEN I WALKED AWAY FROM GENOCIDE STUDIES.

I'm not even joking. Caps not used for ironic effect.

I've taken Citalopram for as long as I've been drinking, my doctors have never said anything to imply I shouldn't drink at all, but I do wonder what sort of effect it could have when I'm older. Kind of hate to think.

I take Citalopram as well. The docs said that mild drinking is fine, but excess (>six drinks? I don't remember the exact number) drinking was not. I found that out the hard way when I lost six hours to the back of the couch when I went out drinking after starting on it.

I have 2 and a half semesters until I graduate. Excitement/uncertainty.

I'm actually slightly concerned how flippant I am now about mass violence. Like, it's just another thing I study, no more or less horrifying than the other projects I'm involved in.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I FEARED IN UNDERGRAD WHEN I WALKED AWAY FROM GENOCIDE STUDIES.

You're like NZ's answer to Noam Chomsky.

Are you having fun at uni so far?

It's been good, to the point that I think I enjoy the actual semester more so than the holidays. Shocking, I know!

Put your feet up and fucking relax for the next year.

You can turn in the most turgid shit and pass, I promise.

There's a part of this that is tempting for me, but I'm in a field where I'd want to push hard creatively to get noticed.

There's a part of this that is tempting for me, but I'm in a field where I'd want to push hard creatively to get noticed.

Oh yeah. My own personal pride prohibited me from turning in crap (and I guess still does). But speaking as a marker, you would be horrified not just by what we pass, but by what we give fairly decent marks. Nowadays I don't know why I ever worried about a thing in undergrad.

Oh yeah. My own personal pride prohibited me from turning in crap (and I guess still does). But speaking as a marker, you would be horrified not just by what we pass, but by what we give fairly decent marks. Nowadays I don't know why I ever worried about a thing in undergrad.

I sympathise with that, I just can't really bring myself to half ass an assessment task, hell, I get disappointed with anything below a distinction because I set myself high standards for just about everything.

On the second point, of course markers differ, but I always find they don't just throw out high marks for any old studio assignment. I suppose it works somewhat differently if it's just an essay rather than a body of work that includes numerous components.

That's good! Don't freak out about graduating to the point where you stop having fun - everything will sort itself out in some way.

Hopefully, I just want to get straight into the field, and funnily enough that because the hire rate for graduates is actually pretty decent, it makes me a tad more nervous. In that sense, constantly aiming for HDs/Ds is a great incentive.

I've hit the point where I'm constantly reading about Operation Yewtree/Operation Hydrant, because it's literally the only thing that makes me feel anymore.

I sympathise with that, I just can't really bring myself to half ass an assessment task, hell, I get disappointed with anything below a distinction because I set myself high standards for just about everything.

On the second point, of course markers differ, but I always find they don't just throw out high marks for any old studio assignment. I suppose it works somewhat differently if it's just an essay rather than a body of work that includes numerous components.

Not sure what your marking scheme is, but ours the top band is 80-100%. Really doesn't matter what you get within that, it's all an H1 (and cracking the 90s is rare). Yet I used to be annoyed with myself for getting below 85%.

Now I realise we mark on a rather narrow scale. Getting 70% isn't hard. Getting 65% is downright easy. But getting 80%? That requires effort.

HD/D/C/P1/P2 - from highest to lowest (pass mark, that is). I think a HD is approx. 85%+

OK can I have a... well not a rant, but you know. One of my colleagues had a baby. Like, just had a baby. Last night. And all these other colleagues were really excited today, getting all sentimental about it. Including people from whom I would not expect such behaviour.

And I had no reaction other than "huh" - and "so who won the bet on when the kid would be born?"

I just can't find such news to be either interesting or exciting. And now I realise I'm getting old and I'm going to have to pretend to care when friends have kids.

If you have so much on your plate I can't imagine being overly interested in another person's newborn child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom