Boston, March 11 Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
part III

Q&A time. They changed the stage a bit, setting out 5 of those director-type chairs.

After a few false starts, he finally riles up the crowd and introduces the band. I know there's a recording (maybe even transcript) out there so I'm not going to write everything that was said. Larry comes out, then Edge, then Adam, then Bono. Larry looked very nervous, and mostly glanced down or at Slay. Edge never looks like he's in front of people - sometimes I think he feels like he's just playing in his bedroom by himself. Adam does look at everyone, with this kind of sweet interest, and smiles too. Bono, phew, well you all know him. He's freaking loving it and wants to hug everyone. Once it started, the band seemed relaxed, if not a teeny bit anxious to be done. I think Bono wanted to answer every question, haha.

I'm gonna get the order of these things wrong and totally paraphrase bits but you'll get the idea....

Some of the things that was said during commercial break that wasn't aired was one person asking Bono and Edge specifically what their wives call them at home. Bono immediately answers, speaking right against the mic, "mister." Then he and Edge start tossing out terms of endearment, like "Honey" and "baby." Then Edge clarifies the question, like if he's called the Edge, and says that yes she calls him the Edge, even his mother calls him the Edge and Bono says (wait for it...) that even his mom is called Mrs. The Edge! *cue laughter*

Actually during the first commercial break (i think) Bono had us all sing Happy Birthday to Adam!! Actually I think a few fans had called out Happy Birthday and then Bono tells us all it's Adam's birthday on Friday and they didn't get him anything but wanted us to cheer for him, but then I think he got that we were all ready to sing Happy Birthday so he leads us in a rendition, and it was all very very sweet, Adam grinning like a fool!

On the whole, for the Q&A the band's willingness, on the most part, to give new answers to old questions really made it extra special. For instance, Edge being asked how do they know when an album was done. He said "We know when we stop arguing about the songs, and instead we start enjoying the songs." I thought that was a beautiful way to put it, and it seemed to affect everyone because it got a nice round of applause. All of the stories were really well told, like Larry's favorite fan moment, and Bono's follow up to the question to Adam about Adam carrying the band was really gracious. Bono said how we were all joking earlier but that Adam really does, in many visible and unseen ways, carry the band today. It was a beautiful speech, quite sincere.

Speaking of sincere, we did get a mini encore when Bono sang Hallelujah! If possible to pick, it was definitely a highlight of the night for me! The question was asked of Bono, which song by another artist do you wish you had written? To which he went on about Leonard Cohen's Hallelujiah, saying he mentioned it the other night and all that. Well in the middle of his ramblings, some amazing, wonderful person in the balcony shouts out "Sing it!" in this really beautiful, hopeful voice. Instantly I was like, YES! Perfect! And the audience started chanting "sing! it! sing! it!" and Bono grinned shyly, like he was embarrassed and didn't want to, and when he realized no one would stop chanting, he tilts his head back, kind of shuts his eyes, looks up to the balcony where the woman was, and starts singing "hallelujah" directly to her. OMG. Goosebumps, instantly. It was a beautiful moment.

He did sing one other thing, and that was at some point when Slay was singing their praises and I think to take some of the pressure off Bono goes in a sing-song voice "oh no, it's hard to be humble for those who are perfect in every way" or something. Haha, it was funny, and I think he did it when someone else was talking so it might not have come across on radio.

Bono did ask the audience some questions - he said he was curious to know if anyone here was at that first U2 Paradise show in Boston. There were about 3 people there, which was very cool! Then Bono asked who hasn't been to a U2 show before, and about 2 dozen people waved their hands, so that was cool too, that this was their first experience there. Oh and during one of the songs a guy was holding up a copy of U23 (i think) and Bono was like, "the first time we were in Boston i think we were promoting that album, is that boy? Is that an original?" and the guy said Yes and Bono's like "well... drinks are on you after!" haha. Very cool to see fans there who've been there since the very beginning!

Slay asked what makes Boston different from the other cities, and Bono said "well for one thing it's hard not to think of the potato famine" haha. And he said it's the "only place if you get into real trouble the cops won't bust you, if you're in u2," he clarified at the end. We've heard it before but still funny.

I think they could have gotten up there and talked about their favorite crayola crayon colors and I would have been as happy as a pig in mud! <G>

At the end of the Q&A, Slay started going on and on about how this band is so special and at the end of his little rant he's like "so you guys have to support them, it's important to show them support" which I think frustrated Bono, who started shaking his head and interrupted, (paraphrase) "these guys do support us, they're great to us, i mean this is where it all started, they've supported us the entire time, so thank you all, thank you for the great life you've given us." He was as usual very grateful and graceful and I don't think he liked the way Slay's comment came across.

I think that's it, really. The night was simply amazing, from the moment I won those tickets up to and including now. I'm just so overwhelmed and happy and my heart is definitely abloom.

ohh yeah, that guy had 2 records, U2 3 or Boy I couldnt see the difference from where I was since they are both white with a b/w pic and the 11 O clock tick tock single (the yellow cover and all just like the CD single). the guy said they were 1st editions, and Bono made the funny joke that olive quoted. I wonder how much those actually would go for??
so much happened so quickly

got it finally. nothing too special, again just a camera phone

GOYB
3348736169_c8677e879a_o.jpg

Q/A
3348736207_d020c6d464_o.jpg

Did U2 acknowledge when Larry talked about the fan handcuffing herself to Bono that the crowd was shouting 'She's here! She's here!'?

On a personal note, I was a little disappointed that his favorite story wasn't when I saw them on Halloween and I dressed up like a gift for his birthday. :sad: I was front row and everyything...I really thought we had something....:sexywink:

part III

I think that's it, really. The night was simply amazing, from the moment I won those tickets up to and including now. I'm just so overwhelmed and happy and my heart is definitely abloom.

What a great review!!! Thank you so much for sharing! :hyper:

Did U2 acknowledge when Larry talked about the fan handcuffing herself to Bono that the crowd was shouting 'She's here! She's here!'?

wow I didnt pick up on that. that would have been amazing if they had heard it and brought her up.

my favourite Q/A moment was when the question was read "I got on stage during the last tour and I was pregnant" I believe she is a member here btw.

anyway, Larry deadpans, after the pregnancy back story part of question was read, "it wasnt me"

wow I didnt pick up on that. that would have been amazing if they had heard it and brought her up.

my favourite Q/A moment was when the question was read "I got on stage during the last tour and I was pregnant" I believe she is a member here btw.

anyway, Larry deadpans, after the pregnancy back story part of question was read, "it wasnt me"

That was funny. I was listening on my laptop through headphones because my husband was watching Idol. I think he was a little annoyed at all my laughing. Hey, he listens to his stupid Buffett shows.

Olive, amazing job! Thanks.:)

my pleasure :)

Yeah like GretzkyU2Yanks, we didn't hear this. My friends listening to the radio heard it too though. Huh!

On a personal note, I was a little disappointed that his favorite story wasn't when I saw them on Halloween and I dressed up like a gift for his birthday. :sad: I was front row and everyything...I really thought we had something....:sexywink:

Oh I think that was too personal for him to share! It's his own special memory! :wink:

Wow, great stories and photos everyone! At least I got to see U2 leaving the theater. I wasn't close enough to get a hug or anything, but I got a decent video, maybe some of you can see your Bono exchanges! http://www.dropshots.com/ReneeU2#date/2009-03-11/23:41:57 edit: thats weird, only half of the video showed up, I'll add the second part later, with Bono thanking the crowd/waving goodbye and Larry finally coming out

Wow, great stories and photos everyone! At least I got to see U2 leaving the theater. I wasn't close enough to get a hug or anything, but I got a decent video, maybe some of you can see your Bono exchanges! DropShots.com edit: thats weird, only half of the video showed up, I'll add the second part later, with Bono thanking the crowd/waving goodbye and Larry finally coming out

I shook hands with Bono right after the video ends, I think (I couldn't figure out which one was me on the video, but I'm there somewhere). I'd love to see the second part of the video.

Did you guys have a chance to get pics or autographs?

Nope :( We all had to get back on the buses to get back to the Museum of Science(where they picked us up). If I was more comfortable navigating the subway system at night, I would have just hung back and tried to have met them anyways. Ah well. My day will come. :)

even if you werent going to take the bus back by the time we got out, there was no way to get close to anything where we could have met them. we werent going to take the bus, but the bars were packed, and back of the theatre was packed, so we jumped on one so we didnt have to deal with the crowds on the T

That was funny. I was listening on my laptop through headphones because my husband was watching Idol. I think he was a little annoyed at all my laughing. Hey, he listens to his stupid Buffett shows.

Sounds like my living room, me listening to the stereo on headphones while the wife watched Ghost Hunters on SCi Fi. (of course my wife thus outcools your hubby, cause no self respecting man should watch American Idol after the train wreck audition episodes have ended :D )

Back
Top Bottom