books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wrote a Hemingway parody called "Hills Like Three Bears," but that wasn't as good.

I'm reading a lot of books about teaching creative writing for an exam I need to take in order to graduate, but I bet nobody wants to talk about those :sigh:

I just read I'll Go To Bed At Noon by Gerard Woodward. 400 pages about an English family of raving alcoholics. It was about 300 pages too long, and all the characters were vastly unlikable (which may have been the point).

A nominee for the Booker Prize, said the sticker on the cover. But I'll still pass.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm not usually one to endorse movies based on books, but the version of Lolita starring Jeremy Irons was so good. He makes Humbert Humbert more sympathetic than I thought possible. I should reread it soon and rent the movie again.

I actually collect copies of Lolita as a hobby.

It's funny that you guys are talking about this film. I just sent a co-worker home with it two days ago. I'll see her tomorrow and I can't wait to hear what she thought.

I've just started reading Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, because I keep hearing about it, but have no idea what it's about and it's piqued my curosity. The Nadsat's confusing, but it'll hopefully get easier as I read on! I mean, Newspeak got a lot easier to understand the more I read 1984, so I suppose the same can be speculated of this one.

But still to this day, the best books I've ever read are those of 'The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series. I'd say Douglas Adams is nothing short of a genius.

*browneyedgirl* said:
I meant to add Frankenstein by Mary Shelley to my going to read list

we read that in my world cultures and literatures class this year while we were studying romanticism

i loved it so much :heart: the symbolism and themes go forever :love:

don't watch the movie version w/ kenneth brangah/robert de niro
too violent/sexual
it's rated R and we watched it in class w/ a bunch of 15 to 16 year olds.....there's like a big sex scene, it was awkward with your teachers right there :reject:

well, i guess, if you like violent/sexual movies, then watch it :shrug: but not really in school when you're a sophomore, not a good idea :no:

So, I dropped Zorba the Greek. It really wasn't going anywhere and it wasn't doing a thing for me. I decided to re-read Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince instead. I didn't think I'd have much time to read, so I figured it'd take from now 'til July to finish the two.....but instead I'm spending every moment of free time reading Harry---and I'll probably finish Order of the Phoenix today! I wasn't planning on rereading all 6 for the dozenth time, but I may need to to keep myself happy! :wink:

My favorite authors include Stephen King, Dickens, Ray Bradbury, Dennis Lehane, CS Lewis (I love that someone around here has Screwtape in their SN) and of course Chuck Palahniuk... whose new book is out in 2 days!!!

I've spent the afternoon reorganizing my books, and I'm still not done. Between books I've gotten for free since I teach and books I've bought in the last six months or so, my collection has really grown, and I'd been letting them stack up for too long. I've got them organized into literature, anthologies, composition textbooks, creative writing textbooks, books about writing, cookbooks and cooking magazines, and literary journals. And of course my U2 books get their own shelf. I seriously need to stop buying books for awhile, though, because I don't have any more room in my apartment for more bookshelves :crack:

I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Really, really good memoir. At times funny, at times I shook my head in disbelief at the author's parents. But very, very good.

meegannie said:

Okay, apparently I was wrong, and he did like it (I really should find out these things before I speak for other people! :reject: ). He said he didn't like the main character, though. Here's his review:

"I enjoyed The Kite Runner. But it was all just a little too easy. The subject of childhood regret is like a scenic spot that has been visited too often; the emotional centre so contrite and self-indulgent it feels like a get-out-of-jail-free card; the setting in Afghanistan certain to elicit bursts of pity from its globally conscious readership but in style, structure, characters and plot it is inherently a ‘Western’ novel. It is like a Butlins in Kabul.
Read this book. Its clear, uncluttered prose is sometimes beautiful and the emotional honesty of its author gives it a clarity that many bestsellers lack. It is a perfect paperback: light, easy to read and moving. It is no wonder Khaled Hosseini has received glowing praise. But at no point did I feel the breath being sucked out of me as my mind whirled to comprehend how I had been lucky enough to stumble upon a book of this magnitude. For me, that is what sets apart a great book from the rest."

Okay, I do agree with him. It's a great, quick paperback.

VertigoGal said:
i'm finally reading catch 22 and enjoying it. i love the writing style and the just little things that make me laugh. the cautionary tale curriculum gets old and even if this falls under that category maybe a little, the irony is done right and i love it :heart:

:love: Catch 22! I think I've read it 6 or 7 times...I brought it with me to Costa Rica, and it was my little bit of English :lol: Such a great book. I haven't read anything else by Heller though...

I'm about halfway through Gaiman's American Gods, and really enjoying it. Other Gaiman titles I've read recently are Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, Fragile Things, Smoke and Mirrors, and Good Omens, cowritten with Pratchett.

For the past couple of months, I've been plodding my way through Ulysses. :meh: It's not going well. I keep zoning out while reading it. I think I've read about 6 or 8 other books since I started it. I'm determined to get through it eventually, though. :crack:

I read Lolita for the first time a few months back (may have overlapped the beginning of Ulysses, if I recall correctly) and I was blown away. Amazing piece of literature.

Ulysses is one of those books I've never gotten around to reading. I know I should, but I also know it's going to be a mammoth task.

I posted this in a different thread not realizing this thread existed :reject: (Thanks corianderstem :up: )

Copy of the post:

I'll admit that I'm not a reader :reject:. Occasionally something will grab my attention by being written up in a magazine or a writer appearing on a show promoting his/her book. Many times I never get around to it (again :reject: ). So a friend sent me something, which turns out to be an excerpt from a book, and it's quite interesting/fascinating. I searched to see if this was posted here (obviously not, since this thread is several months old and the book is rather recent). It didn't appear in FYM either. Has anyone read this? I may just have to pick it up, or see if my friend already did so I can borrow it.

"Where Have All the Leaders Gone?"
By Lee Iacocca with Catherine Whitney

FC1416532471.jpg

Also, should it be mentioned or brought up in FYM, or is everyone there set in their ways, and would it be pointless bickering?

meegannie said:

Impressive. Both for the effort and for the choice of books.

I saw you have Engleby by Sebastian Faulks? Have you read it yet? It doesn't come out until the fall here, but I have seen some reviews that say it isn't as good as his other works. Not that those would stop me from reading it.

Calling all book lovers ... have you seen this site?

Library Thing

Catelogue your books! Rate your books! Get recommendations! See who else has all the U2 books you have!

It's pretty cool.

A limited membership is free, but since I have so many books, I paid $10 for a year. A good deal ... let's see if I use the site more than a few times.

I just finished "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch. Excellent book. The writing was so poetic and lyrical. Sometime soon, I'll rent the movie, which I'm sure wouldn't be much like the book but I want to see it anyway.

Next, "Marie Antoinette" by Antonia Fraser. I've been meaning to read it for a while, especially since the movie with Kirsten Dunst. After that, "God's Politics" by Jim Wallis.

Good friends of mine actually know Janet Fitch. We were at their house once for a party, and he introduced us (not that I spoke to her or anything). And I had just recently seen the movie White Oleander. I believe the Oprah bookclub catapulted her career (I think, I'd have to ask him again)

Don't read fictional books anymore to be honest. Used to like mystery novels and stuff.

Now I just read mags and books about music and sport.

Speaking of comics, I picked up the first issue of the new Buffy season, which is in comic book form. I keep forgetting I have it and need to read it.

Which also means I'm, like, two issues/episodes behind already. oops!

There's an interesting story over on Yahoo today about the increasing number of literary authors trying their hand at graphic novels and comic books. The article mentions Jonathan Lethem and Michael Chabon, among others.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070513/ap_en_ot/books_comic_books;_ylt=Ak1hRz9UZl2x1gC7IH3Jt31xFb8C

I reorganized my books a few weeks ago, and I realized how many I have that I haven't actually gotten around to reading. It's been awhile since I've had a lot of time to read, so I don't really know where to start again.

After a couple of months of stopping and starting I've finally finished Joyce's Ulysses.

Wow. :crack: It was an incredibly hard read. I'd often find myself drifting while reading it, and then not even having a clue what I'd just read on the previous page, and having to go back and reread.

Maybe it's just me and my low-brow tastes talking, but I found it to be an over-hyped, pretentious, stream-of-consciousness set of ramblings. :shrug:

I'm curious as to what others have thought. Comments?

corianderstem said:
I haven't. I'd heard mixed things about it. Have you read it? What did you think?

haven't read it, but the book club i'm a member of has it on sale, so i thought of ordering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom