books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i love the portrait of dorian gray - it really is a good book - i hope you enjoy it. Wilde was a true literary genius. i always read whatever year group i am teaching the selfish giant. Anyone that can entertain adults and children is truly multi-talented. Like our Bono - his illustrations for Peter and the Wolf were fab.!!:bono: :wave:

I think I'm the only one at Interference who likes Terry Pratchett.

sad-smiley-068.gif

U2Man said:
i just ordered the picture of dorian gray.

Rockin book:rockon:

You would be surprised to see how many times it comes up in pub quizzes as 'name the only novel written by Oscar Wilde?'

If anyone love's ancient History or even doesn't I highly reccomed Tom Holland's Persian Fire.

It follows the story of Athen's and Sparta against the Persian horde of Xerxes, it has a really great narrative making it read more like a great novel than a history book, it is quite exciting, plus some of the quotes from ancient Spartans are either very cool or funny, they seemingly invented action movie dialogue:wink:

As I said it centres on the Greco-Persian conflict but it shows its relevance to modern life with questions such as if the Persians had succeeded in subjugating the Greeks, would the West of today exist with its ideals of democracy and freedom? It is the first major instance of East vs West, and is very even handed throughout showing how civilised the Persians really were that Greek sources obviously did not want people to believe.

Yeah anyway it is a hugely entertaining read and now I need to get Holland's first book Rubicon.

Babydoll said:
has anyone seen the movie to kill a mockingbird? the trial is sooo sad :sad:

Yes it is very sad as well as thought provoking.The issues addressed in that book are still valid to this day.

I was forced to read the book when I was in high school and I am so glad I did. I don't recall another time when I was adamant on speaking out about a book.

Carmelu2fan said:

Yes it is very sad as well as thought provoking.The issues addressed in that book are still valid to this day.

I was forced to read the book when I was in high school and I am so glad I did. I don't recall another time when I was adamant on speaking out about a book.

After reading the book than watching the movie it had quite the impact on me. John Grishams' "A Time To Kill" is another favorite of mine. So horrible though that events like this actually happened.

Last edited:
To Kill a Mockingbird is in my opinion, the best book ever. It deserved all the awards it got and more. I spent so much last year getting a first-edition for my ex-best-friend as a Christmas present, and I don't even celebrate Xmas. We fell out soon after and she sold my book on ebay and kept the money. I was telling Wayne, reading it sort of gives you a whole new perspective on life. I know it changed me for the better in so many ways!

No spoken words said:

You think wrong.

Well, people should speak up, then. :wink: Whenever a book thread comes around, I mention Terry Pratchett and get no responses. He really is one of the funniest authors around and I just can't wait until the next Discworld book.

GibsonGirl said:

Well, people should speak up, then. :wink: Whenever a book thread comes around, I mention Terry Pratchett and get no responses. He really is one of the funniest authors around and I just can't wait until the next Discworld book.

"People" might be the wrong word here, might have to go with "person". :)

I like a ton of authors, actually, but do not want to use this thread to ram any of them down anyone's throat. Mentioned a few early on, and now have just been reading along. To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic, and I'd hope anyone that wanted to post in a thread about books would have already read and enjoyed that book. I'm hoping people come in here and name some books or authors I'm not already familiar with, so I can check him/her out.

My introduction to Pratchett was "Good Omens" which he wrote with another author I like a lot, Neil Gaiman.

No spoken words said:

"People" might be the wrong word here, might have to go with "person". :)

My introduction to Pratchett was "Good Omens" which he wrote with another author I like a lot, Neil Gaiman.

Perhaps. :lol: My introduction to Pratchett was J.K. Rowling, actually...when I was a lot younger, I often used to sift through Harry Potter reviews on Amazon, and the name Terry Pratchett came up a few times. So I picked up the first book of his I could find in the library (Carpe Jugulum, not exactly the best place to start!) and instantly fell in love. What a sense of humour!

Anyway, has anyone else here read anything by Bryce Courtenay? I first read The Power Of One (probably my favourite book) years and years ago, because it's somewhat of an obligatory thing to do when you're South African. I'm only just starting to get into his other work...currently reading Four Fires, which is about a "bush" family in Australia during the 1950s. Very good, so far.

GibsonGirl said:
I think I'm the only one at Interference who likes Terry Pratchett.

sad-smiley-068.gif

He did a reading of one of his books at my high school. I'm not a fan though so didn't take one bit of notice. :reject:

Theres quite alot of books in this thread i should try read. A trip to the library for me soon i think. :hmm:

Books.

:drool:

I've heard loads of good things about Good Omens, but it's still sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I'll get around to reading it eventually.

I've read two of Neil Gaiman's books and really enjoyed those. That was a pleasant surprise - I didn't think he would be up my alley.

I'm still slogging through The World According to Garp, and finally, after about 200 pages, I'm getting into it.

corianderstem said:
I've heard loads of good things about Good Omens, but it's still sitting on my shelf gathering dust. I'll get around to reading it eventually.

I've read two of Neil Gaiman's books and really enjoyed those. That was a pleasant surprise - I didn't think he would be up my alley.

I'm still slogging through The World According to Garp, and finally, after about 200 pages, I'm getting into it.

Garp's great. So is Gaiman. Which 2 Gaiman books did you read?

Neverwhere was my introduction to Gaiman...an ex of mine worshipped him and his graphic novels, and basically told me to start reading his stuff or we'd be done. I like Gaiman a hell of a lot more than I like her now. :)

Your sig has not gotten old yet, still cracks me up.

BonosBaby12 said:

After reading the book than watching the movie it had quite the impact on me. John Grishams' "A Time To Kill" is another favorite of mine. So horrible though that events like this actually happened.

John Grisham did impress me with "A Time To Kill". He not only addressed racial issues but moral ones as well... He asked the reader what would you do if someone hurt your beloved? Is there such a thing as "justifiable homicide'? Excellent, book indeed BB12.

Aw man, this was on page 4! :(

I'm in the middle of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which takes place in nineteenth century rural China, and it's very good.

But let me just say that even though the chapter where the main character has her feet bound was over 50 pages ago, I'm still horrified and tucking my sweet little feet under me protectively.

Egads.

corianderstem said:
Neverwhere and American Gods, which I loved.

I'm just finishing Gaiman's Anansi Boys and have really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his work. I'm going to read Smoke and Mirrors next, a collection of his short stories. I'm going to try to get Good Omens soon, too.

In fact, I've been on a reading binge since Christmas, and intentionally sought this thread, looking for book suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I think it was Lance, earlier in the thread, who mentioned Lisey's Story? Funny, that's the book that got me started on this most recent binge. Loved it. Nearly read the whole thing in one sitting.

Last edited:
Stephen King made a rare public appearance at my workplace (he was in town to do some sort of Seattle library function), and it was pretty awesome. So I have to brag about my autographed copy of Lisey's Story ... which I haven't read yet. But will!

I recently read Colors Insulting to Nature by Cintra Wilson, which was bizarre and pretty funny. It's about a young girl who desperately wants to be famous ... and about other things as well, but that's kind of the focal point of the main character.

Now I'm reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld (who would have guessed that Curtis was a woman? Not I.), about a girl's high school experience at a boarding school. It's pretty good, but I don't completely love it.

VintagePunk said:

I'm just finishing Gaiman's Anansi Boys and have really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his work. I'm going to read Smoke and Mirrors next, a collection of his short stories. I'm going to try to get Good Omens soon, too.

In fact, I've been on a reading binge since Christmas, and intentionally sought this thread, looking for book suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

I think it was Lance, earlier in the thread, who mentioned Lisey's Story? Funny, that's the book that got me started on this most recent binge. Loved it. Nearly read the whole thing in one sitting.

Gaiman's awesome, VP. Even his graphic novels were amazing. If I were you, I'd make my way through everything of his, eventually.

Anyone in here heard of, or even like, Gene Wolfe? Probably not, but, what the hell.....

LJT said:

Rockin book:rockon:

You would be surprised to see how many times it comes up in pub quizzes as 'name the only novel written by Oscar Wilde?'

If anyone love's ancient History or even doesn't I highly reccomed Tom Holland's Persian Fire.

It follows the story of Athen's and Sparta against the Persian horde of Xerxes, it has a really great narrative making it read more like a great novel than a history book, it is quite exciting, plus some of the quotes from ancient Spartans are either very cool or funny, they seemingly invented action movie dialogue:wink:

As I said it centres on the Greco-Persian conflict but it shows its relevance to modern life with questions such as if the Persians had succeeded in subjugating the Greeks, would the West of today exist with its ideals of democracy and freedom? It is the first major instance of East vs West, and is very even handed throughout showing how civilised the Persians really were that Greek sources obviously did not want people to believe.

Yeah anyway it is a hugely entertaining read and now I need to get Holland's first book Rubicon.

just finished picture of dorian gray. short but wonderful book.

has anyone read "the idiot" by dostojevski?

corianderstem said:
Stephen King made a rare public appearance at my workplace (he was in town to do some sort of Seattle library function), and it was pretty awesome. So I have to brag about my autographed copy of Lisey's Story ... which I haven't read yet. But will!

I am envious beyond belief. He's like the U2 of literature to me. Been reading him since I was a kid, and I have almost his complete collection in hardcover.

What was he like?

He was very funny and was a good speaker, but he was a lot older and more frail in person than I would have imagined.

That accident sure took a lot out of him. I understand that's partly the reason why he doesn't do a lot of public appearances. You could see he was slow moving around, that he was careful in all his movements.

corianderstem said:
He was very funny and was a good speaker, but he was a lot older and more frail in person than I would have imagined.

That accident sure took a lot out of him. I understand that's partly the reason why he doesn't do a lot of public appearances. You could see he was slow moving around, that he was careful in all his movements.

Have you read much of his work? It seems to me that much of it in recent years has almost been used as a vehicle for working through his accident. Nonetheless, I'm grateful that his self-proclaimed 'retirement' has not exactly come to pass, and he's still fairly prolific. It's sad though, hearing of his physical impairments. :(

Let me know what you think of Lisey's Story, when you get to it. :)

Yes, I went through a huuuuuuuuuge King phase back in junior high, where I read almost everything he'd written. Then I didn't read much of it for a while.

I've read some of his more recent work and have really enjoyed it, particularly Hearts In Atlantis, which I LOVED.

I also really loved On Writing, in which he talks a lot about the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom