Bono Undergoes Surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which one's are you looking for, the one's of him at the hotel, the one of him with his PA or the one of him with Guggi? Coz they're all still there you just have to look through all the pages! :shrug:

Exercise is excellent for all of us. But I used to hate it when we had sports day or PE at school. We were made to wear these things called knicker shorts which when you’re an 11-16 year old girl, only makes you feel more insecure about your body. During the winter it was beyond freezing. Plus our outdoor swimming pool wasn’t heated and if all this wasn’t bad enough our games teacher was an absolute bastard who’d take pleasure in humiliating those of us who weren’t particularly sporty in front of the whole class. All the games that I would’ve actually quite enjoyed doing, such as, football and rugby, as girls, we wasn’t allowed to do because they are contact sports. Instead we had to do boring games such as fringin’ netball!

There were other games such as tennis, badmington and squash, but I was absolutely crap at all of them! I didn’t particularly enjoy cross-country running either. I do like walking though and once I got the hang of it I used to be good at swimming. I do stress used to be because I last went swimming a few years ago and discovered that I’ve lost the ability to move or even keep myself afloat in the water. It was just like when I first started swimming. I had no breath control whatsoever.

Also I feel that I owe you all an apology. The posts in EYKIW thread had made me jump to all sort of conclusions.

I’m going to be honest and say that I haven’t read the statement that the Edge said after this accident. I only read bits from the statement of what Benji had posted and implied on what Edge meant. For a short while, I thought that when the Edge said that Bono likes to cut corners and that he and the band will sit on him to ensure that he doesn’t cut corners this time, I thought that this meant that Bono is the type of person who goes against doctors advice, even if it’s clear that his health could suffer as a result. This is why I got angry because I know people like that and I just think that this kind of attitude is completely selfish. You may not care about yourself but what about those around you who love and need you in their lives?

However after reading what some of you have said I’ve come to the conclusion that what Edge meant is that Bono loves being on stage and perform for fans. What LU and others have said made me realize that this was the case. Dumo Kun said that he’d been touring with back issues last year but he didn’t want to miss a night. Footballer Dario Simic was the same. Once he was badly injured before a game from a sustained injury whereby he had been out of his team Internazionale for several months. However he failed to tell the coach Marcello Lippi because he’d been out of his favourite game for so long and didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity to be in the starting line up against Reggina. After 15 minutes Lippi noticed that he was badly injured and so he substituted him. He maybe didn’t want to make a fuss either.

I’ve just read the statement in this thread BTW. Edge was being humorous when he said that they will tie him down but then this poster seems to have as much humour as an ass stuffed with burning haemorrhoids so obviously this joke was lost on him.

Poor Dr Muller. He’s been practically accused of manslaughter. I know the Brazilian player Ronaldo has seen Dr Muller after he had suffered for years with a thigh injury. At one point it had gotten so bad that doctors had warned him that he was also at risk from paralysis. He’s injury first occurred in 1997. The following year everything seemed fine only for this sustained injury to re-occur just before the World Cup Final against France. He also was so eager to play that the night before they were reports that he’d suffered convulsions after OD’ing on some drugs in the hope that they’d help to ease the pain.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he was out of the game for the best part of the following 4 years, making the occasional return for his club Internazionale whereby he’d reinjured himself after being on the pitch for just 5 minutes. Even when he did make a full return in 2002 he wasn’t at his best. However, a few months latter at the 2002 World Cup he’d proved all his doubters wrong as he beat the record for the highest number of goals scored at the tournament.

This wouldn’t have been possible if it wasn’t for DR Muller’s treatment, because all other treatment had failed.

However after reading what some of you have said I’ve come to the conclusion that what Edge meant is that Bono loves being on stage and perform for fans. What LU and others have said made me realize that this was the case. Dumo Kun said that he’d been touring with back issues last year but he didn’t want to miss a night. Footballer Dario Simic was the same. Once he was badly injured before a game from a sustained injury whereby he had been out of his team Internazionale for several months. However he failed to tell the coach Marcello Lippi because he’d been out of his favourite game for so long and didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity to be in the starting line up against Reggina. After 15 minutes Lippi noticed that he was badly injured and so he substituted him. He maybe didn’t want to make a fuss either.

I just think it's unfair to place blame or call someone selfish when they are injured accidentally. No one knows with absolute certainty what is wrong with them at all times, otherwise we'd ALL be world class physicians.

I use to be a competitive gymnast. Many times some of the best gymnasts have competed in major competitions with severe injuries like broken bones. Sometimes they know, but sometimes they don't. At high levels of sport it's unlikely that an athlete is 100% healthy and competing without any pain whatsoever. You do that for long enough and a broken bone doesn't always hurt enough to make you think you have a severe injury.

It's not always about not wanting to make a fuss or wanting to remain the center of attention. Sometimes people just genuinely don't know. For example my grandpa was having some abdominal pain and at first he thought it was maybe gas or something bad he ate so he waited it out a bit. When he went to the hospital he had a major hernia and gangrenous tissue in his abdomen, but he had no idea what that feels like, to him the pain was just a stomach ache and only because of his age did we tell him to go in.

Again, we still have no details on what caused the injury or what really even happened so this is all just anecdote vs. anecdote.

Dumo Kun said that he’d been touring with back issues last year but he didn’t want to miss a night.

I think you are referring to me here , with a minor spel error. :reject:
But I just want to make clear, that in that post I didn't know for sure, but it looked like he had back issues. Because Adam Caylton was supporting him, and Bono looked quite painfull.

Still dindn't know for 100% sure, you know.

Also I feel that I owe you all an apology. The posts in EYKIW thread had made me jump to all sort of conclusions.

I’m going to be honest and say that I haven’t read the statement that the Edge said after this accident. I only read bits from the statement of what Benji had posted and implied on what Edge meant. For a short while, I thought that when the Edge said that Bono likes to cut corners and that he and the band will sit on him to ensure that he doesn’t cut corners this time, I thought that this meant that Bono is the type of person who goes against doctors advice, even if it’s clear that his health could suffer as a result. This is why I got angry because I know people like that and I just think that this kind of attitude is completely selfish. You may not care about yourself but what about those around you who love and need you in their lives?

I’ve just read the statement in this thread BTW. Edge was being humorous when he said that they will tie him down but then this poster seems to have as much humour as an ass stuffed with burning haemorrhoids so obviously this joke was lost on him.

It's okay, Annie.

I think you were worried for Bono. Just like everyone else.

We are of different ages, ethnic diversity and life experiences. We can only react to. With what we know and have personally, experienced in our lives.

A poster, let's say. Who is in the Medical Profession will have a different point of view, on surgery, than a lay person. My step-daughter is an orthopedic surgical nurse and discusses all procedures, in clinical terms. It is what she was trained to do.

I don't think that anyone here. Meant any malice or intended to frighten.

I just think it's unfair to place blame or call someone selfish when they are injured accidentally. No one knows with absolute certainty what is wrong with them at all times, otherwise we'd ALL be world class physicians.

I use to be a competitive gymnast. Many times some of the best gymnasts have competed in major competitions with severe injuries like broken bones. Sometimes they know, but sometimes they don't. At high levels of sport it's unlikely that an athlete is 100% healthy and competing without any pain whatsoever. You do that for long enough and a broken bone doesn't always hurt enough to make you think you have a severe injury.

It's not always about not wanting to make a fuss or wanting to remain the center of attention. Sometimes people just genuinely don't know. For example my grandpa was having some abdominal pain and at first he thought it was maybe gas or something bad he ate so he waited it out a bit. When he went to the hospital he had a major hernia and gangrenous tissue in his abdomen, but he had no idea what that feels like, to him the pain was just a stomach ache and only because of his age did we tell him to go in.

Again, we still have no details on what caused the injury or what really even happened so this is all just anecdote vs. anecdote.

Excellent point about sports related injuries! Also, about the not knowing. :up:

I didn't realize, either. I had a bulging lumbar disc problem. I thought at first, the dull ache in my right leg, was just pulled muscle. No big deal. Had a pulled muscle before. From training in the Martial Arts. Until, I woke up one morning and was in so much pain. I could hardly walk. It was only then, I knew. For sure. It was a much more serious problem.

I think you are referring to me here , with a minor spel error. :reject:
But I just want to make clear, that in that post I didn't know for sure, but it looked like he had back issues. Because Adam Caylton was supporting him, and Bono looked quite painfull.

Still dindn't know for 100% sure, you know.

Which show are you referring to? I think Bono has had back issues for quite some time now, I don't know how bad they were on the 360 tour, but at the shows I went to, he didn't look like he was in pain. I saw several pictures and videos of Adam "supporting" him but I never thought it was because he was in pain. I know he was terribly hungover in Cardiff and there are some scenes where he's holding onto Adam, but I think it was because he was hungover and hadn't got enough sleep the night before. I don't think Bono could move like he did on stage if he really had back pain.

I have no idea which date it was, and maybe he was hungover, but how do you know for 100% if he was really that hungover?

^ Because a lot of people who were there said so and Bono said so himself at the show. I recently listened to the bootleg. They had been at Andrea Corr's wedding the night before. :D

:lol: LOL. What a dork. Ah , its Bono.

well. Its just like I said. You can never know for sure. Maybe he was hungover more than once.

Sustain means to prolong and others have said that he's lost that 'concerned' look in his face. I thought myself that he seems to carrying a look as though he was in deep concentration this past year but I thought that was just me.

I think that it's better to undergo surgery and physio now rather than years latter down the line whereby it's likely to get much worse and he may genuinly require a lumber fusion op. He should feel better than he has done in 9 years. I agree that it's selfish what peole were saying on banners at Glastonburry. Maybe they want him to end up experiencing painful muscles spams and to lose 25% of his flexibility. Hopefully his treatment now will prevent further damage years latter.

I didn't know that Larry had to undergo back surgery in 1995 but how do we know that the others haven't also had to undergo surgery? It helps me to think that 2 years ago Adam had to have his piles surgically removed and once Edge had to undergo surgery so that his elbow could be lodged into place after he suffered a double fracture after playing trampoline with his kids in the garden. Most accidents happen within the garden and the home. It will help me personally to think this way because I don't see why it always has to be Bono who has to undergo surgery. However, as people have said a few times it's mostly Bono who has a need for publicity but most people don't. Bono is quite a histrionic person.

Going through a divorce or community service because of a drug offense doesn't mean that you are at risk from either being practically brain dead or paralysed apart from your right arm all because the surgeon has injected the wrong fluid into your spine. This are the type of horror stories I've heard in the News.

It also helps me to think that he was in a hostel rather than a hospital. I could even think to myself that he was at a university dorm because the clinic was a university hos-pi-tal. As it was a private clinic it was likely that inside it would look more like a hotel rather than a hospital. I've seen them on telly. Whilst he was in their he could catch up with his reading and writing. He can still watch TV and listen to the radio. There are probably rooms where he could go on the internet and read newspapers. So in the end it was probably more like a break at a health farm rather than a sterile hospital. He doesn't want to miss out on all the gossip either as he wasn't in prison, so although it is good for the others to take charge of details for once, it doesn't mean that he should be cut out.

I know it made me smile madly! I was so happy , :cute: They are so cute. And I'm really REALLY glad to hear that they have been recording.

Someone mentioned that it's better to have this surgery at 40 rather than 50 and when I asked about why exactly I didn't get a reply but I think I found some answers when I looked through a book on medicines. Although it considers anyone over 60 to be elderly in medical terms but I consider an elderly person to be aged 75 and over.

Anyway, it says that as we get older the liver and the kidney's become less efficient at removing drugs from the body and that their are fewer receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. This just means that dosage needs to be adjusted according to age. The way the type of surgery that Bono undergone has been explained to me doesn't sound that major or invassive. It probably took just under an hour, so he wouldn't need to be given something like an antichonergic or an opiod analgesic. Does general anesthetic affect people of his age adversly?

A Stor also emntioned about weight and she also commented that Bono must have good muscle tone in order to be and moving so quickly. I've heard that there is an additional risk associated with weight because adverse affects are more likely if someone's BMI is above 25. However, when I checked out Dario Simic's BMI it claimed that he was overweight for his height. This is complete bull because even though like most footballers he's not very big, his muscles will weigh more than fat. My former science teacher said that according to the BMI chart she was overweight which if you ever met her you'd know that she was far from being overweight. She said that this chart should only be used as a rough guide.

But bono is not fat and his surgery was inevasive.

Wow! Thanks for the info. :heart:

Bono looks amazing! :hug: I am glad he is doing so well.

Bono, doesn't have to say sorry. It wasn't his fault. At all. Looking forward to seeing U2 next summer!

Someone mentioned that it's better to have this surgery at 40 rather than 50 and when I asked about why exactly I didn't get a reply but I think I found some answers when I looked through a book on medicines. Although it considers anyone over 60 to be elderly in medical terms but I consider an elderly person to be aged 75 and over.

Anyway, it says that as we get older the liver and the kidney's become less efficient at removing drugs from the body and that their are fewer receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. This just means that dosage needs to be adjusted according to age. The way the type of surgery that Bono undergone has been explained to me doesn't sound that major or invassive. It probably took just under an hour, so he wouldn't need to be given something like an antichonergic or an opiod analgesic. Does general anesthetic affect people of his age adversly?

A Stor also emntioned about weight and she also commented that Bono must have good muscle tone in order to be and moving so quickly. I've heard that there is an additional risk associated with weight because adverse affects are more likely if someone's BMI is above 25. However, when I checked out Dario Simic's BMI it claimed that he was overweight for his height. This is complete bull because even though like most footballers he's not very big, his muscles will weigh more than fat. My former science teacher said that according to the BMI chart she was overweight which if you ever met her you'd know that she was far from being overweight. She said that this chart should only be used as a rough guide.

But bono is not fat and his surgery was inevasive.

Annie, bring you questions to the Lemonade Stand. There is a thread about health, back surgery and etc. :wave:

Wooooow! :loveshower::happydance: I´m soooo happy to see him again! He looks very VERY VERY GOOD:applaud: and healthy :cute:
His HAIR :love::love::love: his smile :love: his good mood :love: his HAIR again :love::wink:

Annie, please stop spamming this thread :eyebrow:

Great video, they all look good, so relieved to see and hear Bono again, he hasn't lost his sense of humour which is a good sign, fabulous news :up: But he really doesn't have to apologize for anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom