Bono Undergoes Surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the only explanation for it. Dr Muller methods are on the basis of a speedy rather than a safe recovery.

Hold on. You said that it was during a work out rather than an accident. I read the statement, it said sustained injury. I read it on BBC entertainment news and exactly the same thing on Sky's showbiz news.

100% careless. He's 50. He must have learnt that lesson. When you're back is poorly then you are more careful.

I find people on this sub forum to be quite negative. I've read comments about when Bono had to undergo throat surgery just so his dr could rule out cancer. Someone criticised the rest of the band for not utilizing their ability in mind reading so they can tell what was going on even though he said he never told anyone. Why was that their fault?

Also, someone questioned the ability of the surgeon to put him under aneasthetic without killing him! I just hate the feeling of being put out, I do not question the ability of doctors. That scenerio is extreamely minute. When my mum had to have her cataracts removed I never said "you could go blind" " what if it all goes wrong". She had the surgery but there was another women who was too scarred. Would you be like this with a loved one "don't remove your cataracts mum, the doctor could slip his scalpal." You're meant to be positive. Stop being negative.

Annie,

You can't live your life as to. "What if this happens?" Because, "what if" may never occur. Life is meant to be embraced. Enjoy, today!

I know this is a little off topic...I'm sorry about that.

When. I had a serious back injury. I didn't curl up and hide away. I recovered and life my life to the fullest.

I don't know. What will happen. Abnormal spinal curvature, degenerative disc problems, do run in my family. But, I keep up with my exercise, everyday. I can't upset myself by worrying. Will I have lumbar fusion surgery? When, I am sixty. Like my mom did. I have always been more athletic, than she was.

I will cross that bridge, only when and if, it happens.

Ya know I'm all for debate and exchanging of ideas but this discussion has become the proverbial beating of a dead horse! We can continue to 'what if' until we're blue in the face! :huh: But the reality is, what's done is done, we can have all the hindsight up the wazoo, but it won't change anything. :shrug: I really think some people need to accept what as happened and just move on already!! :bump:

^ I agree.......Bono had surgery. He had an excellent surgeon. It was a complete success. Thank God.

I am happy for him. Everyone here is.

Bono needs some personal time to recover. No paps bugging him.

Bono will be fine. I am looking forward to seeing all of the concert pics of U2. Of course, when Bono is able to perform.

Take your time Bono. Please, don't rush it. All of us. Want, only what is best for you.
In the US. 2011 will be your summer. We will embrace you with open arms.

You know guys, if you want this thread to die, stop posting in it. Stop feeding the troll more food for more ridiculous comments. Just ignore it and it'll go away.

No, what this thread needs is like waaay more anecdotal evidence, because you know guys, one time I had this back pain so I know EXACTLY what is going on with Bono..... :wink:

Look! my emotions fit in a spoiler
:corn: --> :blahblah: --> :shrug: --> :blahblah: --> :uhoh: --> :blahblah: -->:gah:

But how does one "seek out" surgery for something that hasn't happened yet? That is my point. The only official statements made about Bono's surgery say that he was injured while rehearsing and needed emergency surgery. Say tomorrow I am injured in a work related accident....what could I have done today to "seek out" some surgery to somehow prevent the accident? For all we know, Bono could have fallen off the stage and broken his back then and there, something completely unrelated to previous back pain, something totally different than sciatica, degenerative disease, and all the other diagnoses the armchair doctors have been making on these boards. I'm not saying that's what happened, but the point is that WE don't know and maybe never will, and the official statements about his condition say nothing about him being in pain and undergoing years of previous treatment before "seeking out" surgery for this problem.

I don't buy this "rehearsing" thing one bit.

How do you rehearse for a tour when your guitarist is still in New York, in his very own words from the Skype message, packing?

I don't buy this "rehearsing" thing one bit.

How do you rehearse for a tour when your guitarist is still in New York, in his very own words from the Skype message, packing?

They had been together in NY for weeks, rehearsing. Official rehearsals in the SLC stadium were just about to begin. Bono and Edge both flew to Cannes, possibly to celebrate Bono's birthday with family and friends, and Edge after that flew back to NY while Bono went straight to Munich where, a couple of days later, he had surgery. The injury certainly didn't happen during "rehearsals", I don't know who said that, everyone just said "during preparations for the tour", so that probably means some kind of workout where B overdid it and hurt himself. I'm sure he was to catch up with Edge and the rest of the band in NY, but instead he had to go to the clinic.

"In preparation of touring." Some of us thought, band rehersals. It was an honest mistake.

I was so glad to see that everything for Bono is going well. Back surgery is scary. He looks wonderful. Considering what he has been through. Keep it up Bono! Each day, it will get better. :hug:

They had been together in NY for weeks, rehearsing. Official rehearsals in the SLC stadium were just about to begin. Bono and Edge both flew to Cannes, possibly to celebrate Bono's birthday with family and friends, and Edge after that flew back to NY while Bono went straight to Munich where, a couple of days later, he had surgery. The injury certainly didn't happen during "rehearsals", I don't know who said that, everyone just said "during preparations for the tour", so that probably means some kind of workout where B overdid it and hurt himself. I'm sure he was to catch up with Edge and the rest of the band in NY, but instead he had to go to the clinic.

One piece of information I haven't seen anywhere else was in Hot Press (an always reliable source for U2 info). They said the injury occurred five days before the surgery.

One piece of information I haven't seen anywhere else was in Hot Press (an always reliable source for U2 info). They said the injury occurred five days before the surgery.

Possibly. German fans saw Bono on Munich airport some days before the surgery, there were reports that he couldn't walk on his own and was in great pain. Something happened, Bono maybe thought he could handle it with some kind of treatment, but it got worse and surgery became necessary. Edge also said something like that. We don't know exactly what happened, maybe Bono will tell one day, maybe he won't, but everyone just has to accept that it happened but there's no need to speculate about how exactly he got injured. The most important thing for Bono now is to make a full recovery.

I'm new here, so it would only be logical that I'm not sucking up or taking sides or what not. I'm a very silent/passive type of person. But I would have to say that I agree with LU. No one WANTS to hurt themselves. To say that Bono was being careless is just, well, don't find me rude, just kind of out of the question. What he does, and what the rest of the band does, is for us, the fans. Edge said himself that Bono was very down and feels like he's let us down. I agree with LU and the rest of the gals when I say that I don't really care when/how Bono got hurt or which doctor he chooses just as long as he's comfortable with that doctor. All I care about is that he gets better and doesn't end up seriously hurt.
And I agree that we need to take care of ourselves and our body, but sometimes we don't know when our body is going to take a downfall. Accidents happen and we can't control them.

I hope that wasn't too over the top.

I'm new here, so it would only be logical that I'm not sucking up or taking sides or what not. I'm a very silent/passive type of person. But I would have to say that I agree with LU. No one WANTS to hurt themselves. To say that Bono was being careless is just, well, don't find me rude, just kind of out of the question. What he does, and what the rest of the band does, is for us, the fans. Edge said himself that Bono was very down and feels like he's let us down. I agree with LU and the rest of the gals when I say that I don't really care when/how Bono got hurt or which doctor he chooses just as long as he's comfortable with that doctor. All I care about is that he gets better and doesn't end up seriously hurt.
And I agree that we need to take care of ourselves and our body, but sometimes we don't know when our body is going to take a downfall. Accidents happen and we can't control them.

I hope that wasn't too over the top.

I completely agree.....no one enjoys a sever back injury. Or surgery. And for anyone who thought Bono got some kind of pleasure from the kind of pain he was in.....well, that's just insane.

And you nailed it. Bono was not being careless, at all. I always thought Bono was physically fit. Muscular, not fat. And, he still is. Sometimes things just happen. It wasn't his fault. It is impossible, for any one to deliberately cause their own lumbar disc, to have a small fragment break loose and float around in their Spinal Canal.

And again, you are absolutely correct. No one knows when our bodies will take a downfall or have an accident. We can't control it.

The few pics I have seen. Bono looks fantastic! Thank God. He is recovering quite well. Because, he is athletic. It is good to see him walking and getting some fresh air.

whew! that's good. :sexywink:

exactly A stor! I'm 21 and have carpal tunnel. Did I know I would get it? No. Could I have prevented it? Probably not really considering my age and how rare it is for someone my age to get it. It sucks. No one wants to be in pain!

And yes, I was very very surprised Bono out so early and walking. I never found him overweight, just very muscular and think about it, how could he not be muscular, ya know? His whole life pretty much he's been running about large stages night after night after night. When I took my friend to see U23D she was just in awe and said, "How does he find the energy? I would crash after a half hour!" LOL! And we're like, thirty years younger than him.

My bottom line is: I just want him to get better and not be in pain anymore. That's all I care about and I know that's all a lot of us care about.

whew! that's good. :sexywink:

exactly A stor! I'm 21 and have carpal tunnel. Did I know I would get it? No. Could I have prevented it? Probably not really considering my age and how rare it is for someone my age to get it. It sucks. No one wants to be in pain!

Me, too, both hands, though I'm a bit older, but I've been having problems for years. It does suck.

I'm sorry so to hear that, Love and Logic and LU.

Carpal Tunnel is very painful. My mom had several surgeries for it and it only helped her for a while. I will keep you both, in my prayers, tonight. :hug: :hug:

And no, neither one of you caused yourselves to have this painful disease. It is not your fault.

Possibly. German fans saw Bono on Munich airport some days before the surgery, there were reports that he couldn't walk on his own and was in great pain. Something happened, Bono maybe thought he could handle it with some kind of treatment, but it got worse and surgery became necessary. Edge also said something like that. We don't know exactly what happened, maybe Bono will tell one day, maybe he won't, but everyone just has to accept that it happened but there's no need to speculate about how exactly he got injured. The most important thing for Bono now is to make a full recovery.

Sometimes people can wake up and be unable to moved. So do you think he got off the plane and couldn't walk? He probably undergone PT and gentle exercises and this is what the Edge probably meant as a race against time. So what happened on 21 May was a Godsend because sometimes surgery is an absolute. He must feel so much better and happier now.

Although Benji did say that sometimes doctor's do not know what to do for the best sort of treatment. He mentioned about an American Footballer who injured his neck but after weeks of PT he was walking again. Neck injuries are more dangerous than lumber injuries so I still suspect that some naughty German doctor adviced him in terms of speed rather than safety, and this probably works for some people. But this is why he felt so poorly on the Monday before the accident. But as I said, what happened after was a God send to him. He must keep away from this doctor. You can't just say if he trusts him then he's ok. If I knew someone who's doctor was giving them bad advice I'd plead with them to stop seeing them because I cared about them.

Oh, and btw, I read in a medical book that the spinal cord canel contains grey matter in the middle and is surrounded by white matter. Probably like a bone marrow. So they can't be described as floating around. Benji said that most of the risk from Bono's injury was the nerve compression not the disc fragments.

I don't know in Bono's case, but in my case the recuperation was painful, I am much better now, I don't have the pain going down my legs, sometimes it hurts round the area of the surgery, but it's because of the internal scar, nothing to do with what I was having before and I feel much safer now because I know that the disk has been reinforced and is not in danger of breaking up. This kind of surgery has many risks, that's why doctors use it as the last option, but the results for me are espectacular, I hope it is the same for him.

Please may I ask you a question? Did you have to be fitted with graft and/or rods and if so is it true what Benji said about surgery causing 25% of your motor function and have to undergo pain management for extreamly painful muscles spasms? Because this is what I read on another sub forum. Can I also ask LU the same question please? You said that you had the same operation 2 years ago. I do hope both of you are feeling fit now.

But then we don't know the extent of his surgery and injury so that's whay I'm very confused. I presume that if he needed rods then what Benji says about this is true but I wouldn't want it to be true. I want Bono to be like his old self before this happened just as much as everyone else does. A Stor said that when she had her injury her doctor requested a series of scans whereby he/she ensured all the spaces between the discs were evenly spaced. She also said that was also told to be aware of "red flag" scenerios which Bono must also have been aware of. However no doctor can ever predict what will happen in the future.

I don't think that both of the discs and the bone in between them smashed, I mean the doctors would have spotted it wouldn't they? He'd see many doctors for this condition and LU said that insurance required medical check ups before they go on tour. Therefore they would've noticed if the bone and 2 discs had deteriated until there was a whooping big gap in his spine but they may have thought that the one disc that Dr Tonn mentioned may appeared to be solid. This is what I'm confused about.

I can appreciate that all surgery is serious but Vintage Punk said that it's routine whereby us mere mortals have to be put on a waiting list. DR Tonn is head of the clinic meaning that he's performed millions of time before. Also, when I first heard about this on Radio 4 news that they didn't know how this will effect the tour. In fact they didn't cancel Glastonbury until the Tuesday morning as Michael Eavis said that Paul wanted him to be the first to know. If they knew it was so severe then it would've been canceled and rescheduled on the Friday. So it couldn't be so serious else we would've known what was happening in regards to the tour as soon as this happened. Plus he's making a great recovery.

I can tell you what my doctor told me, in regard to my back injury.

If in Bono's case or anyone else. If, the disc has bulged (swollen) but still completely intact, a small tear in the ligament and pulled muscles. Bed rest, then light physical therapy. Usually, will do the trick. DR.S do not like to operate on the back. Unless, there is no other way for the patient to get better. The same would be for Bono.

If the disc has become herniated. Most likely in Bono's case. A fragment can break off and be in the spinal canal. Compression of the Sciatic Nerve. That will not go away. With conventional treatment. This does require surgery. Immediate, if there is any sort of paralysis. Such, as it was for Bono. The remainder of the healthy disc is not removed.. Much better for the patient to have their own disc. Better flexibility. So, there will be no need for steel rods, bone graft, etc.

When the fragment is removed and the ligament repaired. Recovery is fairly quick. Eight weeks would probably be that for most people. Especially, if they are physically fit. And Bono certainly, is. I Hope that answers your questions.

Back
Top Bottom