Bono undergoes emer. surgery -- tour impact forthcoming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the idea quite scary that Bono will go on stage too early and will be in permanent pain during the tour, with concerts being shortened or cancelled. I don't know, but I'd rather have him recover fully. From what I know about Bono I think he will feel horrible about everything and will try to go out on stage and move on with the tour as soon as possible. I hope he will take good care and take some reasonable medical advice.

He's no doubt feeling incredibly frustrated about all this and will want to speed up his recovery as much as possible. I really hope he heeds the advice of those around him and takes the time to recover properly. I don't want for the tour to resume only to see him clearly in pain and giving a restrained (or constrained) performance, these are not songs that can be sung half-heartedly. He needs to get himself in full working order first.

Since the Claw from SLC is heading to Minneapolis, you would expect that at least all dates before Seattle will be postponed. I guess they wait with announcing that, since they are trying to reschedule and might want to give information about new dates. and of course they wanna wait the result of bono's operation... I have no idea how they did it for teh Vertigo Tour...

In the mean time I bet Michael Eavis is currently tearing his beard out trying to think of potential alternative headliners for Glastonbury. Its their 40th year and U2 were the big coup for the festival. I tell you now if they replace them with Coldplay I will actually top myself :|

But I wouldnt make him so fat.. :(

bonosegwayband.jpg

I love you Sicy! That is fantastic.

And then Bono's next movie... "Bono Vox Mall Cop"

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that all June and maybe even July dates are postponed. I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see how he would be ready to get up on stage in 4 weeks. I would want him to feel 100% before starting the tour, rather than risking another injury.

... and if the rumors are true that maybe at least the first 5 shows will be postponed, then I bet those shows will not be possible this year. The claws will have to be transported to Europe after the New York show...

In the mean time I bet Michael Eavis is currently tearing his beard out trying to think of potential alternative headliners for Glastonbury. Its their 40th year and U2 were the big coup for the festival. I tell you now if they replace them with Coldplay I will actually top myself :|

Bono will be doing everything he can to make glastonbury i bet,

I hope I'm wrong and the tour could start in MN but I think the US tour is kaput. MN seems as good a place as any to park the trucks, it's not like they can go in mini storage.

We've all heard of athletes who "play hurt" or play with pain and after a season they go have a surgery they were planning on getting. For Bono to have this surgery - EMERGENCY SURGERY - this means the severity of the injury and pain out weighed the world of shit that was going to stem from the postponements. This is like rescheduling the D-Day invasion once the boats were packed (which almost happened). Glastonbury? This was not an appendectomy or hernia here. Bono is not an insurance agent or CPA - being a rock star is very physical and his entire future could be at risk by coming back early. There is no way that Paul McG, Larry-Adam-Edge, Live Nation, or Ali will let him come back until he is healed and rehabbed. I hope it was something small and nagging but I'm skeptical.

I have been looking forward to seeing them in Philly for months now and I don' have my hopes up for July 12th. Curiously Stub Hub still is selling tickets to this show as of this morning. Guess they have to do business. I'm sure Bono feels like shit emotionally and physically. Poor bastard just hit 50 and now this.

Emergency back surgery is often done because of nerves being pinched. A slipped or bulging disc can do that. It is to immediately relieve the pressure so there is no nerve damage.

My B-I-L had that happen and was ordered not to do anything for a month after and was told to only lift up to 10 lbs. (4 kg) for the 2nd month.

I think they are planning on a minimum of a month out for Bono, but I really think the North American dates all are in trouble of postponement. I don't know how he could rehearse under those circumstances.

I just want him to take the time to recover.

Well, they could start the tour with the glastonbury gig, then the european tour and go to the US then.
My only thought is... If he has these problems since, I don't know 5, 6, 7 years?, why did he waited this long for the surgery? They have almost two years between tours. He could have a better recovery in that time.

I'm Not criticizing him. Just wondering. Hope you understand :up:

Anyone else find it strange that there has been no mention (from either the band/ Live Nation/ record co or anyone) of Bono's actual state of health in all this? Normally would expect a press release regarding the surgery performed and if he is comfortable or not. That the only release is very business oriented regarding tour dates seems more than a bit cold to me.

I fully understood and supported the reluctance to confirm rumours of Edge's family's health last time they postponed but Bono is a public figure who is loved by millions.

I can honestly say that a fully recovered Bono with years of U2 ahead of us is way more important than seeing any more dates in 2010.

Here's hoping he makes the best health decisions for him and not for us.:hug:

Someone posted in a forum that they thought it might not be too serious injury since they only canceled one date and wondered if they were using it as PR to help sell out shows. Last tour rumours and such....

As a lot of folks have mentioned you dont recover quickly if it is a serious operation and have lots of restrictions on weight bending running etc.
I guess we will find out as this unfolds and hope Bono recovers quickly.

I would assume the insurance rider will cover most expenses due to cancellation etc. It would be interesting to know how Live Nation Short the business to cover their butts like Goldman Sachs.....Buying dirivatives etc/

Feel sorry for all the folks travelling to Salt Lake as I know the band and fans take the first show of the tour pretty serious.

pinched nerve? herniated disc? i wonder what actually happened? was bono working out getting back into shape?

i wonder if it's the same injury that Joe Montana sustained. how fast did he recover?

I really doubt they're using this as PR, and there has been absolutely no indication they plan to retire after 360, the tour would have been hyped as such and a lot more extensive.

So when can we expect another announcement, or Bono's progress? Monday? I'm worried about his health and the jeopardy the US leg is in. But health comes first. If he recovers, he might have to go to rehab or another tour prep training session.

In a little while...:|

I just had another thought.

Apart from singing.......what does Bono's day consist of?

Answer - traveling

What method of transportation does Bono use most often?

Answer - airplane

What do most people who travel on an airplane despise?

Answer - the seats! :doh:

Those fucking seats have been murdering our poor leader's back for years!!!!

Doesn't he have a swanky private jet with cushy seats he can lie down on? :wink:

Here we now enter Day Two of Bono Back Watch 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom