Bono responsible for leaked songs / Interference made the news - ALL DISCUSSION HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you purposely missing my point? Yes I know Bono smokes, I never denied that... How many times have you seen Bono smoke full size cigars?

Several intervies and photos - cigarettes and cigars, starting with Zoo TV and onwards, more during Pop - again, cigars - compared to All that... (and maybe one or two pics from JT).
Also again more photos of him smoking in the Bomb era - cigars. That's more then a decade - and that's assuming he started around Zoo TV.

edit: he even has cigars on that very recent pic from Madonna show. Are you really thinking those aren't his to smoke ?

(and maybe one or two pics from JT).
Also again more photos of him smoking in the Bomb era - cigars. That's more then a decade - and that's assuming he started around Zoo TV.

bono0147sa0.jpg

jtuff8hg4.jpg

colon3amh5.gif

I think it's funny that back in the day, especially during the AB/Zoo TV era, Bono was considered cool with the cigar constantly hanging out of his mouth, while nowadays fans complain about him possibly smoking when he's hardly seen with a cigar these days. It's the stupid habit he picked up during the oh so cool 90s that did all the damage to his voice.

edit: he even has cigars on that very recent pic from Madonna show. Are you really thinking those aren't his to smoke ?

I'm well aware, that's where this whole ridiculous conversation started...

My whole point was to try and get someone to avoid jumping to conclusions. I'm not sure why I even engaged to begin with...

Bono has smoked off and on since the early 80's. It's not something he just picked up in the 90's, he just seemed to show it more in the 90's...

Most of the time it was either a cigarette or cigarillo. I was well aware he occasionally was seen with a full size cigar, but my point was let's not jump to conclusions that he now has a voice debilating habit of smoking them...

That's it, I'm done with that conversation.

why the hec are we even talking about whether bono smokes cigars or cigarettes or whatever.. isn't this a moot point that most of us fans if not all already are well aware of..:huh:

hey, i got a idea... how bout we get back to the topic of this thread... I know it's a crazy thought and it maybe hard to fathom but I think we can do it. whatchya say folks? u in?

I'm out too

I'm well aware, that's where this whole ridiculous conversation started...

My whole point was to try and get someone to avoid jumping to conclusions. I'm not sure why I even engaged to begin with...

Bono has smoked off and on since the early 80's. It's not something he just picked up in the 90's, he just seemed to show it more in the 90's...

Most of the time it was either a cigarette or cigarillo. I was well aware he occasionally was seen with a full size cigar, but my point was let's not jump to conclusions that he now has a voice debilating habit of smoking them...

That's it, I'm done with that conversation.

He DOES have a a voice debilating habit that has spanned for decades. I don't think, then, that it's jumping to conclusions that he will smoke the two cigars in the pocket of his shirt. :shrug:

this thread needs to get back on topic. the topic isn't whether or not bono smokes cigars.

:lol:

sounds good Khanada....

so..Bono is responsible for leaked songs and he is "blamed" for leaked songs.....why do they keep saying that when U2 doesn't even care and is "unconcerned" anyway? :shrug:

that was just my bad attempt to get back on topic....I don't know what else to say :)

Well Bono was the one that was blasting the songs on the radio. So he gets the "blame" for it.

Well Bono was the one that was blasting the songs on the radio. So he gets the "blame" for it.

i guess....but still...the news articles and all that crap give "blame" a negative connotation, as if Bono has done something wrong and irresponsibly leaked new U2...

Did Bono's boo-boo cause the release date to be pushed back?

I was thinking... was Bono's blunder much of the cause of the release date being pushed back? I mean, the songs sounded finished (even if the quality wasn't that great) and it seemed like everything was a go for a November release. How much of that affected their plans? Any thoughts or ideas?

I just don't buy the "we've hit a rich vein" crap. They've had four fricking years! The songs are good... from what we've heard at least.

I was thinking... was Bono's blunder much of the cause of the release date being pushed back?

Which blunder? Playing some songs over a stereo, that someone recorded on a mobile phone (and through a tin can judging from the sound quality) and subsequently put on YouTube?
Nah, I don't think so.

Yes, it has... so what. It's like they made Bono come out with that subtle statement on their site because since he broke it, he gotta fix it now... now they have to change their plans.

What? you were saying it's been four years. That's not true at all. They've only been hibernating for not even two years at this point.

What? you were saying it's been four years. That's not true at all. They've only been hibernating for not even two years at this point.

They've never hibernated for four years (I'm referring to the band; McGuinne$$ hibernates until autumn of the next album cycle). You know full well what he meant. Besides, no band should be praised for polishing the same album for two years, let alone four.

They've never hibernated for four years (I'm referring to the band; McGuinne$$ hibernates until autumn of the next album cycle). You know full well what he meant. Besides, no band should be praised for polishing the same album for two years, let alone four.

OK. But to pretend like they should have released by now is a bit absurd. They played a lot of shows in a lot of places for the Vertigo tour. It would have ended earlier in 2006, but for illness. So I'm sure taking care of their families has been a priority to an extent since the tour ended. They had some serious songwriting sessions in Fez and that was what, last Summer? And the Rubin sessions in 2006 and then the Spring/Summer 2008.

Those Rubin sessions never came to fruition, so it's not the same album. Some songs are supposedly being used from them, but probably in a different carnation. They've only been working hard with Eno/Lanois from what I can gather for a year, maybe year and a half or so. That's not polishing the same album for two years, let alone four.

Who is praising them for polishing the album? They are entitled to take their time to put out the best album for the fans. In terms of tour end to album release, this is sooner than Elevation tour (Dec 2001) to Bomb (Nov 2004) when we have Vertigo (Dec 2006) to Untitled (Feb 2009)

OK. But to pretend like they should have released by now is a bit absurd. They played a lot of shows in a lot of places for the Vertigo tour. It would have ended earlier in 2006, but for illness. So I'm sure taking care of their families has been a priority to an extent since the tour ended. They had some serious songwriting sessions in Fez and that was what, last Summer? And the Rubin sessions in 2006 and then the Spring/Summer 2008.

Those Rubin sessions never came to fruition, so it's not the same album. Some songs are supposedly being used from them, but probably in a different carnation. They've only been working hard with Eno/Lanois from what I can gather for a year, maybe year and a half or so. That's not polishing the same album for two years, let alone four.

Who is praising them for polishing the album? They are entitled to take their time to put out the best album for the fans. In terms of tour end to album release, this is sooner than Elevation tour (Dec 2001) to Bomb (Nov 2004) when we have Vertigo (Dec 2006) to Untitled (Feb 2009)

It's absurd to pretend it should have been released by now? What, is this a solar eclipse we're waiting for, or a rock album? :lol: They can release it whenever they want to, regardless of when the previous tour closed up shop. Apparently, the band isn't that predictable. Otherwise, we'd all have a U2 album to look forward to for Christmas.

The Rubin sessions ARE GOING TO BE USED ON THE ALBUM. Edge confirmed this in Q. It's not U2.com but, hey, what is? Personally, I think three four separate sessions amounting to two years of work is plenty for the band. If they feel the need to polish the album until they can see a line on the horizon in it, that's their business, but those who would "wait the rest of my life for the greatest U2 album of all time" are going to be horribly disappointed. It's people like that who are encouraging U2 to repeat past mistakes and are essentially praising them for having no confidence in their own material.

It's absurd to pretend it should have been released by now? What, is this a solar eclipse we're waiting for, or a rock album? :lol: They can release it whenever they want to, regardless of when the previous tour closed up shop. Apparently, the band isn't that predictable. Otherwise, we'd all have a U2 album to look forward to for Christmas.

The Rubin sessions ARE GOING TO BE USED ON THE ALBUM. Edge confirmed this in Q. It's not U2.com but, hey, what is? Personally, I think three four separate sessions amounting to two years of work is plenty for the band. If they feel the need to polish the album until they can see a line on the horizon in it, that's their business, but those who would "wait the rest of my life for the greatest U2 album of all time" are going to be horribly disappointed. It's people like that who are encouraging U2 to repeat past mistakes.

"Those Rubin sessions never came to fruition, so it's not the same album. Some songs are supposedly being used from them, but probably in a different carnation"

I already acknowledged that some songs from the Rubin sessions would make it onto this album. I doubt they will be as is straight out of 2006 since the work has shifted to a different producer tandem. But thanks for POINTING THAT OUT FOR ME.

It is plenty of work. And they have been working. Are they scrapping the work? No. Are they changing producers after nearly having an album recorded? No. What are they doing? Supposedly writing more material. That's all we have to go on for that. What do I think they're doing? Maybe changing a vocal take or something, but more likely arguing over which songs will make the album and track listing. That's my guess if we are to not take it at face value.

It's funny, U2 decide to release some of the Chris Thomas sessions with the iTunes, some of them sound cool, but none of them sound half as good as the Atomic Bomb takes, and people automatically assume that this record, because its being delayed three months (as of right now) is being overproduced. What mistakes are being repeated by giving an extra 2-3 months? If they released the album they had with Chris Thomas, with Native Son's cringeworthy political lyric as the first single, well, that would have been the mistake.

I was thinking... was Bono's blunder much of the cause of the release date being pushed back? I mean, the songs sounded finished (even if the quality wasn't that great) and it seemed like everything was a go for a November release. How much of that affected their plans? Any thoughts or ideas?

I heard a (though I don't believe in) the songs weren't finished Bono didn't record some vocal parts but he lost his voice again because of booze ,cigars and so on.And they said this is the reason.I still can't believe.

"Those Rubin sessions never came to fruition, so it's not the same album. Some songs are supposedly being used from them, but probably in a different carnation"

I already acknowledged that some songs from the Rubin sessions would make it onto this album. I doubt they will be as is straight out of 2006 since the work has shifted to a different producer tandem. But thanks for POINTING THAT OUT FOR ME.

It is plenty of work. And they have been working. Are they scrapping the work? No. Are they changing producers after nearly having an album recorded? No. What are they doing? Supposedly writing more material. That's all we have to go on for that. What do I think they're doing? Maybe changing a vocal take or something, but more likely arguing over which songs will make the album and track listing. That's my guess if we are to not take it at face value.

It's funny, U2 decide to release some of the Chris Thomas sessions with the iTunes, some of them sound cool, but none of them sound half as good as the Atomic Bomb takes, and people automatically assume that this record, because its being delayed three months (as of right now) is being overproduced. What mistakes are being repeated by giving an extra 2-3 months? If they released the album they had with Chris Thomas, with Native Son's cringeworthy political lyric as the first single, well, that would have been the mistake.

Sorry, didn't read the last part of your sentence. I just figured it was more of the usual, uninformed "they're obviously tossing out the Rubin sessions because they were done a 'long' time ago" drivel. My apologies.

Your entire post is based on the assumption that the album is being delayed 2-3 months. Mine is not. If you look at it from my point of view instead of your own, I think it's pretty clear that mistakes could be repeated. And yes, I consider the track listing of HTDAAB a mistake. Not necessarily the mixes, but the track listing itself is a mess, and left many great songs on the cutting room floor. I'm just afraid that they'll forget some of the great material they wrote 6 months ago and get stuck on something they wrote at the last minute. I'm not bashing the band, I just want what any of us want...a great album.

Back
Top Bottom