Bono interview in Australian Press - Danger Mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Bono say "new songs" when they were talking about AUS/NZ? Now, normally I would insert a "BONO LIES" joke here, but I think so far their "hey, new songs!" comments have actually been correct.
I'm not believing this until it's on U2.com. :grumpy:

:wink:

I think it's more likely that they'll play brand new songs than NLOTH songs that weren't regulars last leg. They said it themselves during the last leg that they had stopped promoting NLOTH with this tour. I think they're just gonna move on to the next project that we'll hopefully see soon and continue playing 2-3 new songs a night along with the 4 normal tracks from NLOTH.

They would need practically no on-stage rehearsal time. Nothing like Turin, which came after a much, much longer break, when they added new stuff (including a whole new opening), made decent changes to the production etc, and possibly when they needed to give the singer a bit of a decent test of road-worthiness.

For this, getting back up to scratch on the songs can be done absolutely anywhere, and surely takes them no time at all, and just a quick re-acquaintance with everything else over a couple of short sessions (including the day of the first gig) in NZ would be all that’s needed, I’d think. I doubt there’ll be any dramatic changes to it all. Surely a song or two, stage trick or two, but nothing big.

I bet they give it one decent on-stage rehearsal the day before, and a sort of extended soundcheck on the day of the first gig, and that's it.

this one.. I always loved what I heard here,even though it was such terrible quality. I was fascinated by the bass and that whoa-oh-oh drop chorus..

been so long since I heard it, would love to hear it again. sounds nothing like what we now know as Crazy Tonight

I respectfully disagree. It does sound like it has the backbone of the song there, actually.

It starts off with the "We're gonna make it all the way to the light" part but with different lyrics and melody but same chords, then there's a "ooh-ooh" part where Bono sings "Won't you climb the mountain" or something to that effect.

Then the verse sounds principally the same, but again with new lyrics, about soldiers, artists, rockstars and making the world a better place.

To my ears, the bassline seems different somehow, perhaps "playful" is the word I'm after, and still ends with "Oh, a change of heart comes slow...".

Then the chorus has the same lyrics at the start (It's not a hill, It's a mountain/As you start out the climb/Listen for me/I'll be shouting) but after a while he goes into something different. The break section is still there too ("Baby Baby Baby..."), after which the song changes again into some form of extended chorus ("You are not alone....You are not alone") and scat singing.

I sent a message to the uploader about the original file from his phone. I said I didn't care if it was poor quality, I just wanted to hear what it sounded like.
Unsurprisingly, he hasn't written me back. These are the lyrics from what I could tell the last time we discussed this thing:
We went away
In a taxi in the dark to the airport in the rain
And we talk
About the simple things in life we had seen and done since we've been around
And then you say
You want something in your life to change, I say will you change your way?
I say OK, to give your cocktail overlooking the illuminating ??
And you look
As if you're a thousand miles away before we took off
And I feel, feel (fear?)

Je ne sais quoi
Is the night too dark for you to be my baby?
Je ne sais quoi
I know the day is long and since I called you ??

We went away
In a taxi in the dark to the airport in the rain
And you're told about the simple things I life
We hit the road

Je ne sais quoi
It's a thousand miles away before you even take off
Je ne sais quoi
Is the night too dark for you pretty baby?

I respectfully disagree. It does sound like it has the backbone of the song there, actually.

It starts off with the "We're gonna make it all the way to the light" part but with different lyrics and melody but same chords, then there's a "ooh-ooh" part where Bono sings "Won't you climb the mountain" or something to that effect.

Then the verse sounds principally the same, but again with new lyrics, about soldiers, artists, rockstars and making the world a better place.

To my ears, the bassline seems different somehow, perhaps "playful" is the word I'm after, and still ends with "Oh, a change of heart comes slow...".

Then the chorus has the same lyrics at the start (It's not a hill, It's a mountain/As you start out the climb/Listen for me/I'll be shouting) but after a while he goes into something different. The break section is still there too ("Baby Baby Baby..."), after which the song changes again into some form of extended chorus ("You are not alone....You are not alone") and scat singing.

do you know if this clip is still kicking around anywhere, youtube perhaps? I've had zero luck finding it

do you know if this clip is still kicking around anywhere, youtube perhaps? I've had zero luck finding it

No, I haven't seen it around for a while. Then again, I stopped looking the moment I got hold of it. I suppose "U2" took the beach clips down from YouTube so I doubt they will be on there.

actually I was able to find most of the 2008 clips on this guy's site.. all slightly different from the final NLOTH version. unfortunately, no clip #5

I have #5 from Eze, July 25, 2008. Is this the one you guys are looking for?

Beach Clips would be so much more useful if they were say, Quiet Meadow Clips, so much less background noise that way!!

I have #5 from Eze, July 25, 2008. Is this the one you guys are looking for?

it is... would you.. care to share?
whistle.gif

basquill @hotmail

Does anyone remember the clip in which Bono sang something like: "coming to the surface for your love"?? It was called U2 Hanover Q clip or U2 HQ clip and there was also a tweaked version. We talked about it here around the same time as the beach clips.

I wonder if it could end up on the album produced by Danger Mouse. It's not on NLOTH and hasn't been played on the tour. :hmm:

Does anyone remember the clip in which Bono sang something like: "coming to the surface for your love"?? It was called U2 Hanover Q clip or U2 HQ clip and there was also a tweaked version. We talked about it here around the same time as the beach clips.

I wonder if it could end up on the album produced by Danger Mouse. It's not on NLOTH and hasn't been played on the tour. :hmm:

Yeah that one hasn't surfaced at all yet anywhere else. The chorus he sang "Just can't stay away, I was coming to the surface of your love." It was one of the poorest quality of all the clips and is mostly truck noise, plus you have to turn the volume way up. But I have it if you want to hear it again.

Back
Top Bottom