Bono in Newsweek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katalina

Babyface
Bono in "Newsweek," December 16th edition, page 77.
He answered a few questions from Newsweek. I can't scan at work so I'll have to type them:

question: With terrorism and the econony, itsn't it hard to get Americans' attention about this issue?

It turns out it's easier. The idea that the prosperous few can live separate from the poverty of the many shattered on Sept. 11th.
This is one of those moments where our children and grandchildren will be asking, How did we let this happen? Our age will be remembered for three things: the internet; the war on terror; and how we let an entire contitent burst into flames while we stood around with watering cans. Or not.

question: So people are responding?

The other day I met a Teamster at a truck stop in Iowa. His name was Bill. We were talking about watching people in Jalalabad jump up and down celebrating the collapse of the Twin Towers.
"Put it right," he said. "Whatever we have to do to make us less hated." He sees this as patriotic.

question: Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil, with whom you toured Africa, resigned this morning. Will you still be heard in the administration?

Look, the administration cares deeply about Africa. The president is going there in January. And he has enormous interest in the way the U.S. is perceived in the rest of the world. I think President Bush is passionate about this subject. Our job is to turn his passion into cash.

remark: I have to say you don't sound like a rock star dilettante.

Bono's response (which I love): I'm Irish - I rant. I can bore the arse off my best friends.

He's the best of all the rest.

Um, could somebody please lend Bono some new analogies?

Anyway, nice interview, thanks!

martha said:

I've got some over at my house he can use. They're right there, over by that couch just big enough for two.
Way to ruin my innocent post there, Martha. :censored:

;) :tongue: :D

Yes, the cover has Condi Rice on it. By the way, the Condi Rice story makes for fabulous reading. Quite inspiring, just like our
U2 men.

Katalina said:
Yes, the cover has Condi Rice on it. By the way, the Condi Rice story makes for fabulous reading. Quite inspiring, just like our
U2 men.

hm, I guess I'll go back downstairs and steal the magazine again....

Back
Top Bottom