Bono in Africa....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ah man,

what un unbelievably great idea for a thread

my heart is melting here
what a guy!

EXCELLENT THREAD - :applaud:

FYI - the young girl in the first pic with Bono is Ireen from Uganda. She was about 13 yrs old at the time that pic was taken with Bono in May 2002.

Ireen is one of over 12 MILLION AIDS orphaned children living throughout Africa. She was part of a group of Ugandan children who are takencare of by the Ugandan Childrens' Charity Foundation. (http://www.uccf.org) :angel:

The UCCF provides for the daily care, education and emotional nurturance of close to 1,000 AIDS orphans in Uganda. They are also the group of children who performed for Bono when he was honored as the 2003 Musicares' Person of the Year Award for his humanitarian efforts.

So, if this thread has re-ignited your interest and respect for BONO'S HEART OF LOVE FOR AFRICA'S CHILDREN, then I encourage you to visit the UCCF website and see what you can do to make a TANGIBLE DIFFERENCE FOR GOOD in the lives of the children which are most important to the B-man, next to his own children. :hug:

And check out the article done in July here at Interference on the UCCF and the FANTASTIC work they do for these children.

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU'VE STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Joha_U2 said:
Is this the .gif y'all were talking about?

african_dance.gif

:wink:

Wow. Just...wow.
Look at that butt! Wooooo!:faint:

Yea, stars, it's not enough for us to simply sit here looking at pics of Bono (although they are wonderful to look at - :wink: ) - we must take our Love and Respect for Bono and put it into PRODUCTIVE ACTION for Africa!

Bono would be SO GRATIFIED to know that we became ACTIVELY INVOLVED in helping Africa out of our Love and Respect for him. I think he would appreciate that more than almost anything else that we can do for him. :yes:

Next to his music and his family, the most important thing in the world to Bono is Africa's Future.

So, GET INVOLVED, everyone! At least make sure that you have signed the online petition for Africa at http://www.theonecampaign.org and check out our PLEBAns' thread on Africa for more excellent resources on Africa. :yes:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:hug: :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I agree Jamila. It is not enough to morally agree about the situation...we need to be convicted enough to act upon it.

I know the situation is very overwhelming, I realize it can seem that too much truly is never enough BUT our fear is no excuse for inaction.

This is not a matter of politics or us versus them mentality...it is the right thing to do. This is a winnable situation--we just all need to play our hands rather than folding and walking away from the table! We've conquered other things such as polio and influenza, this is just a tiny little virus here....we CAN do it, together.

One love :heart:

hi guys

was wonderign if someone could fill in a few gaps for me if you guys know the answer.

i'm looking for specific info on the work bono has done - the places he's been to and the organisations he's worked with while there.
i know a few of them, the big ones like data and the one campaign and i read here of his involvement with UCCF but i would really like to know more about the other places he's been and the who he worked there with. for example, we all know of his time in etheopia with ali, does anyone know how he got there - through which group and organisation.

thats the kind of stuff i want to know, where he's been and through whom?

if someone could point me in the right direction, either with info you have ourselves or websites or something where i could find it out.
thanks

digsy

starsgoblue said:
Ok....this might take a bit for me to find everything Digsy.
In the meantime I'd suggest feasting your eyes on the dancing Bono above in Mac's post. :faint:

thanks

like i was going to be able to stop myself doing that anyway :wink:

Digsy, this one will take some time because the B-man has been involved with SO MANY wonderful organizations which do EXCELLENT work with the poorest, most vunerable people in the world! :angel:

I can give you almost a timeline of Bon's humanitarian efforts, but that will take some time. Check back in this thread often and I will keep you updated.

To start,
Bono and Ali went to Ethiopia in 1985 to work in a refugee camp sponsored by World Vision (http://www.worldvision.org), an organization that Bono is still very close to today. :wink:

Another organization that Bono has been VERY CLOSELY involved with for several years in the struggle against the AIDS pandemic in Africa is TASO - the AIDS Support Organization of Uganda (http://www.tasouganda.org).

This is the group that Bono has done most of his advocacy work with in learning about the scope of AIDS in Africa and I think Bono has formed some of his closest friendships with those suffering from the effects of HIV/AIDS from within this group. :hug:

The People of TASO are VERY SPECIAL TO BONO (especially a beautifully courageous woman named Graceand, of course, Bono's BELOVED FRIEND, Agnes Nyamayarwo, who has become a spokesperson for DATA and The ONE Campaign because of Bono's admiration for her.) Agnes is the African woman on stage with Bono in The ONE Campaign pictures. :up:

And last (for now) but never least is Aung San Suu Kyi and her lifelong struggle to bring Freedom and Democracy to her homeland, Burma.

I will provide more websites in the future, but to get started in learning more about Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and why she became the inspiration for Bono to write "Walk On" in her honor, go to http://www.dassk.com and be amazed by the beauty, intelligence and humanity of this EXTRAORDINARY WOMAN! :yes:

Tomorrow, I will post some more about the various groups that the B-man has been involved with in his lifelong advocacy for human rights and peace in the world.

BONO - YOU'RE SIMPLY THE BEST! :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

you guys are great, thanks for all of that.

i'll start looking into all of those - at the moment i'm trying to find out as much as i can about whats going on in africa and would one day like to plan a trip out there to see for myself. i have no idea where to start though so who better to learn from than the b-man himself. he's an inspiration

OMG....I've never seen this pic before...this is Bono becoming emotional last December in Atlanta to promote AIDs awareness in Africa. What a beautiful angel he is---I don't know how it's possible but my admiration and love for him just grew 100x. This pic just tugs at my heartstrings and makes me wish I could have given him a big big hug....How dare anyone ever say he lobbies for his own self promotion.

f6n0l

No..you aren't the only one...it is a powerful photo. First off, a picture of a man crying is not a common one. Also, I just read a quote from Bono's Alastair interview that was reported on Launch .com... ."He says, "When I finally go to heaven and meet the big man St Peter, he probably won't appreciate my Third World work. He'll ask me 'was this for you, or your latest album?'" Bono made the revelations in a candid interview with Britain's Prime Minister Tony Blairs's former press chief Alastair Campbell for TV show Alastair Campbell Interviews Bono. I know its a joke, but it seems to be a quite dark one....

no,stars, you're not the only one who was affected by that pic of Bono. :wink:

When I first saw that pic months ago, I was moved in my Heart beyond words because I have seen that same look of utter despair and of fear for Africa's Future in other people's faces - including my own.

Anyone who has been actively involved in the Global AIDS and anti-poverty struggle knows that look on Bono's face because many of us have friends and family who are now resting six feet under due to the lack of REAL INTERESTand MONETARY COMMITMENT to the world's poorest people. :sad:

Bono has seen this desparate poverty himself and probably knows of people who are no longer with us because of the world's "collective yawn" (Bono's words) regarding the plight of the poor.

What I have done (and many others) is to put our Love and Respect for the B-man's advocacy for Africa's Future into POSITIVE ACTION FOR CHANGE. :hug:

I thank you for posting this pic again because, even though it's great that Bono is content and seemingly satisfied with life right now, there are those private times that I have a feeling he looks a lot like this.

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE OF A LIFE OF LOVE IN ACTION....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

That's a powerful picture. Every time I see it I just want to pucker up and cry myself. It's refreshing to see a guy who's not afraid to cry. Bravo, Bono!:drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:wave:

Hello Angels! Just a reminder, as always, to WRITE AND CALL your leader, president, prime minister, senators, etc TODAY and ask them to support 100% debt cancellation. If you haven't, what are you waiting for? Contact info and sample letters on the Angel's site, as always. If you have written your letter and aren't on the list, give Queen Bee, our web goddess, a PM or email. :)

Go get 'em girls!

SD

Yes to what Sherry said. The letter will take no time at all. I just got personal letter back from one of my Congresswomen....she's going to get to know my handwriting very well.....

We didn't start this--but we can all end it!

Back
Top Bottom