Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:tsk: Can imagine you being a frequent Limewire user ...

Actually, I've never touched Limewire!

Early days of downloading, I used Kazaa. Hated it. Then I was a staunch torrent user until lately. Now I find it much easier to use blogs and the recently closed Sordo Music Database to find music ... more efficient to download something off Media Fire or Send Space or whatever than to go to the bother of torrents.

Way I see it, if somewhere like Oink or Sordo were made legal, and I had to pay a monthly access fee but otherwise it's unchanged, I'd be so there. That sort of thing would be amazing, but the music industry's dense.

Actually, I've never touched Limewire!

Early days of downloading, I used Kazaa. Hated it. Then I was a staunch torrent user until lately. Now I find it much easier to use blogs and the recently closed Sordo Music Database to find music ... more efficient to download something off Media Fire or Send Space or whatever than to go to the bother of torrents.

Way I see it, if somewhere like Oink or Sordo were made legal, and I had to pay a monthly access fee but otherwise it's unchanged, I'd be so there. That sort of thing would be amazing, but the music industry's dense.

Okay, I still use iTunes, I find it an honest way of downloading music, plus cover art on my iPod is win.

Out of boredom i'm looking up pictures of Minsk on Google images, and I found an old Belarusian tram, and I know how much trams and trains interest you ... :wink:

Okay, I still use iTunes, I find it an honest way of downloading music, plus cover art on my iPod is win.

Out of boredom i'm looking up pictures of Minsk on Google images, and I found an old Belarusian tram, and I know how much trams and trains interest you ... :wink:

See, I just don't think iTunes is value for money ... good concept, poor execution. I do like to support artists, but I freely admit I'm a hypocrite on this count.

Oooh, tram! That actually looks very bus-y, surprisingly similar to presumably contemporaneous American designs actually.

See, I just don't think iTunes is value for money ... good concept, poor execution. I do like to support artists, but I freely admit I'm a hypocrite on this count.

Oooh, tram! That actually looks very bus-y, surprisingly similar to presumably contemporaneous American designs actually.

It's okay, Ax. :hug:

I think that tram was from the late 19th century. And I found that this may interest you in regards to WWII, I certainly found it a good read, and it further replenishes the theory that one forth of the population perished.

Well, I haven't made one in a little while.

If the Superthread was located in Pleba, we could probably go to Edgecumbe in NZ. But I'd take any other idea.

I went to a stately home in England called Mt Edgecumbe, it was inherited by a branch of the family in NZ who then sold it to the National Trust or something.

It's okay, Ax. :hug:

I think that tram was from the late 19th century. And I found that this may interest you in regards to WWII, I certainly found it a good read, and it further replenishes the theory that one forth of the population perished.

Wouldn't be late 19th century ... electric trams had only just been introduced then (most cities only had horse-drawn trams until the turn of the 20th century), and the type of door it has didn't exist. My guess, purely on the basis of design characteristics, is 1920s, 1930s.

Huh, interesting - I wasn't aware that there was an attempt in 1944 to declare an independent Belarussian state.

Wouldn't be late 19th century ... electric trams had only just been introduced then (most cities only had horse-drawn trams until the turn of the 20th century), and the type of door it has didn't exist. My guess, purely on the basis of design characteristics, is 1920s, 1930s.

Huh, interesting - I wasn't aware that there was an attempt in 1944 to declare an independent Belarussian state.

Yeah, you're probably right on the age of the tram.

There was an attempt to make an independent country in about 1918-1919, around that time. We did actually become independent, but only for a year or two. The whole fact that we were the one of the worst hit countries in WWII does hit me back pretty hard, hence why Minsk got the Hero City award.

Yeah, you're probably right on the age of the tram.

There was an attempt to make an independent country in about 1918-1919, around that time. We did actually become independent, but only for a year or two. The whole fact that we were the one of the worst hit countries in WWII does hit me back pretty hard, hence why Minsk got the Hero City award.

Seems a lot of what became the Soviet Union tried for independence in that post-WWI period, actually ... I'm fairly familiar with the attempt to create a Transcaucasus Republic.

And of course, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania actually succeeded in having lasting independence during this period ... WWII kind of fucked them over.

Hey John! :wave:

Referencing an earlier discussion re: music downloading, I just stumbled past this in my Photobucket ...

Pirate.jpg

Seems a lot of what became the Soviet Union tried for independence in that post-WWI period, actually ... I'm fairly familiar with the attempt to create a Transcaucasus Republic.

And of course, Latvia, Estonia, and Lithuania actually succeeded in having lasting independence during this period ... WWII kind of fucked them over.

Yeah, I think it was known as the "Bolsheviks" or "the big guys", I am not completely sure but I do know that this was being thrown around during the time. Though, as you can see in the early years of independence (early - mid 90's) in most ex - USSR countries, political unrest wouldn't have been uncommon. But now the country is starting to take shape, growing economy, great pieces of architecture (like the new national library, which lights up at night).

WWII was a bitch.

Fine is such a fine word isn't it? in fact I'd think I'd die if I didn't hear fine every day of my life. Except you know what's a better word? Grand, Grand is awesome

In case you can't tell I did not sleep much last night + tax is boring, I think every business class is required to insult U2 once per lecture or the class is dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom