Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That explains this series of fantasy books I read once which was all based on Celticy stuff, and the words "yes" and "no" appeared NOWHERE in the text. It took me a couple of books to notice this and it freaked me out.

That's not surprising to me at all, our languages are weird

We don't have a word for hello either :lol:

Hey Jen! :wave:

Thanks to my learning of English i'm not too competent at reading Russian. I can help you if you like though, I know the basics.

And 'nizhny' would mean 'lower', new in Russian is 'novi or noviya'. So Nizhniy Novgorod would mean Lower Novgorod, maybe even "Lower Newtown"!

Ah, that's a shame. But yeah, I'd definitely like to learn something. I don't ever expect to have the competence to know enough to read things like Dostoevsky's novels in the original Russian, but any knowledge would be nice.

Ooh, OK. Shows that assumption of mine wasn't worth squat! And haha, Newtown? Seems like such a boring placename in English.

Hi Ali , im also a grandma! debating printing 50 pages to take to bed and read. :hmm:

nice to see so many of us around here tonite :hug:

Argh, need to read things too...
What sort of stuff are you reading? And what's this fabbo new job I heard about ages ago but never sent you an email about? :reject:

It is cool... :up:

"Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat" = May the cat eat you, and may the cat be eaten by the devil
"Titim gan éirí ort" = May you fall without rising

There's also some pick up line about preferring the girl to a thousand milk cows

And with those fancy phrases I leave you

"Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat" = May the cat eat you, and may the cat be eaten by the devil

There's also some pick up line about preferring the girl to a thousand milk cows

I challenge somebody to find a weirder language in history.

I've heard the cat one before, I've tried saying it but it just sounds like I'm regurgitating a large egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom