Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Learning Russian sounds harder than Irish :lol:

Well, they both share a common origin in that they were invented by drunk people. It's just that Russian was invented just after the first vintage of vodka was consumed, while Gaelic was invented a few minutes after Guinness was.

Well, they both share a common origin in that they were invented by drunk people. It's just that Russian was invented just after the first vintage of vodka was consumed, while Gaelic was invented a few minutes after Guinness was.

Gaelic has amazing rules like thou must add in a random letter before the capital letter of words for some reason that I can't remember

Thou must not say yes or no because those words don't exist :crack:

Well suddenly the name of the newspaper Pravda makes more sense.

Nu da*.

*Well yes.

Glad you're learning! There's an Australian based Russian newspaper called 'Gorizont', which means 'Horizon'. And NLOTH in Russian would be; Ni kakoi lina na gorizont.

:)

Gaelic has amazing rules like thou must add in a random letter before the capital letter of words for some reason that I can't remember

Classic.

How, then, does one respond in the affirmative or negative?

Nu da*.

*Well yes.

Glad you're learning! There's an Australian based Russian newspaper called 'Gorizont', which means 'Horizon'. And NLOTH in Russian would be; Ni kakoi lina na gorizont.

:)

I might've said before - I tried to teach myself Russian when I was about 16, learnt Cyrillic and some basic phrases but it didn't stick in my head due to the lack of anybody to practice with.

I've assumed 'nizhniy' (not sure on the spelling) means 'new', due to placenames like Nizhniy Novgorod.

Haha, respect to Vlad's avatar.

I keep contemplating my own "LOVETOWN: No shows in America" sig ...

I might've said before - I tried to teach myself Russian when I was about 16, learnt Cyrillic and some basic phrases but it didn't stick in my head due to the lack of anybody to practice with.

I've assumed 'nizhniy' (not sure on the spelling) means 'new', due to placenames like Nizhniy Novgorod.

Thanks to my learning of English i'm not too competent at reading Russian. I can help you if you like though, I know the basics.

And 'nizhny' would mean 'lower', new in Russian is 'novi or noviya'. So Nizhniy Novgorod would mean Lower Novgorod, maybe even "Lower Newtown"!

That explains this series of fantasy books I read once which was all based on Celticy stuff, and the words "yes" and "no" appeared NOWHERE in the text. It took me a couple of books to notice this and it freaked me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom