Blowhard Victoria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, I'm down with moving the conversation in another direction.

phillyfan26 said:
Just reading it again, it's me almost like coaching him, saying things like "The playlist needs to start doing this now ..." It's humorous in that sense.

There were some things I really liked about his, the song choices, the flow, the concept ... which seems like it should be everything, but there's something missing. As I've said, I think the playlist peaked at Summer '68, and it really lacks a strong ending I think.

:lol: Well, yeah, I but I was pretty critical of your list as well, overly so. It's only fair. Coach away.

Personally, I think my playlist peaks with All I Need and tapers off from there. It didn't need a strong final song because the purpose of it was to play as if it were the song over the credits. It's a summation, not a plot point. I don't really care for the idea of ending something with a 10 minute epic. It's just not necessary.

LemonMelon said:
:lol: Well, yeah, I but I was pretty critical of your list as well, overly so. It's only fair. Coach away.

Personally, I think my playlist peaks with All I Need and tapers off from there. It didn't need a strong final song because the purpose of it was to play as if it were the song over the credits. It's a summation, not a plot point. I don't really care for the idea of ending something with a 10 minute epic. It's just not necessary.

This is my comment about 15 songs in:

"The consistency is remarkable, but it needs to get going somewhere. The playlist is good, the songs are good, the consistency is good, but there’s nothing jumping out at me yet."

Oh, and I couldn't help throwing a movie line in:

"There are two types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don’t."

phillyfan26 said:

This is my comment about 15 songs in:

"The consistency is remarkable, but it needs to get going somewhere. The playlist is good, the songs are good, the consistency is good, but there’s nothing jumping out at me yet."

Oh, and I couldn't help throwing a movie line in:

"There are two types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don’t."

You never disappoint with the What About Bob references.

My mental note for your second half, particularly 5 or 6 songs in was "for the love of god, please get moving". :lol: Devil's Arcade--->Knocking On Heaven's Door was a stroke of genius though.

Disc 2, Side A was the one I had the most trouble with and moved around the most. I never felt that I finished it.

My favorite part of your list was Country Feedback > Staring at the Sun > Summer '68. Fantastic trio there.

And, I've just begun Genesis-fest on Screwtape's list. The first nine were great. Not sure how this will go.

So, if I gather this correctly, your main criticism of my playlist was that it lacked cornerstone songs, that is, it just kind of carried the plot forward, but no songs jumped out in particular? I can understand that.

Yeah, pretty much. It's sort of like your criticism of me having too many ballads at the end, only the opposite.

There's a definitive summer feel to your album. It's the ideal for something to play poolside or at a barbecue or something.

I think your song choice was very good though. I was surprised that I liked each of the first 17 songs in your playlist (I think it was 17).

phillyfan26 said:
Yeah, pretty much. It's sort of like your criticism of me having too many ballads at the end, only the opposite.

There's a definitive summer feel to your album. It's the ideal for something to play poolside or at a barbecue or something.

The problem with that is, had I chosen to place large songs to sum up the plot points and break up the acts, it would do just that, it would break things up. There would be fewer songs overall (likely taking away some of the variety), and the flow and consistency that you like so much would not be present. I mean, it's all up to taste at the end of the day, but I'm just trying to give you my logic behind the choices I made. I certainly took all of this into consideration.

Oh yeah, I get it, I'm just saying where I felt it lacked.

Your list is one of the better ones I've heard (among the symphonic albums and the few I've been listening to this time around).

10 minutes in on Genesis. :huh:

phillyfan26 said:

10 minutes in on Genesis. :huh:

Not liking it. :reject:

I thought it was perfect for my theme but knew most people wouldn't like it. One song shouldn't be the difference between win or loss I don't think. Everyone's playlist has a song someone doesn't like. We'll see. :shrug:

But you liked the the other songs on the first disc?

It's not as much the fact that it's directionless, it's that I just flat out don't like most of it.

I really think I should have made a second playlist and chosen one. I didn't have that much time, so I just tried to revise the one I'd made.

Really would have liked to have used "Wet Sand" instead of "Under the Bridge," but the transition to "Ten Years Gone" plus its obvious theme relations made it a good fit there.

Yeah, All I Need in LeMel's list didn't do it for me.

The ending of this Genesis song is much better than the beginning and middle.

Screwtape2 said:

Thank you. The last 8 1/2 minutes are stunning.

"666 is the number of the lord!" :combust:

:rockon: Foxtrot

Let's all give Screwtape some credit, regardless of whether or not you like the song, it was very smart of him to place it at the end of disc 1, rather than at the beginning or middle. People do that all the time, and it destroys the flow.

Because my voice is mostly gone, my English teacher asked me to break out Don Corleone lines from the Godfather today in class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom