Best Song Survivor: 1990s/2000s Semifinal, Round Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite song?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is this supposed to be a dig at HMTMKMKM or Colors of the Wind? They're both great songs, otherwise they would have not been nominated. Regardless, the way songs are judged in regards to movies is not "which song sounds best" but which song advanced the film more. That's why so many Disney songs won in the early '90s.

Had MacPhisto been a villain in Batman Forever like he was supposed to, he would have had a fair shot. In the early '90s, Alan Menken et al were award juggernauts. And Colors of the Wind is a wonderful song. Have you heard the multi-language version? I get frisson from it every time.

Anyway, I'm voting for MOS, merely because I enjoy HMTMKMKM more. MOS fans, don't fret. MOS already won the round it was competing in and it's clear to see that now it is the best song on what was a clearly mediocre record (in your opinion). I can't speak for the hive mind (since I've only been here a few weeks) but this is a great listing of songs, MOS included. I mean it beat every song on How To Dismantle a Good Band. :wink:

Fucking Batman.

This place has to be the most insane forum on planet earth. Only on Interference is Beautiful Day not a top 20 U2 song of all time, much less the fucking decade it was released in.

:down:

Fucking Batman.

This place has to be the most insane forum on planet earth. Only on Interference is Beautiful Day not a top 20 U2 song of all time, much less the fucking decade it was released in.

:down:
So which song should win this 1990s/2000s round? I'll agree with you that it shouldn't have been knocked out this early in the competition, but if The Fly doesn't win this 1990s/2000s round I will be (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Didn't The Hands That Built America win the Golden Globe?

Now that's a great U2 song for ya!

Yes, I am being sarcastic, just in case somebody's sarcasm detector is a bit rusty these days.

Only on Interference is Beautiful Day not a top 20 U2 song of all time.

The majority of people I've met, U2 fans or no, don't even like that song. Most of them started with U2 way before that song ever came out.

How is this relevant though? Noone with a shred of credibility ever called THTBA a great song, a great U2 song, or a song that millions loved to sing along to.

Beautiful Day is that track, and it being voted out just shows how badly some are in need of a taste transplant.

The majority of people I've met, U2 fans or no, don't even like that song. Most of them started with U2 way before that song ever came out.
The majority of people I've met don't like U2, but do like Beautiful Day.

It's not my favourite U2 song by any means, but it is a great song.

How is this relevant though? Noone with a shred of credibility ever called THTBA a great song, a great U2 song, or a song that millions loved to sing along to.

Who gives a fuck? Millions sing along to Bon Jovi.

So they do, and Livin On A Prayer is a great fucking song, way better than THTBA.

Or is it not hip to actually admit that Bon Jovi actually wrote a decent song or two? :rolleyes:

I'll admit I would never, ever want a taste transplant if you were the donor.

Maybe from Axver, a well-behaved Hive member. But then I would like Friday I'm in Love by The Cure, which is my idea of hell.

Yeah, it' really makes you wonder how BD managed to go #1 in ten countries, sell in the millions, propel ATYCLB to being of of U2's most successful records and put them back on top, while continuing to be a constant presence and favourite at every U2 show since it was released, despite the fact that "the majority of people that you've met" don't like the song.

Truly an accomplishment by U2 to transcend your personal circle. Must be another conspiracy theory.

Maybe, but donating taste to you would be like giving a terminally ill person a nose job, so there's that.

Now that's harsh. Seems I touched a nerve.

My point is proven.

The feeling is mutual.

Yeah, it' really makes you wonder how BD managed to go #1 in ten countries, sell in the millions, propel ATYCLB to being of of U2's most successful records and put them back on top, while continuing to be a constant presence and favourite at every U2 show since it was released, despite the fact that "the majority of people that you've met" don't like the song.

I didn't say it was an accomplishment. It's just a way of saying that it is a big world out there with many opinions and that opinions are not legitimized or better or made any more credible in any way by millions who like the song or how well a song charted, which is something nobody here who is often accused on "hating the hits" would ever say.

Same goes for liking a song because it is obscure and it never charted, which is equally ridiculous.

Boy, I'm gonna be glad when all this is over.

Sorry, Digi! You're doing a rad job and it's wonderful, and science thanks your effort. But I'm still gonna be really fucking glad when it's over.

Didn't The Hands That Built America win the Golden Globe?

FWIW, that's a special exception. It won 90% because of the connection to 9/11, and 10% because it was attached to a Scorcese movie. Lose Yourself would have and should have won had it not been for 'merica. I like the song personally.

And gvox, I do like Beautiful Day and it deserves to be in the top 10 of the '90s/'00s. Ultimately, if you want a truthful poll, it would need to be a blind poll. If that were the case, Beautiful Day would be here and Moment of Surrender (or even HMTMKMKM) would not. That being said, there's a total of what, 50 votes being tallied here? It's not exactly the best sample population. I'm sure if you ran this on google's home page, the answer would just be With or Without You, hands down. You take what you can get from fan forums, ultimately. :wave:

FWIW, that's a special exception. It won 90% because of the connection to 9/11, and 10% because it was attached to a Scorcese movie. Lose Yourself would have and should have won had it not been for 'merica. I like the song personally.

And gvox, I do like Beautiful Day and it deserves to be in the top 10 of the '90s/'00s. Ultimately, if you want a truthful poll, it would need to be a blind poll. If that were the case, Beautiful Day would be here and Moment of Surrender (or even HMTMKMKM) would not. That being said, there's a total of what, 50 votes being tallied here? It's not exactly the best sample population. I'm sure if you ran this on google's home page, the answer would just be With or Without You, hands down. You take what you can get from fan forums, ultimately. :wave:

With or Without You has a big chance of winning this as well, although the sample population on google's home page would mostly know that song and 20 more. Why does one need a blind poll for it to be "truthful" in this case?

Rightly so, as it's one of the best pop ballads of our times. I don't think you'd find a U2 fan, hardcore or nerdcore, who would deny it. :wink:

Of course there are fans who would deny it. And that's great, because it shows a variety of opinions. I find that far more interesting than being in sync with "millions who sing along".

Back
Top Bottom