Best of album Nov 20th discussion Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:
Personally I dont have a problem with a greatest hits package. My problem with this one is that they have already released two packages previously pretty much covering the same period except the last album and a half. The timing of it makes it look like a money grab. Its too soon for ANOTHER greatest hits. They could be trying to get out of their contract. Which is actually a good business move if that is the intent. I just think they could have come up with something better to release if they needed to put out some type of album.

I'm agreeing with Blue Room whole-heartedly on this. Which is strange, because we often disagree. :wink:

I just don't see the point in releasing another compilation when there are two existing compilations that cover the exact same material, except for HTDAAB.

GibsonGirl said:

I just don't see the point in releasing another compilation when there are two existing compilations that cover the exact same material, except for HTDAAB.
:up:
This sums up everything I was going to say on the subject of a 'new' best of.

everybody is just calling this a 'cash grab' and 'selling out' bla bla bla by u2. at this point in their career with alllllll the millions theyve already earned do you really think they would put it out to make a few more million dollars? i'm inclined to go ahead and say no.

as for one thing, it's a contractual obligation for them to release a best of. who cares if it's the best of 2000-2010, or 1979-2006. i don't give a crap when it's released.

perhaps with receord sales being down this year the record company wanted u2 to release something to boost sales, and perhaps u2 wanted to extend their fanbase some more by adding the green day collaboration to the cd in hopes of reaching a different demographic for their fanbase.

perhaps they also wanted a disc to release a new single on instead of just having a single supporting no album whatsoever. they did seem overly giddy about the abbey road sessions so maybe they just really wanted to release a song. who knows. i'm inclined to give u2 the benefit of the doubt and look forward to hearing this new song greatly.

GibsonGirl said:

I'm agreeing with Blue Room whole-heartedly on this. Which is strange, because we often disagree. :wink:

Once again, most casual fans (or just people who want to try a U2 album out) would rather buy one album than two albums (and they certainly don't want to choose between two albums). When someone doesn't know much about a band's music, but just knows a few songs they've heard on the radio, the last thing they want to do is make a choice between a bunch of albums. A complete Best Of is perfect for people like this. There is a huge point in releasing this for the vast majority of music fans, which does not include the U2 fanatic or diehard or even the knowledgable U2 fan. There are a lot more of the casual fans than there are of us! :)

Michael Griffiths said:

Once again, most casual fans (or just people who want to try a U2 album out) would rather buy one album than two albums (and they certainly don't want to choose between two albums). When someone doesn't know much about a band's music, but just knows a few songs they've heard on the radio, the last thing they want to do is make a choice between a bunch of albums. A complete Best Of is perfect for people like this. There is a huge point in releasing this for the vast majority of music fans, which does not include the U2 fanatic or diehard or even the knowledgable U2 fan. There are a lot more of the casual fans than there are of us! :)

Once again ... why the overprotection of the casual fans?
They're just snobs, posers, wannabies, material kids. Why on earth the band are on their knees and kiss their asses?. They have a HUGE fan base already, so it's about time they think in fans like all of us instead :heart:

If they release ANYTHING for the long-time fan base instead (for example, a 4-5 CD Singles, Promos and EP Box set) it will sell like hotcakes anyway!, that's something guaranteed because they are U2.

So they shouldn't be afraid of releasing something bigger, the sales will be guaranteed all the time ;)

ponkine said:

They're just snobs, posers, wannabies, material kids.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

I understand wanting to get something special once in a while, a perk for being a long-term fan, but GIVE ME A BREAK.

Are you a HUGE, GIANT, SUPER OMG FAN of every band you own a CD for? Because there's no way YOU could just be a casual fan of ANY performer, because that apparently would make YOU a snob, poser, wannabe, material kid.

I cannot give this next word any more emphasis:

SHEESH!

Last edited:
ponkine said:

They're just snobs, posers, wannabies, material kids.

Can we ban people for this? :wink: Almost everyone started as a casual fan at some point.

Seriously though, this is pathetic. Leave the forum.

VintagePunk said:
Salome, Utoo, let's face it, there are some people around here who would complain no matter what the band does. It honestly makes me wonder why they would be willing participants in something that brings them so much negativity, when there are so many other entertainment choices out there.

Could it be (gasp) that they enjoy complaining and arguing? :ohmy:

:|

Seriously, if you know there's going to be bitching and moaning then why come in here and read it and then bitch about the bitching? :huh: :| :slant:

I dunno. I think U2 have released a huge amount of stuff, especially since their "comeback" since Pop. The fact that they released 2 DVD's from the same tour is pretty risky, the expanded decade best-ofs, you've got the U2 Show book, the U2 by U2 book, the Bomb deluxe set, a Vertigo show DVD, now they are starting to get the older VHS shows transferred to DVD.

Basically every Christmas is U2-centric. Let them release the best-of for people who don't want to wade into such a towering catalog. I mean, they wouldn't have had a new record by this time anyway. Don't take it so personally. All the stuff you want will see the light of day. You don't need it now, now, now.

ponkine said:

(for example, a 4-5 CD Singles, Promos and EP Box set)

Once again, for the umpteenth time: Wait until U2 are dead and gone before you go wanting a Box Set. If they put out a box set in 2006, everyone would bitch and moan that the one they put out when they retire is as redundant as this disc--only worse, because they'd have spent $60 on the first box set. :huh:

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:
It honestly makes me wonder why they would be willing participants in something that brings them so much negativity, when there are so many other entertainment choices out there.

Could it be (gasp) that they enjoy complaining and arguing? :ohmy:

:|

DING DING DING we have a winner!!!

(ignore the thought police's usual suspects who complain about "moaning about the moaning" - all they need to do is turn their attention 180 degrees around and they just might get it)

Utoo said:

If they put out a box set in 2006, everyone would bitch and moan that the one they put out when they retire is as redundant as this disc--only worse, because they'd have spent $60 on the first box set. :huh:

:heart: Nobody who considere himself/herself a U2 fan can bitch this

U2 – The Singles & Promos Collection

Disc One:

1- Out Of Control: Ireland Single1979
2- Another Day: Ireland Single 1980
3- 11 O’Clock Tick Tock: Single 1980
4- A Day Without Me: Single 1980
5- I Will Follow: Single 1980
6- Fire: Single 1981
7- Gloria: Single 1981
8- A Celebration: Single 1982
9- New Year’s Day: Single 1983
10-Two Hearts Beat As One: Single 1983
11-Sunday Bloody Sunday: Single 1983
12-“40”: Germany Single 1983
13-The Electric Co (live): A Dialogue With U2 Promo 1983
14-Pride: Single 1984
15-Wire: Promo 1985
16-The Unforgettable Fire: Single 1985
17-MLK: The Unforgettable Fire Single 1985

Disc Two:

1- A Sort Of Homecoming: Promo 1985
2- Bad: Cassette Promo 1985
3- With Or Without You: Single 1987
4- I Still Haven’t Found: Single 1987
5- Where The Streets Have No Name: Single 1987
6- In God’s Country: US Single 1987
7- One Tree Hill: Australia/NZ Single 1987
8- Red Hill Mining Town: Special Collection Promo 1987
9- Trip Through Your Wires: Promo 1987
10-Desire: Single 1988
11-Angel Of Harlem: Single 1988
12-When Love Comes To Town: Single 1989
13-All I Want Is You: Single 1989
14-God Part II: Promo 1989
15-Night And Day: Promo Single 1990
16-The Fly: single 1991
17-Mysterious Ways: Single 1991

Disc Three:

1- Zoo Station: Promo 1992
2- Until The End Of The World: Promo 1992
3- One: Single 1992
4- Even Better Than The Real Thing: Single 1992
5- Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: Single 1992
6- Numb: Video Single 1993
7- Lemon: Single 1993
8- Stay: Single 1993
9- Zooropa: Promo 1993
10-Hold Me Trill Me Kiss Me Kill Me: Single 1995
11-Miss Sarajevo: Single 1995
12-Theme From Mission Impossible: 1996
13-Discotheque: Single 1997
14-Holy Joe: Pop Japan Box Set Promo 1997
15-Staring At The Sun:Single 1997
16-Last Nigh On Earth: Single 1997
17-Please (live): Popheart EP Single 1997

Disc Four:

1- Please: Single 1997
2- If God Will Send His Angels: Single 1997
3- Mofo (album version): UK Promo 1997
4- The Sweetest Thing (the single mix): Single 1998
5- The Ground Beneath Her Feet: Promo 2000
6- Beautiful Day: Single 2000
7- Stuck In A Moment: Single 2001
8- Elevation: Single 2001
9- Walk On: Single 2001
10-Electrical Storm: Single 2002
11-The Hands That Built America: Promo 2003
12-Vertigo: Single 2004
13-All Because Of You: Single 2005
14-Sometimes You Can’t Make It: Single 2005
15-City Of Blinding Lights: Single 2005
16-Original Of The Species: Promo Single 2005
17-The Saints Are Coming: Promo Single 2006

:heart:

Last edited:
U2girl said:

(ignore the thought police's usual suspects who complain about "moaning about the moaning" - all they need to do is turn their attention 180 degrees around and they just might get it)

Really? What is it that I need to get? Enlighten me.

I wasn't aware that someone was forcing people to read these threads about people complaining about another best of.

Um, how about that once the moaning itself stops the moaning about the moaning will too? I suppose it's easier to focuse on one side alone though.

Oh and BINGO. Let's let that apply to all complaints.

Last edited:
ponkine said:

They're just snobs, posers, wannabies, material kids. Why on earth the band are on their knees and kiss their asses?. They have a HUGE fan base already, so it's about time they think in fans like all of us instead :heart:

If they release ANYTHING for the long-time fan base instead (for example, a 4-5 CD Singles, Promos and EP Box set) it will sell like hotcakes anyway!, that's something guaranteed because they are U2.

So they shouldn't be afraid of releasing something bigger, the sales will be guaranteed all the time ;)

:huh:

U2girl said:
Um, how about that once the moaning itself stops the moaning about the moaning will too? I suppose it's easier to focuse on one side alone though.

Oh and BINGO. Let's let that apply to all complaints.

:yawn: is right.

some people just don't get it.

I say leave the complainers in peace. Who cares what they think?

ponkine said:

:heart: Nobody who considere himself/herself a U2 fan can bitch this

U2 – The Singles & Promos Collection

Disc One:

1- Out Of Control: Ireland Single1979
2- Another Day: Ireland Single 1980
3- 11 O’Clock Tick Tock: Single 1980
4- A Day Without Me: Single 1980
5- I Will Follow: Single 1980
6- Fire: Single 1981
7- Gloria: Single 1981
8- A Celebration: Single 1982
9- New Year’s Day: Single 1983
10-Two Hearts Beat As One: Single 1983
11-Sunday Bloody Sunday: Single 1983
12-“40”: Germany Single 1983
13-The Electric Co (live): A Dialogue With U2 Promo 1983
14-Pride: Single 1984
15-Wire: Promo 1985
16-The Unforgettable Fire: Single 1985
17-MLK: The Unforgettable Fire Single 1985

Disc Two:

1- A Sort Of Homecoming: Promo 1985
2- Bad: Cassette Promo 1985
3- With Or Without You: Single 1987
4- I Still Haven’t Found: Single 1987
5- Where The Streets Have No Name: Single 1987
6- In God’s Country: US Single 1987
7- One Tree Hill: Australia/NZ Single 1987
8- Red Hill Mining Town: Special Collection Promo 1987
9- Trip Through Your Wires: Promo 1987
10-Desire: Single 1988
11-Angel Of Harlem: Single 1988
12-When Love Comes To Town: Single 1989
13-All I Want Is You: Single 1989
14-God Part II: Promo 1989
15-Night And Day: Promo Single 1990
16-The Fly: single 1991
17-Mysterious Ways: Single 1991

Disc Three:

1- Zoo Station: Promo 1992
2- Until The End Of The World: Promo 1992
3- One: Single 1992
4- Even Better Than The Real Thing: Single 1992
5- Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: Single 1992
6- Numb: Video Single 1993
7- Lemon: Single 1993
8- Stay: Single 1993
9- Zooropa: Promo 1993
10-Hold Me Trill Me Kiss Me Kill Me: Single 1995
11-Miss Sarajevo: Single 1995
12-Theme From Mission Impossible: 1996
13-Discotheque: Single 1997
14-Holy Joe: Pop Japan Box Set Promo 1997
15-Staring At The Sun:Single 1997
16-Last Nigh On Earth: Single 1997
17-Please (live): Popheart EP Single 1997

Disc Four:

1- Please: Single 1997
2- If God Will Send His Angels: Single 1997
3- Mofo (album version): UK Promo 1997
4- The Sweetest Thing (the single mix): Single 1998
5- The Ground Beneath Her Feet: Promo 2000
6- Beautiful Day: Single 2000
7- Stuck In A Moment: Single 2001
8- Elevation: Single 2001
9- Walk On: Single 2001
10-Electrical Storm: Single 2002
11-The Hands That Built America: Promo 2003
12-Vertigo: Single 2004
13-All Because Of You: Single 2005
14-Sometimes You Can’t Make It: Single 2005
15-City Of Blinding Lights: Single 2005
16-Original Of The Species: Promo Single 2005
17-The Saints Are Coming: Promo Single 2006

:heart:

while that's a great collection, who, besides us diehards, would actually buy the collection?

i think we all need to remember that it's ok for the band to make good marketing decisions.

WildHoneyAlways said:

:yawn: is right.

some people just don't get it.

I say leave the complainers in peace. Who cares what they think?

Are you you complaining about the complainers who complain about the complaining? :wink:

We're all guilty here. I am just sick of the negativity.

mikal said:

while that's a great collection, who, besides us diehards, would actually buy the collection?

i think we all need to remember that it's ok for the band to make good marketing decisions.

No, no it is not okay for the band to make good marketing decisions.

I want more box sets than Kiss right now.

come on Ponkie make it happen!

Back
Top Bottom