Best live band or singer other than U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen with Freddie Mercury were indeed awesome live. :)

Elvis Costello - every show is full of energy, his voice is strong as ever, and I've seen him numerous times. Has a great catalog of music to play from. :love:

Roger Waters - great voice, great show every time. Never disappointing! :up:

Midnight Oil with Peter Garrett. Those were the days :drool:
So much Power & Passion :wink: live it's unreal. Rob Hurst pounding those drums, and Peter all over the place, great vocals, :drool: I miss them :sad:

I'd name more, but the ones above (except Queen) I have seen more than once.

Just saw Chris Cornell last night, and he was incredible, as he was when I saw him with Audioslave :up:

Pearl Jam!!! Vedder rocking the fuck out with a bottle in his hand and playing to a huge open air venue overlooking the beautiful Ben Franklin bridge & the Philadelphia skyline on a warm summer night! I was there. :drool:

a tie between Bruce and E Street, The Flaming Lips, and Arcade Fire.

If I see any of these bands live, there will need to be a defibrillator on-site.

AtomicBono said:

as for the original topic... probably the best concert I've been to besides U2 was Bloc Party. They're very energetic live and it was just so much fun rockin out in GA up front. I love bands you can jump to practically the whole show :rockon:

Arcade Fire is good too but frankly I don't get why everyone seems to think they're the second coming of Jesus or whatever. I mean, they are good live, but they're not the best I've seen :shrug: but they're still very young and show much potential.

:yes: I couldn't agree with you more if I tried, Atomic! :D

Seriously, Bloc Party is amazing live. I never thought a band I'd only recently discovered would shoot up to my Top 5 concerts of all time!

And again, with Arcade Fire, everyone I know was touting them as the second coming live . . . and, well, they were really good, but by no means great. :no: I love their albums, but I think their live performance was a bit overrated. :shrug:

Aside from U2, my picks would have to be Radiohead, Bloc Party and Underworld. Those are probably the best shows I've ever been to (U2 gets 2 spots, 1 for Zoo TV - Inside Broadcast and 1 for Vertigo). :applaud:

There are loads of bands/singers who aren't quite in that top tier who are fantastic live, for varying reasons. Just a few from the last few months who were unreal: Michael Franti/Spearhead, the Scissor Sisters, Lyrics Born, Damien Rice.

Radiohead (not seen [YET :wink:] but talking in terms of playing their stuff live out of their studio where most bands will thrive sadly :()
Polysics
Devo

FitzChivalry said:

:no: It would be heresy if I had never seen Arcade Fire and said they were overrated live.

However, I have seen Arcade Fire live, and therefore, I can say from empirical experience, they are overrated live.

So there! :p :whistle:

yep same here

I'll admit that Rebellion (Lies) and Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) were really great live. Also they didn't play Wake Up which I bet is great live...they're good, no doubt, but they're not the most amazing band I've ever seen. U2, Bloc Party, and Wilco are definitely better, or at least I enjoyed them more. Bright Eyes and The Killers were really good too, probably about on par with AF.

one of my favourite shows was seeing Alien Ant Farm...the actual concert was pretty much straight moshing but afterwards I hung out backstage for like an hour and played the guitarist's guitar :wink:

FitzChivalry said:

:no: It would be heresy if I had never seen Arcade Fire and said they were overrated live.

However, I have seen Arcade Fire live, and therefore, I can say from empirical experience, they are overrated live.

So there! :p :whistle:

Heresy

n.

An opinion or a doctrine at variance with established religious beliefs, especially dissension from or denial of Roman Catholic dogma by a professed believer or baptized church member.
~~~

Yep, that's you alright. :wink: :giggle:

Muse - before seeing them live they were just another band I liked a lot, now they're my biggest musical crush since U2 back in 2000, :drool:

Lisa Gerrard - her voice is magnificent on records, but listening to her live made me feel as if I was in a presence of some celestial being from another universe. Absolutely mesmerising.

gareth brown said:
Radiohead (not seen [YET :wink:] but talking in terms of playing their stuff live out of their studio where most bands will thrive sadly :()
Polysics
Devo

I've seen Radiohead last Summer, and it really SUCKED!

Sorry....

There are quite a few bands that I looooved live, but the one that sticks out the most in my mind....other than U2 is Bon Jovi. Ok, so my New Jersey native throws us back to big hair 80's rock, but they still produce a fantastic show, especially at Giants Stadium!

cruzila said:
There are quite a few bands that I looooved live, but the one that sticks out the most in my mind....other than U2 is Bon Jovi. Ok, so my New Jersey native throws us back to big hair 80's rock, but they still produce a fantastic show, especially at Giants Stadium!

I don't know why, but when I see this live video and it hits de 0:31 mark, the sight of Richie Sambora, the camera... I don't know, but I get paralyzed.... its amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GamFQ5ylDVg

pepokiss said:
Franz Ferdinand is a lot of fun (even if Kapranos doesn't sing well)

:up: Franz Ferdinand ARE a lot of fun! :yes:

They're not my favorite live act aside from U2, but they are very good live. I've seen them 3 times at festivals and EVERY time I've been very impressed and had a lot of fun during their set.

Franz live = :applaud:

Yes Franz :hyper: how could I forget them? Well they're among my favourites aswell (not as much as the other two I mentioned), just because they transmit such a great positive energy at concerts... They may not be great musicians but they know how to make and exelent show, and that's just their goal: to have a good time and make fans have a good time, not to see a piece of art.

I just don't agree when you say Kapranos can't sing... He's not a great singer (far from that) and he goes out of key sometimes, but I like his voice. Very low and smooth... Just listen to Swallow Smile and you'll know what I mean (if you haven't listened to it yet...) And live he's amazing i my opinion... He has a certain aura around him.

cruzila said:

:up:

Prince is also amazing live!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Are you joking? I mean I'm a fan, but I know about 20 bands better than that live...

I was gonna post a different clip that really showed how well the stone roses could play but i couldn't find "i am the resurrection" on you tube .
Having said that though i still believe the stone roses had a better guitarist, a better drummer and better singer than U2 have. Im not disagreeing with you that there are probably 20 bands better than them live, there may well be, but from what ive seen the stone roses were an amazing live band and id rate them above U2 easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom